U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:55 PM

21,187 posts, read 5,520,333 times

Advertisements

Just picked up some hollow point ammo for my .357 magnum. Now I have enough full metal jacket and hollow point ammo for both my .380 and .357 to last a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:44 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,551,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
9mm has been a hot topic for as long as I can remember. LEO adopted the 9mm, found it inadequate and took up the 40sw. Now they're too much to handle, goes back to 9mm.

DUH.

I'll stick with my Sig 40.

I use 9mm and the 44 special for ccw. the actual difference in ammo comparing 9mm to 45 acp is only about 5%.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:42 PM

7,844 posts, read 7,831,875 times
Well, a .45 does make a bigger hole.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 AM

4,764 posts, read 8,393,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I use 9mm and the 44 special for ccw. the actual difference in ammo comparing 9mm to 45 acp is only about 5%.
Can you elaborate on this?

Old 01-22-2017, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 348 times
G42, G43, G33, .38 special hammerless snubby revolver (or other brand equivalent) for deep concealment. G19, G30s, G29, Taurus Tracker .44 mag with MagSafe .44 Special, (or just 44 if you can handle it) for medium con. (And equivalents: Smiths, Springfield, tah rah rah..). And all the other suggested here. Comfort, Practice, practice, practice! Hollow point (that actually expands). And possibly ammo easy and cheap to buy ( for practice mostly). Maybe even have two guns on you also.
Hope you're well.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:16 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,569,416 times
In my opinion .45ACP is the best caliber for self defense. Just go out and fill up a couple of those two liter soda bottles with sand. Shoot one with a 9mm and then one with a .45. Then you'll understand why. A .40 may be a viable alternative especially for concealed carry. A Glock G27 can easily be carried in a pocket holster and holds 9+1 in the chamber. Giving you 10 rounds of .40 in a concealable package. It also accepts 13, 15, and 22 round magazines along with a 50 round drum.

Springfield makes a nice concealable .45ACP. The "XDS" with a 3.3 inch barrel. It's a single stack that comes with a 5+1 in the chamber capacity along with a 6+1 in the chamber capacity. Giving you either 6 or 7 rounds of .45ACP. It's recoil is stout but manageable for those who are used to firing large caliber handguns.

Obviously how one can handle recoil will be the deciding factor as to which caliber is best suited for them as a direct hit with a 9mm or .380 is better than a miss with a .45ACP. With practice most people should be able to handle a .45ACP. They might want to start off with a 9mm and work their way up.

Stopping power is of paramount importance. Especially if your potential assailant is all doped up on opiates, other powerful pain killers or mind altering substances of which many of them are. They may not even realize that they've been hit and although they may later on succumb to their wounds. They may just have enough time to get ahold of your gun and kill you with it or with something else.

Head shots are more difficult especially on a moving target. It is recommended to go for center mass where 3 or 4 hits from a .45 should be more than adequate as they cause a larger wound channel. Hollow points being the preferred bullet choice.

Some semi auto's are ammunition sensitive and will only function with certain brands or style of hollow point. Some will function with anything. It's imperative to try different types/brands to determine which works best with any given semi auto. I've found that HK's, Sig's, Glock's, and Springfield's will function with just about anything right out of the box.

1911's can be somewhat ammo sensitive. They were primarily designed for use with full metal jacketed (FMJ) ammunition back in 1911. Some of the modern variants have improved on the design especially those with ramped barrels. But it's still the same basic design. None the less they are great pistols with a wide variety of parts available for them. They can be completely dis-assembled/re-assembled without the use of tools if one learns how to use some of it's parts as a tool.

1911's and their variants are single action semi auto's. The only practical way to carry one for self defense is condition one (round in the chamber, hammer cocked, and safety engaged). Disengaging a safety in a tense life or death situation is just something else you have to do. If one chooses to carry a 1911 they should practice drawing while simultaneously disengaging the safety until it becomes second nature. Obviously with an empty weapon.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:09 AM

51,082 posts, read 29,161,295 times
Avoid the .25 ACP, they are small and concealable with light recoil but you'll have to be less than 3 feet away from the person you're trying to stop and you'll have to aim at the head. At a distance of 15 feet, you'll probably have better luck stopping somebody with a .22 LR in one shot.

