U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,679,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Just need to find her a weapon she's comfortable with and likes. Range time and competent instruction is handled. I used to have a Colt Mustang 380, years back. Wish I still had it. I think she would have liked the thing. Kick myself for selling it. Can't afford the tag on a new one. The only guns I regret selling are the ones I sold. Lol. A double action is a far better choice for her anyway. Cocked and locked carry would probably make her uncomfortable. I don't even carry cocked and locked that often and the 1911 is an old friend to me.
Since you are looking at semi-auto .380's now and I understand she will get plenty of good training and practice, I recommend at least trying out a Walther PK380. It's larger than most mouse guns, but still quite compact. It fits my wife's hands like a service pistol fits mine. The locked-breech action allows for a much weaker recoil spring so racking the slide is a breeze. It is a DA/Sa with a hammer and safety if those features are a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,909,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Since you are looking at semi-auto .380's now and I understand she will get plenty of good training and practice, I recommend at least trying out a Walther PK380. It's larger than most mouse guns, but still quite compact. It fits my wife's hands like a service pistol fits mine. The locked-breech action allows for a much weaker recoil spring so racking the slide is a breeze. It is a DA/Sa with a hammer and safety if those features are a factor.
Oh yea.. can't go wrong with a Walther. Good enough for 007 right? Lol. I would rather have the exposed hammer and safety, but this won't be my gun, so , let the shopping begin. My range pals have all volunteered different stuff for her to tth out as well, so that helps loads. She can actually shoot it. Not just handle it. That's really nice. Ease of slide operation , with her hand issues, is important. As is a good trigger, or one that can be smoothed up needs be, and fitting her small hands.

She's got a good support team. That helps.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:42 AM

8,869 posts, read 4,832,699 times
Quote:
Oh yea.. can't go wrong with a Walther. Good enough for 007 right? Lol.
I'm taking that such was said in jest?

Have whatever reasons you have for a particular gun.......just make sure none of those reasons are Hollywood. Recall reading a court case where they crucified the shooter for using a .44 Magnum because "that's the gun Dirty Harry uses".

As things go, of the various types I use, it may be because of extensive evaluation or opportunity (showed up on market, it's in the armory inventory so get familiar with it, etc) or recommendation or used such in the military or something, but I don't think of them were a movie reason. The closest to a movie reason are the Uzi and the Cobray MAC-11, both SA (talking generally here so people have a picture of what I am talking about).

But in the case of the Uzi, it was more to be familiar with a common worldwide firearm and to have a rifle that uses a common pistol caliber. In estimation if society ever goes down the tubes, the two most available calibers out there will be 9mm and .22. In the case of the MAC, it was more historical. Both, but the Uzi more, have their uses as a standby weapon such as a truck gun...........but they are brutes to shoot.

As far as "She can actually shoot it. Not just handle it.", let me just toss in something that comes up when I evaluate a pistol. I tend to shoot it over many different modes. Two handed right, one handed right, two handed left, one handed left, reloading magazines, shooting cocked, shooting decocked, shooting with heavy winter gloves on, perhaps more. Perhaps, though, she doesn't have to shoot like that, doesn't have to consider shooting like that....but just saying.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-26-2015 at 12:51 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 11:06 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,909,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'm taking that such was said in jest?

Have whatever reasons you have for a particular gun.......just make sure none of those reasons are Hollywood. Recall reading a court case where they crucified the shooter for using a .44 Magnum because "that's the gun Dirty Harry uses".

As things go, of the various types I use, it may be because of extensive evaluation or opportunity (showed up on market, it's in the armory inventory so get familiar with it, etc) or recommendation or used such in the military or something, but I don't think of them were a movie reason. The closest to a movie reason are the Uzi and the Cobray MAC-11, both SA (talking generally here so people have a picture of what I am talking about).

But in the case of the Uzi, it was more to be familiar with a common worldwide firearm and to have a rifle that uses a common pistol caliber. In estimation if society ever goes down the tubes, the two most available calibers out there will be 9mm and .22. In the case of the MAC, it was more historical. Both, but the Uzi more, have their uses as a standby weapon such as a truck gun...........but they are brutes to shoot.

