U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2015, 02:35 PM
 
5,230 posts, read 2,384,691 times
Reputation: 5119

Advertisements

Check out IDPA and USPSA competition, and see how many people are using DA/SA autos. Very, very few are used. There are reasons for this. The biggest reason is that they are difficult to shoot well. You will be much better served with a SA, or a version of "safe action" (Glock, M&P, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2015, 02:39 PM
 
4,761 posts, read 8,390,219 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Along with the rest of the military and police world, when given a choice, I chose a striker type fired pistol.
The military & police did not have a *choice*. They were issued a weapon.

Last time I've heard the military uses a M9 which is a beretta 92 with DA/SA.

*You* have a choice, nothing wrong with a Block... umm... A Glock . But know your choice and choose wisely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 07:44 PM
 
3,217 posts, read 1,633,466 times
Reputation: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Check out IDPA and USPSA competition, and see how many people are using DA/SA autos. Very, very few are used. There are reasons for this. The biggest reason is that they are difficult to shoot well. You will be much better served with a SA, or a version of "safe action" (Glock, M&P, etc.).
IDPA ESP class does not require a hammer down start so every shot is SA, and CZs are becoming very popular.
When I compete in SSP IDPA or production USPSA, I have an advantage because only my first shot is DA and the rest are SA, and everyone else I compete against is DA only for all shots.

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 04-21-2015 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 08:50 PM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,749 posts, read 2,616,745 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
The military & police did not have a *choice*. They were issued a weapon.

Last time I've heard the military uses a M9 which is a beretta 92 with DA/SA.

*You* have a choice, nothing wrong with a Block... umm... A Glock . But know your choice and choose wisely
Many police departments choose weapons based on both cost, and performance. However, officers in some have the option to choose from a list of approved firearms.

Many parts of our military also have the choice. For example, the MEUSOC 1911 (M45A1) grew so distasteful, that the G19 has become an issuable item in its place, per preference. The FBI HRT has gone away from the 1911 and toward the Glock, as well.

That said, my M&P's are much more ergonomic than Glocks, and that is why I shoot them. Glocks ergonomics are a non-important thing, though, considering that they are what you make them. Send it to ZEV or someone and get it profiled the way you like.

Also, the HK VP9...THAT is an ergonomic pistol. I traded my G19 to a SWAT officer or I would have sold it and bought a VP9. However, that officer traded my a M&P 9 with Trijicon HD sights and a professional stipple job and it has the smoothest trigger I've felt on an M&P, so it was a solid trade for my near stock G19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:30 PM
 
5,230 posts, read 2,384,691 times
Reputation: 5119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
IDPA ESP class does not require a hammer down start so every shot is SA, and CZs are becoming very popular.
The CZ's are rather unique (in a good way). Normal discussion about DA/SA doesn't really apply to them in the same way it would apply to say, a Beretta 92.

Quote:
When I compete in SSP IDPA or production USPSA, I have an advantage because only my first shot is DA and the rest are SA, and everyone else I compete against is DA only for all shots.
If your IDPA and USPSA clubs are like the rest of the country, most of those competitors are using a version of "safe action." Not the same as DA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 AM
 
3,217 posts, read 1,633,466 times
Reputation: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The CZ's are rather unique (in a good way). Normal discussion about DA/SA doesn't really apply to them in the same way it would apply to say, a Beretta 92.



If your IDPA and USPSA clubs are like the rest of the country, most of those competitors are using a version of "safe action." Not the same as DA.
That"s true. I used to compete with a G34 for a long time. Even with the trigger work I had done on it, it was no where near as sweet as the trigger on my CZ.
Glock and S&W M&P's are the most popular shooting sports guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Sector 001
7,154 posts, read 5,958,670 times
Reputation: 8075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
I just wanted to pipe in and offer an unsolicited opinion...............My spouse and I are firearm enthusiasts. We have expensive Italian bullseye pistols, schutzens, Baer 1911's, etc. We fire over 5,000 rounds a year.

Our bedroom HD piece is a 20 gauge Remington 870. IIRC we bought it for $275.00 with a mail-in rebate. I agree with your analysis, I don't think the 20 ga. gets the credit it deserves for home defense purposes.
I have one of those as well. Winchester Defender.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...=12&mid=512106
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top