U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2015, 09:52 PM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,886 posts, read 12,576,540 times
Reputation: 5210

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Glock is one of the few manufacturers that will officially recommend +P+ ammunition be used in their 9mm handguns, unless they have changed this stance.



says right in my handbook for the Glock 17 and Glock 19, that using hot loaded ammo such as +p and +p+ will void the guarantee. also says to use jacketed ammo as well, do not use lead onlt ammo.

it does clog up the rifling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2015, 11:26 PM
 
5,253 posts, read 2,401,232 times
Reputation: 5124
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
very true, although Glock does not recommend hot loading your ammo, I do hot load all of my 9mm. I have never had a squib nor anything bad happen to me since I started hot loading 9mm.
Does Glock recommend reloading ammo to normal levels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 08:11 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,749 posts, read 2,626,675 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
says right in my handbook for the Glock 17 and Glock 19, that using hot loaded ammo such as +p and +p+ will void the guarantee. also says to use jacketed ammo as well, do not use lead onlt ammo.

it does clog up the rifling.
Quote:
Can I use +P and +P+ ammunition?
Glock suggests using ammunition that is manufactured and meets SAAMI or industry specifications. If you are not sure the ammunition brand or type you choose is safe for use, call the ammunition manufacturer and ask if the product meets SAAMI guidelines before using it in you firearm. Some +P ammunition meets these guidelines, +P+ normally does not. This ammunition may generate a higher pressure over the standard loadings, and may shorten the component life of your firearm.
FAQ | GLOCK USA

Glock has had NO ISSUE from what I understand, with departments issuing Ranger 127gr +P+, or 9BPLE. Both extremely popular +P+ loadings in the LE community from years gone by.

That said, Glock's 9mm guns will handle +P+ just fine, I doubt you could afford enough of it to wear one out, and if you can, you don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2015, 10:44 AM
 
4,774 posts, read 8,413,289 times
Reputation: 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
FAQ | GLOCK USA

Glock has had NO ISSUE from what I understand, with departments issuing Ranger 127gr +P+, or 9BPLE. Both extremely popular +P+ loadings in the LE community from years gone by.

That said, Glock's 9mm guns will handle +P+ just fine, I doubt you could afford enough of it to wear one out, and if you can, you don't care.
I am not a Glock guy but from what I know. The Ranger 127 gr +p+ and the Federal 124 gr +p are popular and being used with no known issues.

But you should know that SAAMI does not regulate chamber pressures in a +p+ or a +p so use it at your own risk. Also with these come with a higher chamber pressure, higher recoil, slower follow-up shots, and a higher wear & tear on your barrel. Personally, if I want to go up the pressure I might as well go with .357Sig or the .40S&W.

Glock also has a weak supported chamber, this has led to a known issue called the "Ka Boom!!", e.g., ammo blows up inside the barrel that cracks the frame, the slide, and injures the shooter. This is a know problem in 40 S&W and 45ACP, and I have not heard that it occurs in 9mm. But as you go for the +p+, you need to do your research on whether a particular brand of +p+ is safe to use in a Glock.

Google "Ka Boom in a Glock" for details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:27 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,749 posts, read 2,626,675 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I am not a Glock guy but from what I know. The Ranger 127 gr +p+ and the Federal 124 gr +p are popular and being used with no known issues.

But you should know that SAAMI does not regulate chamber pressures in a +p+ or a +p so use it at your own risk. Also with these come with a higher chamber pressure, higher recoil, slower follow-up shots, and a higher wear & tear on your barrel. Personally, if I want to go up the pressure I might as well go with .357Sig or the .40S&W.
I agree. That said, a lot of those loads relied on velocity to open what are now considered "sub-par" projectile designs (look at when they came out...now...how many NEW +P+ loads are there?). Now days, with advanced projectiles, +p or regular ammo is fine.

Glock also has a weak supported chamber, this has led to a known issue called the "Ka Boom!!", e.g., ammo blows up inside the barrel that cracks the frame, the slide, and injures the shooter. This is a know problem in 40 S&W and 45ACP, and I have not heard that it occurs in 9mm. But as you go for the +p+, you need to do your research on whether a particular brand of +p+ is safe to use in a Glock.
It's not an issue in 9mm. I would not own a non-9mm glock, as previously stated elsewhere by me. M&P is a much better platform for the .40 and .45. But I don't shoot .40 or .45. So meh. YMMV.

Google "Ka Boom in a Glock" for details.
Glock .40's have tons of issues, not all of which relate to KB's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top