As far as "She can actually shoot it. Not just handle it.", let me just toss in something that comes up when I evaluate a pistol. I tend to shoot it over many different modes. Two handed right, one handed right, two handed left, one handed left, reloading magazines, shooting cocked, shooting decocked, shooting with heavy winter gloves on, perhaps more. Perhaps, though, she doesn't have to shoot like that, doesn't have to consider shooting like that....but just saying.
Complete and total jest. Thus the "lol". I'm under no Hollywood illusions. I've been living in the , very, real world with firearms and other weapons for a long long time. Weapons training has been a part of my life for most of my life. I recall they "Dirty Harry " case as well. I've also seen first hand cases where use of certain ammunition , and firearms, was used as a premise to charge intent to murder, in clear cut SD cases. Its not unusual to see.

Remember that "Black Talon" frakas? Same premise. Especially in places like CA, its not a big jump for a prosecuted to vet a jury to buy off on a stiff sentence for a citizen who used "defensive" ammo to take down a goblin with evil intent. They just argue that using the stuff shows a desire, and intent, to use lethal force when it wasn't needed. They also make it stick. It doesn't have to make sense. Most times it doesn't.

Its not that hard to make someone who shoots a criminal out to be a murderous nut. Especially if that person has a houseful of "tactical" gear, and Hollywood style "combat" stuff. Maybe the person owns a t shirt with some ..colorful..saying, like the ubiquitous "kill em' all..let God sort them out" bit. It becomes less amusing and more of a proof of character in certain cases. There need be no concern about me, as to whether I understand the difference twixt a movie, and the real deal. Like you, I've been doing this for a long time. Myady being attacked had a huge impact on my outlook on things, as well. We went through things, recovering from that, which were ...sobering, . For my part, k ended jp looking back on a lot, and in the mirror as well, and more into deeper pools.

There are no colorfully captions, special forces t shirts in my drawers. Self defense is not some silly game, to me..to us. I'm , completely, in the same page with what your saying about the Hollywood set. They are their own worst enemies. They say that every fools gets to be young , once. My once, in that regard, is long over.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Complete and total jest. Thus the "lol". I'm under no Hollywood illusions. I've been living in the , very, real world with firearms and other weapons for a long long time. Weapons training has been a part of my life for most of my life. I recall they "Dirty Harry " case as well. I've also seen first hand cases where use of certain ammunition , and firearms, was used as a premise to charge intent to murder, in clear cut SD cases. Its not unusual to see.

Remember that "Black Talon" frakas? Same premise. Especially in places like CA, its not a big jump for a prosecuted to vet a jury to buy off on a stiff sentence for a citizen who used "defensive" ammo to take down a goblin with evil intent. They just argue that using the stuff shows a desire, and intent, to use lethal force when it wasn't needed. They also make it stick. It doesn't have to make sense. Most times it doesn't.

Its not that hard to make someone who shoots a criminal out to be a murderous nut. Especially if that person has a houseful of "tactical" gear, and Hollywood style "combat" stuff. Maybe the person owns a t shirt with some ..colorful..saying, like the ubiquitous "kill em' all..let God sort them out" bit. It becomes less amusing and more of a proof of character in certain cases. There need be no concern about me, as to whether I understand the difference twixt a movie, and the real deal. Like you, I've been doing this for a long time. Myady being attacked had a huge impact on my outlook on things, as well. We went through things, recovering from that, which were ...sobering, . For my part, k ended jp looking back on a lot, and in the mirror as well, and more into deeper pools.

There are no colorfully captions, special forces t shirts in my drawers. Self defense is not some silly game, to me..to us. I'm , completely, in the same page with what your saying about the Hollywood set. They are their own worst enemies. They say that every fools gets to be young , once. My once, in that regard, is long over.
Hmmmmm, one could positively have nightmares of how a counsel might make the interpretation of what they are.

Such as, say, if I took someone on or even out in hand to hand or unarmed combat. Now, I don't see myself as a "these hands are registered deadly weapons" but with my background, a counsel could portray me in that light, from many years in judo, to being a state champion, to even had trained anti-terrorism police troops. The first two are fairly accurate statements but the last one was a situation where I needed to bring such troops up to speed in hand to hand and with my background, I was told to get the job done because an official instructor wasn't available. And it's official because it was reported in my fitrep, all those years ago.

