U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:34 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,944,806 times

Advertisements

9mm with hollowpoints.. less recoil, higher round capacity, cheaper rounds means more practice. The best gun to carry is the one you are proficient and shooting and have practiced holstering, upholstering, dry firing while sitting watching a movie, etc.

I'd say a .22LR is better than nothing... most will flee at the sight of a gun being pointed at them, much less being shot, by any caliber. For those that don't, yes you need stopping power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:27 PM

3,805 posts, read 8,508,451 times
the more time i put in at the range (for both practice and enjoyment), i still believe for me i'd stick with the 9mm for any SD needs. I was able to shoot a friend's .45 and did pretty well with it, but it wasn't something i could see myself running thru 100-150 rounds each range visit. That's from both the ammo cost and the overall feel of it.
But my 9? I feel I could shoot that as often as i do my .22's; and as i'm still learning that is important to me..... that before i put on a holster, i am 100% confident and comfortable with my firearm. I'm not sure i'd feel that way if i had something i did not spend good quality time practicing with.

Ask me again in a couple more years, and who knows the answer may very well change.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:55 PM

18,107 posts, read 16,448,492 times
I happened across a Youtube video on self defense ammo from Lehigh Defense. They have a round for the 45 Long Colt( think cowboy sixgun shooting) for the Taurus Judge and Smith and Wesson Governor. Those two are 45/ 410 revolvers many have sneered at. Anyway Lehigh has a round of pure copper that's extended on the cartridge case. What the round does is split into 4 spikes upon penetration, sort of like a broadhead arrow. Wound channels are huge and penetration is still pretty deep. Its pissed off 44 magnum and even 500 magnum round users with its exceeding their chosen rounds damage potential. There was some talk about legality and lawsuits over that kind of deliberately lethal round. They have other rounds as well that are also pretty nasty. 9mm and .380 are two.
I think I'd rather put a few .22 LR( very under appreciated) rounds in someone and have them run( or crawl) away rather than have them die at my feet, but as they say if you pull the trigger you do so to kill your would be attacker.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:12 PM

1,109 posts, read 857,862 times
No, you don't say to kill your attacker, you'll get hung for that.

You say, to stop the threat, nothing more.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:23 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,377,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Have had EXTENSIVE with the .38 special caliber in a "wheelgun" (revolver). Have had to qualify with, carry as a sidearm in the military, teach marksmanship with, strip and clean, clear malfunctions, etc. with this caliber. It is my #1 for self defense because of familiarity and proficiency. Have used regular, target and +P loads. My second as far as familiarity is the 9mm pistol caliber. Again have had to qualify with various 9mms, clean, field strip etc. Have used ball ammo and hollow points. My third would be the .45 ACP only because I am NOT as familiar and therefore not as proficient with it. As far as someone else, personal preference. Whatever the person is the best familiar and proficient with is what I would say. Ultimately it will be the rounds fired that hit their target that ultimately decide the outcome. 50% human, 50% firearm.
I'm curious. . . How do you strip a .38 Special revolver?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,235,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I'm curious. . . How do you strip a .38 Special revolver?
It depends on the brand. Most times a firearm owner/user does not totally break down a revolver because that would not be necessary to clean a revolver but if you wish to go above normal cleaning, then watch a youtube on your type of revolver such as the one below which would cover most S&W revolvers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVsqyuM_5oo

Old 04-07-2015, 08:08 AM

5,221 posts, read 2,377,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
It depends on the brand. Most times a firearm owner/user does not totally break down a revolver because that would not be necessary to clean a revolver but if you wish to go above normal cleaning, then watch a youtube on your type of revolver such as the one below which would cover most S&W revolvers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVsqyuM_5oo
Got it. I thought you were talking about field stripping, as one would do with a semi-auto.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:03 PM

284 posts, read 269,988 times
I've always been a .40 guy personally. Albeit I had a 9mm for a hot minute ( Beretta 92FS) while not a bad gun for as big and as heavy as it was it really seemed to lack stopping power, also when shooting it felt like a cap gun.For the last 10-12 yrs I've carried a Glock 22 gen 3. One mag filled w/jhp, the next filled with fmj and the last one with alternating rounds. I will say that recently the G20 (10mm) has really caught my eye and that could very well be my next edc.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:27 PM

1,109 posts, read 857,862 times
9mm has been a hot topic for as long as I can remember. LEO adopted the 9mm, found it inadequate and took up the 40sw. Now they're too much to handle, goes back to 9mm.

DUH.

I'll stick with my Sig 40.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:20 AM

4,755 posts, read 8,381,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
9mm has been a hot topic for as long as I can remember. LEO adopted the 9mm, found it inadequate and took up the 40sw. Now they're too much to handle, goes back to 9mm.

DUH. .
Give them time... they will move to .32ACP eventually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or