My personal choice is the .40 S&W or the 9mm Luger.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:25 AM

1,121 posts, read 862,042 times
I was the 40sw carry til I got my Glock G29 10mm pistol. Slightly smaller than my Sig 40 but pack a wallop. My carry ammo is the Underwood 10mm 200 XTP but I just got my 9x25 Dillon barrel so after a tryout at the range with the Underwood 9x25 124 XTP it may be my new carry. It's more powerful than the Uw 10mm 180 XTP yet lighter to carry. Less recoil and flatter shooting too.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:54 PM

3,448 posts, read 2,829,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
In my opinion .45ACP is the best caliber for self defense. Just go out and fill up a couple of those two liter soda bottles with sand. Shoot one with a 9mm and then one with a .45. Then you'll understand why. A .40 may be a viable alternative especially for concealed carry. A Glock G27 can easily be carried in a pocket holster and holds 9+1 in the chamber. Giving you 10 rounds of .40 in a concealable package. It also accepts 13, 15, and 22 round magazines along with a 50 round drum.

Stopping power is of paramount importance. Especially if your potential assailant is all doped up on opiates, other powerful pain killers or mind altering substances of which many of them are. They may not even realize that they've been hit and although they may later on succumb to their wounds. They may just have enough time to get ahold of your gun and kill you with it or with something else.

1911's and their variants are single action semi auto's. The only practical way to carry one for self defense is condition one (round in the chamber, hammer cocked, and safety engaged). Disengaging a safety in a tense life or death situation is just something else you have to do. If one chooses to carry a 1911 they should practice drawing while simultaneously disengaging the safety until it becomes second nature. Obviously with an empty weapon.
Chock-full of interesting comments, thanks.

Sensible, but my acquaintances who are operators say they've seen weird and somewhat counter-intuitive stuff in Iraq and Afghanistan regarding bullet wounds, back in the day. I say: I could go my whole life without being shot at and be just as happy. They remarked: prefered sidearm in battle is a Barrett 50 (LOL). Otherwise "stopping power" is mostly a function of how dedicated your opponent is in ending your life. I'm not disagreeing with the quoted, or those guys, it's just a point of discussion.

One of those guys, a medic by-experience also in civilian life, is decidedly anti-caliber (this) or (that). His evidence is no better or worse than anyone else's, I suppose, that being anecdotal. Unless one believes ballistic gelatin as the "last word". He had tons of observations, mostly gruesome, about what he'd seem from 7.62x39 and 5.56 (primary rifle rounds of combatants), 9mm, 357SIG, 40SW, and 45ACP. He rolled all that up into nice charts and tables then tossed it all out the window (grin), part of his presentation schtick I suppose. Those guys would roll their eyes at students who didn't have Glock 19s, HK USPs or 1911s, and AR's. Eh, that's just how they felt based on observation. They figured if you were down to your pistol for self-defense, things had already gone pretty far south. For civilians, though, that's what we carry so it's an important choice.

Couple stories on (other forum) about actual pistol shootings by us regular Joes leads me to believe chance plays a part. It's all pretty ugly, it's ugly and deadly work after all. Reading the full-length briefing on the Miami 1986 FBI shootout is pretty enlightening, too, though I might have drawn different conclusions about what does/does-not "work" in terms of caliber (I believe they went to 10mm from 9mm as a result, encountering another set of unintended consequences as a result).

I'm a 1911 and 45ACP kind of guy, for no reason other than I admire the engineering, shoot them well, and mine always goes bang. They're not everyone's cup of tea. Mine is customized for reliability and carry by a 'smith in Colorado, he's an up and comer and hope his name is famous as Ted Yost, Richard Heinie, Dave Williams, and Larry Vickers (for example), at some point.

Condition one is not the "only" way to carry for SD, but I'll definitely concede it's pretty much the fastest. I've trained pretty hard with some of the gentlemen mentioned earlier on draw, charge, and drop safety in one fell swoop from-holster, but that is an extra step for sure. Were I LEO or otherwise in "the business" I might be a Condition One kind of guy with a DeSantis or similar hammer break...those holsters are another debatable point.

The mean streets of Kirkland (not) are just not somewhere I'm used to carrying Condition One on a day-to-day basis (chuckle): my first act will be run the other way, so I'm more concerned about the nature of my footwear, truth to tell.

End of the day, my buddies and I concur on one thing only: "carry the most-est you shoot the best-est." That is the sum total of my feelings on the subject.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:38 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,569,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Chock-full of interesting comments, thanks.

End of the day, my buddies and I concur on one thing only: "carry the most-est you shoot the best-est." That is the sum total of my feelings on the subject.
You're welcome.

And agreed 100%!

Oh, I like my 1911's alright. Condition one is the only practical way of carrying a 1911 for self defense. Condition 2 (hammer down on a live round) is even more difficult than disengaging the safety. Condition 3 (full magazine hammer down on an empty chamber) and you may be better off holstering a brick.

I prefer a DA/SA or striker fired semi auto .45 for self defense. In a life or death situation, I just want to be able to draw and fire if the need were to arise.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-25-2017 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or