Of course, supposedly they do, create a different interpretation, that many a time with rape victims.

As to "what" I am now....well, one of my tees does say, "Public Safety Divers are looking for a few dead men.". Now, that is in reference to what PSD's do, recover bodies, but who knows how it may be portrayed. Or how about the books in my library about homicide and death investigation? Or the tactics and investigative procedures I have come up with which often involves utilizing a very politically incorrect knowledge of psychology. The thing is, such is what I am, such is what I do.

Getting more back to the subject, we have people who believe that hollow points are maiming bullets or even armor piercing.

Quote:
The "lol" immediately after the comment indicates that yes, it was said in jest. Also, other than the fact that both are chambered in .380ACP and utilize an exposed hammer, there is no similarity between the Walther PPK (of James Bond fame) ........
I suppose it is because I watch "Tomorrow Never Dies" so often, but these days when people say Bond and Walther, I think of the larger one he picked up in that movie than the PPK.

........or maybe it is just because I've become use to using pistols of similar structure in this century.

Quote:
Have you read the description of the training advantages this newly emerging bobcat has access to? *I* envy her. She's gonna get to shoot every gun under the sun in every condition imaginable. I only recommended checking out the Walther because that top-tier brand is often overlooked on this side of the pond where SA/S&W/Glock and sometimes Sig handguns tend to dominate.
Good for her!........I suppose. As we alluded to above about how proficiency might be used against one. I recall talking to a salesman at a gun show about his concealable holster. When I pointed out that the holster had no space for a spare magazine, he commented that as a civilian, if you need a spare magazine, you're in the wrong gun fight.

QUITE FRANKLY, I don't want to be in any gun fight, but it does show a possible view that other parts of the population can hold about such things.

I know, I know, better judge by 12 than carried by 6, but on the other hand as my CHL instructor said, "If you find a way not to have to shoot him, you'd probably be better off."

Old 03-27-2015, 02:21 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,262,447 times
I'm a single female and I travel all over the western states and camp in parks and remote camp on BLM land, been doing it for 15 years WITHOUT a firearm, and never needed one either. Don't get me wrong, I carry some weapons, including an axe, only had to show the axe once to a 2 legged critter. I grew up with guns, still have a few, and I'm a deadly shot, I just see no need to carry one.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I'm a single female and I travel all over the western states and camp in parks and remote camp on BLM land, been doing it for 15 years WITHOUT a firearm, and never needed one either. Don't get me wrong, I carry some weapons, including an axe, only had to show the axe once to a 2 legged critter. I grew up with guns, still have a few, and I'm a deadly shot, I just see no need to carry one.
Well, to put it on another side of the coin, been doing it for many years, too, with a firearm, and never needed one.

But the line of thought that says "it has never happened before to me" won't change "the policy" of carrying.

But....to each their own.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:19 PM

7,833 posts, read 7,821,355 times
Correct. To each his/her own.

I've never needed to use fire insurance or my car's airbag either.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:59 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
My wife and I have been together for about 50 years. Some time ago we discussed getting a handgun for self defense. As she is a small woman I (being the in charge bossy idiot I can sometimes be) thought she would want a smaller semiautomatic pistol. So I suggested she try a pistol in .380 cal. She tried it and did not shoot very well and felt the recoil was too sharp for her. So I suggested she try a .22 pistol. She did very well but wound up asking me when the gun would grow up. So, out of frustration, I "let" her use my Cold 1911 in .45 ACP. I showed her how to hold the thing so the recoil could be absorbed without shoving her around. She fired the first shot into the 8 ring, looked at the big gun, and put the next 6 rounds into the 8 ring as well. Her comment was, "That is better. It does not hurt to shoot this thing." I looked at the target. Then looked at her and said something like "nice shooting" with a somewhat astonished tone. I figure the heavier 1911 simply recoiled less sharply and did not startle her.

So, NV, you have the right idea. The lady is quite capable of picking out the correct gun for her. Good luck and best wished to both of you.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 AM

56 posts, read 23,636 times
Thats a good idea. Every woman should keep one handgun with her. It is very important for security purpose. Sometimes some bad incidents happen with that guns, but this is not a matter to not keep it with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or