U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 07:40 PM

7,961 posts, read 6,710,786 times

Advertisements

Interesting to see someone mention Makarov. I bought two Russian made Makarov's some years back for about $125 each when they first started selling in the US. I used one for home protection and one for business protection. When I retired I sold one to another business owner. I consider it a simple, easy to use handgun yet I look at new handguns if for no other reason, magazine capacity.

Opinions on Makarov please.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 03:53 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,377,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Interesting to see someone mention Makarov. I bought two Russian made Makarov's some years back for about $125 each when they first started selling in the US. I used one for home protection and one for business protection. When I retired I sold one to another business owner. I consider it a simple, easy to use handgun yet I look at new handguns if for no other reason, magazine capacity.

Opinions on Makarov please.
Generally inexpensive, fit and finish is not usually up to other makes level but they are generally reliable. Ammunition performance is between .380 acp and 9mm. One of the biggest drawbacks is a lack of a wide variety of quality self defense ammo. Hornady Critical Defense and Buffalo Bore are the only ones I know making a good self defense load for the Mak.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:11 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Avoid the .25 ACP, they are small and concealable with light recoil but you'll have to be less than 3 feet away from the person you're trying to stop and you'll have to aim at the head. At a distance of 15 feet, you'll probably have better luck stopping somebody with a .22 LR in one shot.

My personal choice is the .40 S&W or the 9mm Luger.
The trouble with .25 ACP is as much the gats that use it as the round (not that the round is all that good)

If you can find an old HK-4 setup (PP like pistol with up to 4 interchangeable barrel/magazines in .22 LR, .25 ACP, .32 ACP, and .380 ACP - that is one of the few .25 ACP pistols that is not damn near impossible to hit anything with. HK-4s have been out of print for decades but occasionally are found at gun shows or used in gun shops. These are becoming too valuable as collectors items to carry, but if you have all 4 calibers available why you would carry it in anything but .380 configuration beats me.

The old Colts are small, but have rudimentary sights, the smallness of the gun means it's easy to conceal but hard to shoot accurately, and typically they have very heavy triggers. I have never heard of anyone doing a trigger job on one but I guess if you can find a creative smith anything can be done.

Anyone looking for a small gat to carry ought to check out the Kimbers in .380 and 9mm. The 9mm is not that much bigger than the .380, and the .380 will about fit in an empty cigarette pack. I have not shot either one, but would imagine the 9mm is a bit of a handful. Small for their caliber guns tend to require a good firm hold to cycle properly, so keep this in mind. The weak of hand will be better served by something bigger, IMHO.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:10 PM

154 posts, read 65,517 times
I used to read "American Rifleman" and I remember a comment about the .25 APC for a police woman to carry. The comment was, "Carry one if it makes you feel better, but don't ever shoot anyone with it, that will just make them angry, and they will hurt you."

Old 02-06-2017, 08:58 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Any DA revolver can be modified to use moon clips. My son shoots a SW 625 in competition, and it came that way. Out of necessity, since it fires 45 ACP, which, of course, is rimless. He's gotten blazing fast with that 625. He can handily beat me on reloads on my 1911. I had my mod 66 moon clipped, and love it. The clips beat speed loaders by a long way. The 625 using those short ACP rounds is really fast on reload.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:59 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,034,700 times
Just picked up a XDs .45, freaking sweet!! It's amazing the thing can fire that round.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:19 AM

6,376 posts, read 2,582,637 times
It depends entirely on your immediate situation. There is no one correct answer.

I was in an office/retail job for 22-years. Wearing a business suit and interacting with clients required a pistol that was not visible. A pocket holster was what worked best for me. That determined a pistol/holster combo that weighed 14-17 ozs.
Only the Ruger LCP (later, G42) met that. I was only concerned with carjacking or close-in conflicts. The new .380 rounds are more than adequate for point-blank discharges. No argument on that.

If I was a heavy equipment operator, a larger rig could have worked with an untucked shirt and no customer interaction. The situation variables are infinite.

Also, company policy certainly plays into how much printing is permissible. My employer's corporate policy magnanimously followed what the State law allowed.

Now that I'm retired, I still use the front pocket as a baseline, but can up the ante to whatever I want.

Seriously, most people don't put themselves in a place that is known to be trouble. That's for those that choose that risk as a profession.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:42 PM

1,651 posts, read 630,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
Where would you draw the line?
No handgun caliber will consistently instantly incapacitate someone without a CNS shot. There are endless self defense videos of bad guys getting shot multiple times center mass with 45acp or 9mm only to run off and die almost a minute later or return fire.

Carry a gun you can shoot straight that you will actually carry. A guy once told me to never let your choice of clothing dictate whether you're armed or not. Have a gun for every occasion...........he owned a gun store (great salesman) lol

I carry a 32acp pocket gun while working in a professional environment. It's not against the law, but I could lose my job if they knew I carried at work. My other carry choices are a sub-compact 9mm and a 22 mag mini revolver for when I might get wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or