U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2015, 07:31 PM
 
5,733 posts, read 4,580,552 times
Reputation: 4148

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

This presents me with a few unique issues. What weapon to select , being the biggy. She is small. Her hands are tiny, and also not as strong as they used to be. But that slides down the list when I think about training her. It won't be a normal appraoch. This is a woman who has seen the Beast. Even I, who is closer to her than anyone, don't know what to expect. I want to read thisas a desire , on her part, to take another step to totally coming back.

Hi NVplumber, I would highly recommend you have her try a sig p238 .380. It's small, lightweight, and has very little recoil. It would be perfect for someone who does not have a lot of hand strength. It's smooth and accurate and Sigs are very reliable, in my opinion. Another thing I would recommend to her is the following book which is packed full of important advice: The Cornered Cat

The best thing is to keep going to the range and practice so she can gain confidence.

peace,
sparrow

Last edited by .sparrow.; 03-24-2015 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2015, 08:06 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Reputation: 12285
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Hi NVplumber, I would highly recommend you have her try a sig p238 .380. It's small, lightweight, and has very little recoil. It would be perfect for someone who does not have a lot of hand strength. It's smooth and accurate and Sigs are very reliable, in my opinion. Another thing I would recommend to her is the following book which is packed full of important advice: The Cornered Cat

The best thing is to keep going to the range and practice so she can gain confidence.

peace,
sparrow
Mmm..a 380 is a good consideration for her. Just about the right size. I'm starting to lean in a compact auto direction for her. I just want to table the options and let her decide. So long as its not a 25 auto with pearl grips, I won't say a word. She is a quick study, and highly adaptable. She also has a strong survival drive. There is not an ounce of roll over in her. She has put her mind to this step,in her personal security. I'll do my part , building her up. I have a solid platform to work with.

Yep. This Kitty ain't no housecat any more. Bobcat, or maybe Mountain Lioness, with some barb wire fence in the DNA , for good measure. Honestly, I don't know why I overlooked a 380. I'm sorta stuck in my bigger is better mindset. Need to be more broad in my thinking.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-31-2016 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 PM
 
5,733 posts, read 4,580,552 times
Reputation: 4148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Mmm..a 380 is a good consideration for her. Just about the right size. I'm starting to lean in a compact auto direction for her. I just want to table the options and let her decide. So long as its not a 25 auto with pearl grips, I won't say a word. She is a quick study, and highly adaptable. She also has a strong survival drive. There is not an ounce of roll over in her. She has put her mind to this step,in her personal security. I'll do my part , building her up. I have a solid platform to work with.

Yep. This Kitty ain't no housecat any more. Bobcat, or maybe Mountain Lioness, with some barb wire fence in the DNA , for good measure. Honestly, I don't know why I overlooked a 380. I'm sorta stuck in my bigger is better mindset. Need to be more broad in my thinking.

Yeah, she has to have something that she will be comfortable carrying and is not too heavy or bulky or else she'll end up never carrying it. Some of the .380s I've tried were really awful, so don't judge them all based on just one. Try the sig. And get that book! It really is excellent and for the serious-minded. It's not full of fluff and it gives a lot of very responsible advice. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2015, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Reputation: 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
In a home or work place situation I would agree, but when out and about... These attacks often come from behind and in a quick second with no time to draw a weapon. Even if you are walking or get out of your car with gun in hand.... Reaction time is going to make you or break you. ...........
I recall, years ago, when I was walking at night, lost in my thoughts, and there was a sudden rapid footfall close to me. The mind flashed TARGET, I spun 315 (because of the footfall at that moment) and came up ready to strike to........

...........to a jogger leaping back with "WHOA! TAKE IT EASY!"............

Like I said, I was careless, I lost in my thoughts and should not have allowed him to get that close. But a thing or two.

First, the hand to hand skills are on automatic. Secondly, one of the things about hand to hand is..........to give you time to go for the gun if you decide to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Reputation: 12285
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I recall, years ago, when I was walking at night, lost in my thoughts, and there was a sudden rapid footfall close to me. The mind flashed TARGET, I spun 315 (because of the footfall at that moment) and came up ready to strike to........

...........to a jogger leaping back with "WHOA! TAKE IT EASY!"............

Like I said, I was careless, I lost in my thoughts and should not have allowed him to get that close. But a thing or two.

First, the hand to hand skills are on automatic. Secondly, one of the things about hand to hand is..........to give you time to go for the gun if you decide to.
Moments lime the jogger incident, you described, are jolting wake up calls. It makes your situational awareness and space sensitivity go ballistic. Like getting zapped by 240 3 phase current. Pretty unpleasant, actually. Its pretty exhausting, in reality, maintaining a constant level of alertness. Its this up and down wave, you ride, trying to hold your balance.

When my fiancé was attacked, what ended up working in her definite favor, was the overconfident and clumsy tactics used by her attacker. He came at her in a frontal oblique and tried to just knocks her down, instead of grabbing her. So he actually gave her time and distance to figure it all out. No doubt in my mind that he figured her small size have him an overwhelming advantage. Its all conjecture, what his master plan was. His end intent was perfectly clear though.

However, by knocking her back , away from him and not grabbing her, be , it turned out, inadvertantly , gave her some high ground. From bla she described it, he was even gloating. Totally confident he had total control. Precious seconds, and she used them. When he did close on her go grab her, he was met with a frantic, terrified and desperate counter attack. With a 4" Kershaw she carries in the waist pouch of her scrubs. Its a tool she uses all the time. Opening boxes and such. I gave it to her as a handy gizmo. . It came in handy, most certainly. Things did not end up as be thought they were going to.

Time and distance. Golden, precious, invaluable seconds. The worth of which can't be measured. How she must have been feeling, makes me shaky. How close things came. And it boiled down to just a few seconds of time. Its food for thought as to how we use the gold plated seconds, in every aspect of our lives. One turn of our head, deciding to go left, instead of right. Just tiny stuff that makes an eternity of difference. We can't get wasted seconds back. Makes you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Reputation: 7680
Was going to post a long drawn out response, but I'll make it short. Just remember for the grain of salt, I've been stuff like this for years, if not decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 07:21 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Reputation: 12285
No need for drawn out response. There as no question posed or such. Just an experience I felt like sharing, that covers some common ground. , such as it is. I'm not sure that titling the thread in a gender specific way actually makes sense. The same rules apply to both genders as related to defensive situations. Whether with firearms or other means.

But...I guess the short response sorta says I'm..preaching to the choir? Lol..Wasn't my intent. By, point taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Reputation: 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No need for drawn out response. There as no question posed or such. Just an experience I felt like sharing, that covers some common ground. , such as it is. I'm not sure that titling the thread in a gender specific way actually makes sense. The same rules apply to both genders as related to defensive situations. Whether with firearms or other means.

But...I guess the short response sorta says I'm..preaching to the choir? Lol..Wasn't my intent. By, point taken.
No, no, you're fine!

It's me that often gets wordy.

I was typing out this post about not just being on alert all the time but rather, having a response personalty that just swaps into place, a limited personalty with its tools for responding to such things.......

...........etc, etc, etc.........but I decide it was just easier to cut to the chase, and point out that I have been doing it for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Reputation: 12285
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No, no, you're fine!

It's me that often gets wordy.

I was typing out this post about not just being on alert all the time but rather, having a response personalty that just swaps into place, a limited personalty with its tools for responding to such things.......

...........etc, etc, etc.........but I decide it was just easier to cut to the chase, and point out that I have been doing it for a while.
Yes..me to. Decades, indeed. I've only needed to shoot in defense once. Started shooting, seriously, when I was just a little dude. Practicing with my Dad at the range at Aberdeen proving grounds. He shot for the Navy. Got really serious in JR high, then transitioned from bullseye to combat in my early 20s. Muscle memory draw and fire is burned into me.

My lady's self defense encounter makes mine look like Romper Room. The only training she's had was from me, and it wasn't due to that that she came out the "winner". There are never really any winners in that situation. At any rate, it was her shear will to not be food that pulled it off. Fear, anger, adrenaline, and probably a host of other factors, turned her into a hundred, even pounds of high explosive. Seeing her in the ER and what it all did to her, physically, mentally and emotionally was the hardest thing I've ever had to endure. And I'm no stranger to real pain. I never wished so hard in my life that I could take her pain on myself.

Its taken some time, but now she's just exploding again. Blew the shell that was around her to pieces. Now she wants to learn firearms. She's never fired a handgun in her life, but that rock hard will I mentioned is really showing. I have lots of friends in the training field that have offered support as well. Awesome folks. So she will get nothing but the best instruction. I won't settle for any less. She's too precious to me. The guys and gals I've been training and competing with , since the 80s, are showing just how high the quality of the people in the serious shooting community, really is. Solid gold.

Just need to find her a weapon she's comfortable with and likes. Range time and competent instruction is handled. I used to have a Colt Mustang 380, years back. Wish I still had it. I think she would have liked the thing. Kick myself for selling it. Can't afford the tag on a new one. The only guns I regret selling are the ones I sold. Lol. A double action is a far better choice for her anyway. Cocked and locked carry would probably make her uncomfortable. I don't even carry cocked and locked that often and the 1911 is an old friend to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,773 posts, read 3,677,539 times
Reputation: 4236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Wow... just wow... you have some interesting (and absolutely wrong) opinions about things. I'll ignore the quite insulting characterization of all females and let them defend themselves. Because most aren't as indecisive as you characterize and can defend themselves.

But your opinions of "bear spray" OC spray vs "self defense" OC spray can get someone killed. I'm not talking about the $4.99 keychain canister in the checkout aisle of the hardware store, I'm talking about good, quality, defense spray.
  • Bear spray does usually come in higher-volume canisters (to be worn on your hip or strapped to a pack) and usually sprays a concentrated stream over 25-ft. But you can get the exact same benefits in some human defense sprays. Better-quality human sprays that fit in your pocket can reach out over significant distances.
  • Bear sprays are limited by law to a max concentration of 2% OC, while human self-defense spray can be as high as 15% (depends on state, some are limited to 10%). Weaker bear spray is effective against the highly sensitive sinuses of a bear, but would only serve as a severe irritant to a human assailant; good, quality self-defense sprays can bring about full incapacitation.
  • Bear sprays are usually only OC and propellant, while good human sprays also contain visible- or UV-light marking dyes for positive identification later.
I hate it when I get sanctimonious and later find out I was wrong... or at least, not as right as I thought. Not about the insulting characterization of all women as unable to protect themselves; that's still a stupid position.

I was partially wrong about the pepper spray. I mixed up the EPA's maximum allowance of 2% CRC content (Capsaicin and Related Capsaicinoids, or the really hot stuff) a.k.a. MCC (Major Capsaicinoids) for bear sprays with advertising hype from personal defense spray manufacturers claiming up to 15% OC content (Oleoresin Capaicin, or the resin containing peppers in highly variable concentrations). Comparing apples-to-apples, cheap human sprays start as low as 0.2% CRC/MCC with higher-quality stuff going up to 2%. LEO sprays are up at the 2% end, just like high-grade consumer sprays and bear sprays.

So high-quality human sprays are just as hot as bear sprays, with the add that they usually contain marking dyes and some even contain Mace along with the pepper. Stick with a human spray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top