Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:01 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times

Advertisements

I realize this isn't about guns or hunting, but I got great answers to my last question here, and I figured that folks who are vigilant about home defense and self-defense may know something about this too.

I'm looking to install a hidden camera outside, on the edge of our front yard--meaning it will have to be mounted in a tree near the street or on the telephone pole. So it has to be 1. wireless, 2. water resistant, and 3. small and inconspicuous, so that no one steals or tampers with it.

My goal is to detect and record vandalism to our cars, which are parked on the street. (Our driveway is small, and we have no garage. Garages are rare in our neighborhood.)

Anyone have a specific brand/model they can recommend?

(I see that there's one that looks like a rock--but it costs $550, and I can't find any online reviews of it.)

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:22 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Trail camera would do what you want. Trail Cameras | Game Cameras | Deer Cameras : Cabela's

Old 04-22-2015, 08:46 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Trail camera is a good idea, but with the exception of expensive "black flash" models, the IR LEDs on most trial cameras put out some light in the visible spectrum, so most models won't be 100% stealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
My goal is to detect and record vandalism to our cars, which are parked on the street. (Our driveway is small, and we have no garage. Garages are rare in our neighborhood.)
Can you install a motion-sensor light aimed towards the street, so it will turn on if somebody approaches your cars? There are even models with cameras built in.

Alternately, if you have a clear line of sight to the street from the house, you can purchase a higher-end surveillance camera with a telephoto lens, install it on the house where it's less likely to be vandalized.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:03 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

Indeed, the trail cameras look promising, but I should've specified that I need a video camera, in order to capture people's actions with 100% certainty. And I need it to be pretty much undetectable by a human from 10 feet away. (I.e., you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it, or if you saw it, you might think it was something else.)

I'm partly worried about vandals, but we also have a problem with dog walkers not picking up and with some neighbors' kids coming very close to our cars with their scooters. (If one of our cars is damaged, I have no doubt the parents would deny that their special snowflake could ever do such a thing. So I have to get video evidence.)

The problem with putting it on our house is that the cars will be between the house and whoever would be damaging them from the street side, and thus would be blocking the view of the camera.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 04-23-2015 at 05:40 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 05:58 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
The problem with putting it on our house is that the cars will be between the house and whoever would be damaging them from the street side, and thus would be blocking the view of the camera.
Do you have a neighbor across the street you are on good terms with? If so, maybe talk about a dual-camera option. Mount one camera on your house and one on his house. That way both sides of both your vehicles would be covered.

Also, not to dis the members who hang out here, but another place you may check is the Self Sufficiency and Preparedness sub-forum.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Do you have a neighbor across the street you are on good terms with? If so, maybe talk about a dual-camera option. Mount one camera on your house and one on his house. That way both sides of both your vehicles would be covered.

Also, not to dis the members who hang out here, but another place you may check is the Self Sufficiency and Preparedness sub-forum.
Not a bad idea, thanks! Didn't know about that other forum.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:57 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
For what its worth. I have wiiress motion sensors out doors. No get a chime, like a doorbell when something moves within the detection range. The chime in the house is about 150 ft drone the .option sense and the sensor chimes when she metbing moves within 60;70 ft of it. Then I can handle it.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:31 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
One of the problems is I think he's talking about activity on the public street or sidewalk in front of his house. I'm picturing that his cars are parked on a short driveway where one end is right at the sidewalk. Anyone walking by can just reach over and touch his cars. Or couple of kids riding scooters down the sidewalk could swerve, crash into them, and cause damage.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:44 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
We had the same problems. We got the swann system. I put one of the wireless ones in my truck. The others I put IN PLAIN SIGHT where they could not reach them unless they stood on my roof. Overnight the car problems stopped.

We had someone try and steal my truck but they apparently gave up after not being able to get the club off the brake.That's why I wanted the camera system. The irresponsible dog walkers I confronted with their deeds on my phone. They told me to mind my own business so I did. I started storing their dog !@#$ in a bucket then tossed it onto their door step. It still happened so I crammed it under her car door handle.

Message received. No more problem. Childish on my part? Yep. Effective? Roger that.

And yes, I do realize they could have had me busted too but that's how I roll.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
One of the problems is I think he's talking about activity on the public street or sidewalk in front of his house. I'm picturing that his cars are parked on a short driveway where one end is right at the sidewalk. Anyone walking by can just reach over and touch his cars. Or couple of kids riding scooters down the sidewalk could swerve, crash into them, and cause damage.
Bingo. The kids are in the street (not the sidewalk). The parents are really stupid; it's a pretty busy street, and one of these days a kid is gonna get run over. Some of these kids are 4 or 5 years old, and they're just kind of buzzing around in circles. Making it even crazier, the house they live in has a pretty long driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting