U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,213,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Again I want to suggest putting the guns into soft cases and then packing them so they are fairly tight inside the safe. I have done this with an old Fort Knox safe for commercial movers.

Whatever safe you get, put the guns inside in soft cases, cover the safe with a moving blanket, and wheel it in on a hand truck.

This has worked well for me for three consecutive moves.

If you have to settle for a lightweight safe, yeah, be certain to lag it to studs in the wall. If you put in a monitored burglar alarm, and have a decent safe, I would say the odds of anyone stealing any of your guns is pretty small.

Bit off topic but if you can keep a dog onsite - would not have to be a big dog but most burglars have had run-ins with German Shepard dogs so are shy of them - adopting such out of a shelter would be the best $ spent on security you can spend.
Good advice. A guy I knew had about 12 rifles and a few handguns moved 5 states just left them in safe and they arrived with some damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:42 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,778,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Good advice. A guy I knew had about 12 rifles and a few handguns moved 5 states just left them in safe and they arrived with some damage.
Well, if he just shipped them loose in the safe, what did he expect? Using soft cases and if necessary adding some blankets, pillows, etc. so that the safe door has to be pushed closed will in general prevent damage. I have not noticed any damage (and I would be one to see it!) after any of the 3 moves.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:49 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,324,922 times
What are "snap" safes? Are those them safes that are made out of the same type of material as a highschool gym locker that bolt to the floor?

Yeah, those are ok, but they don't provide any real security or protection from dedicated theives or fire. Sure, they'll probably be enough of a deterrent to smash-and-grab type criminals or the prying and curious hands of little ones, but a theif who has a lttle bit of time on their hands could make off pretty easily with it. However, you're just going to be renting, so you may not be allowed to bolt it to the floor, and that makes it even less secure. A couple guys could easily carry one of those out in a minute or two.

Everybody has a different sitch. You got to determine what's best for you. Too many variables to consider to just give a generic answer to your question. Do you have kids? Do you want to keep a firearm close at hand in case of emergency? Are there a lot of other people where you live or is it secluded? In otherwords, would a potential theif be able to carry stuff out without being seen? Etc. etc.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:09 AM

8,903 posts, read 4,844,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What are "snap" safes? Are those them safes that are made out of the same type of material as a highschool gym locker that bolt to the floor?

Yeah, those are ok, but they don't provide any real security or protection from dedicated theives or fire. Sure, they'll probably be enough of a deterrent to smash-and-grab type criminals or the prying and curious hands of little ones, but a theif who has a lttle bit of time on their hands could make off pretty easily with it. However, you're just going to be renting, so you may not be allowed to bolt it to the floor, and that makes it even less secure. A couple guys could easily carry one of those out in a minute or two.

Everybody has a different sitch. You got to determine what's best for you. Too many variables to consider to just give a generic answer to your question. Do you have kids? Do you want to keep a firearm close at hand in case of emergency? Are there a lot of other people where you live or is it secluded? In otherwords, would a potential theif be able to carry stuff out without being seen? Etc. etc.
Snapsafe | Home Fireproof Safe, Security Cabinets, Closet Gun Vault

No kids, there will be a ready sidearm somewhere, but we are talking about the main arsenal, enough to outfit a rifle squad. There is some kind of house alarm, probably needs to be subscribed to a service, but then there's that question about the pets in the house.

Just a crazy cat lady and her herd.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:06 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
I'm seriously thinking of having a custom one made out of plate steel. It needs to be big enough for 50 or so and may as well make it a big swinging door. I can get one welded up a lot cheaper than what some of these are going for. Thoughts?

Maybe OP could go that route. I've even seen them look like Soda machines.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:49 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,446,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm seriously thinking of having a custom one made out of plate steel. It needs to be big enough for 50 or so and may as well make it a big swinging door. I can get one welded up a lot cheaper than what some of these are going for. Thoughts?

Maybe OP could go that route. I've even seen them look like Soda machines.
Sure, you can whip one together to hold guns, but, two things come to mind, fire rating and security rating. Most of the better safes have a fire rating. For instance, 1800 degrees for 15 minutes, meaning the contents would be safe in a fire under those standards. Same with a security rating, the locking mechanism can't be broke open or cracked for 20 minutes. These are things your insurance company likes to hear. What can you tell them about a home made container?
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 AM

8,903 posts, read 4,844,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sure, you can whip one together to hold guns, but, two things come to mind, fire rating and security rating. Most of the better safes have a fire rating. For instance, 1800 degrees for 15 minutes, meaning the contents would be safe in a fire under those standards. Same with a security rating, the locking mechanism can't be broke open or cracked for 20 minutes. These are things your insurance company likes to hear........
Well, there's something. Perhaps I ought to give them a phone call and talk about the subject for a few minutes.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 AM

3,972 posts, read 3,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdevan View Post
Cannon makes a 48 gun safe (TS5940DLX) It's around $1,000, but its fire proof and you can run a media storage inside. It has a 2 plug outlet and usb port inside and is still fireproof! Now if that is out of your budge they make a smaller one for about $500 that holds "only" 24 guns and doesn't have the electrical or usb. I have been eyeing the first one for some time now.
Tractor Supply has it for $999 right now but they run sales every so often. The best one is on Black Friday when this safe is right around $650.

The only downside is the holder for the long guns is too tall for carbines. Even with the adjustable stock completely extended, a carbine with a 16" barrel is about 1" too short and will fall against the back wall. Now that it is warm outside I plan on removing the center divider and cutting about 2" off the bottom.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sure, you can whip one together to hold guns, but, two things come to mind, fire rating and security rating. Most of the better safes have a fire rating. For instance, 1800 degrees for 15 minutes, meaning the contents would be safe in a fire under those standards. Same with a security rating, the locking mechanism can't be broke open or cracked for 20 minutes. These are things your insurance company likes to hear. What can you tell them about a home made container?
I hear what you are sayin but my agent is a good friend of mine. He's got a list of all my stuff so that's covered regardless. I asked him about a discount for a safe and he just gave me a blank stare. A fire would suck but I'm way more worried about theft after being broke into once before a few years ago. All they took was whatever money we had lying around. A couple grand for a safe isn't in my immediate future unfortunately.

Currently I'm using a heavy duty locker and a "WOOD" gun cabinet so anything would be an upgrade.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:34 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,324,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I hear what you are sayin but my agent is a good friend of mine. He's got a list of all my stuff so that's covered regardless. I asked him about a discount for a safe and he just gave me a blank stare. A fire would suck but I'm way more worried about theft after being broke into once before a few years ago. All they took was whatever money we had lying around. A couple grand for a safe isn't in my immediate future unfortunately.

Currently I'm using a heavy duty locker and a "WOOD" gun cabinet so anything would be an upgrade.
You can get a good quality safe for under a grand.

I don't know how many guns you have or what they're worth, but look at it this way; Spend a few hundred dollars for a good safe now, or lose a few thousand dollars in guns later on.

Man, I should really take my own advice. I don't have a real good safe at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or