U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:55 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,386,407 times

Advertisements

Growing up my parents never had guns in the house, nor did we ever hunt. Through out high school I went to friends ranches and have seen them hunt, but never participated. Now that I'm a grown up and am looking for some calm & reasonably priced hobbies, hunting has peaked my interest. I have some buddies that recently acquired access to some land on the Texas and Oklahoma boarder. The owner is wanting to bring out cows, but would like to rid the area as much as possible from hogs and coyotes. He does not live on the land nor use it for the time being. I decided to purchase my first firearm on Friday, Mossberg ATR 100 .270, and we went out early Saturday morning. Didn't see a thing, but I had a BLAST still. Hope to continue to use this land with them, but I'm looking for some other places. Leases seem to run fairly expensive, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Any information would be appreciated! I'm just looking for something simple right now with annual access. Below are pics from last weekend!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
It looks like you have a rare opportunity. The ground looked pretty fair. My only advice, go afield with experience. Don't lone wolf it. Listen to the old timers, in particular, and take the wisdom to heart. Though its often spoken in metaphors, its chock full of important tips. Good hunting.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:54 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,589,323 times
How's your Mossberg shoot? A friend of mine bought one late last summer in .30-06 and that rig did not perform very well at all. Changed scopes, rounds- we could not get it to group at 100yards. It was literally all over the place. He took it back and got a Tikka T3 which immediately grouped an inch at 100yds.

I'm curious if this is a one-off problem or others see similar issues.

Good luck hunting and as mentioned- find some partners that know what they're doing. I had to chuckle when I read you are looking for 'affordable hobbies', lol. It can get spendy in a hurry. Just ask my wife, lol.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It looks like you have a rare opportunity. The ground looked pretty fair. My only advice, go afield with experience. Don't lone wolf it. Listen to the old timers, in particular, and take the wisdom to heart. Though its often spoken in metaphors, its chock full of important tips. Good hunting.
Thanks, I just have to find some seasoned hunters that allow me to tag along now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
How's your Mossberg shoot? A friend of mine bought one late last summer in .30-06 and that rig did not perform very well at all. Changed scopes, rounds- we could not get it to group at 100yards. It was literally all over the place. He took it back and got a Tikka T3 which immediately grouped an inch at 100yds.

I'm curious if this is a one-off problem or others see similar issues.

Good luck hunting and as mentioned- find some partners that know what they're doing. I had to chuckle when I read you are looking for 'affordable hobbies', lol. It can get spendy in a hurry. Just ask my wife, lol.
I'm going to the range sometime this week to get it perfect, but I put 3 rounds into a PigOut just at about 100 yards out grouped within a few inches. Still getting used to it and shooting. I've never shot something the large, and it's been 10+ years. Also I should have put quotes around affordable. My last hobby was racing, so this is a little easier on the wallet.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:31 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,677,539 times
Just an FYI, but full-sized hogs (feral hogs or Russian Boar) can hurt you if you stumble on a herd up close and they get a chance to charge. Hurt you bad. They can weigh in the hundreds of pounds.

A .270 Win is a great caliber, but a bolt-action is kinda slow for rapid shooting up close. I highly suggest getting a side-arm for backup while out in hog country. Something on the order of a .45ACP semi-auto (Glock 21 or Springfield Arms XD) or a .357 Magnum revolver. Carry it loaded and chambered and practice frequently.

Other than that, welcome to the sport!

As for leases, maybe post in a local City Data sub-forum. Scroll down to your state, and there may be a city sub-forum.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 02-16-2015 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 19 days ago)

10,289 posts, read 10,446,371 times
I thought the AR-10 was standard equipment for big hogs. Here in VA an AR-15 will likely suffice, but if you have big hogs out there in TX, something that can put a lot of 150 grain .308 downrange in short order may be the right gun.

At any rate, congrats, OP on the new hobby. I recently started myself. I didn't get out this past deer season but I am planning to try again this fall/winter.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:31 PM

My friends bow hunt hogs every year in GA. It's not critical to have an AR-10. I would be totally comfortably with my .270 or .257 Roberts AI bolts on that animal.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 19 days ago)

10,289 posts, read 10,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My friends bow hunt hogs every year in GA. It's not critical to have an AR-10. I would be totally comfortably with my .270 or .257 Roberts AI bolts on that animal.
True, you don't necessarily need one. Bows and ARs seem to be the common implements. Those animals are mean, though. I'd feel a lot better if I could sling some serious lead in their direction in the event I run into a small swarm of them.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 PM

I'm not an expert by any means, but my friend has had one charge in 10-15 years. A big boar he hit broadside with 00 buck (which only dented his plate). He simply stood to the side as the pig ran past. Apparently they don't turn on a dime. His buddy sank an arrow into him. It was a big boar- maybe 300lbs.

There is another thread below on pig hunting where I posted some pics of those guys. My buddy shot one with a SA Vaquero .44 mag. Pretty funny to go hunting with a cowboy action firearm, lol.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:21 PM

I'll be picking up a side arm in a few weeks, but will only be used if I get tree'd. I hunt with two others that have a 270 and another with an AR. Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll be sure to post pictures once I finally get something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or