Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:22 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,837 times

Advertisements

In the news today (broadcast). After 2 magazines fired, it becomes inaccurate and after 3 magazines fired, accuracy is reduced by 30%. The problem is so serious that it will be replaced by the German military. Noise about a coverup to benefit HK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,837 times
G36 rifle 'has no future' in German army - Germany's news in English

It has no future in the German army.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:41 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Interesting tidbit. HK has always had a great reputation. I owned a 91 and a 93, back in the 80s. The only thing I disliked was that they ruined brass. I mean flat RUINED every case. They put the rounds where aimed, shot great, but I couldn't abide the destroyed cases. For strictly military use, that doesn't matter, but for a hand loader its sacrilegious.

With this rifle at issue here, I'm quite surprised the Germans tolerated such issues for so long. Being the precision fanatics they are, plus, such issues get soldiers killed. The complaints from the battlefield would have been loud, I would think. Somebody will get BBQd for this. Deservedly so, as long as its the RIGHT person. Therein is the issue. Poop rolling downhill, as it does.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:51 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Interesting tidbit. HK has always had a great reputation. I owned a 91 and a 93, back in the 80s. The only thing I disliked was that they ruined brass. I mean flat RUINED every case. They put the rounds where aimed, shot great, but I couldn't abide the destroyed cases. For strictly military use, that doesn't matter, but for a hand loader its sacrilegious.

With this rifle at issue here, I'm quite surprised the Germans tolerated such issues for so long. Being the precision fanatics they are, plus, such issues get soldiers killed. The complaints from the battlefield would have been loud, I would think. Somebody will get BBQd for this. Deservedly so, as long as its the RIGHT person. Therein is the issue. Poop rolling downhill, as it does.

I have a PTR91, which is based after the HK91. I had the gunsmith I go to remove the cartridge deflector on the right side of the rifle. now the empties just go flying out about 8 feet to my right with no damage to them.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I have a PTR91, which is based after the HK91. I had the gunsmith I go to remove the cartridge deflector on the right side of the rifle. now the empties just go flying out about 8 feet to my right with no damage to them.
Yes...the issue with my 91 was folding cases on the deflector, the 93 scored the cases because of the fluted chamber. Different issues between the two.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:18 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
Very old news. They finally dumped it, though?

Old 04-23-2015, 09:19 AM

990 posts, read 2,557,256 times
Quote:
Yes...the issue with my 91 was folding cases on the deflector, the 93 scored the cases because of the fluted chamber. Different issues between the two.

Wait...wait...wait.

You guys actually pick up your brass...

Why?

In all seriousness, one of the things that I have always admired about HK rifles was their POSITIVE ejection.

Once a round is spent..

I want it out, and fast!

I could care less about it's condition as long as it firmly clears the rifle.

For over 30 years, I had to "police up" brass...I now have the luxury of allowing it to sit where it falls.

I suppose, you could pick it up and sell the brass for scrap value.

But why go through the effort for such a small reward.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:

I have a factory accessory "bumper" that minimizes brass damage. Not sure they are still available.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Wait...wait...wait.

You guys actually pick up your brass...

Why?

In all seriousness, one of the things that I have always admired about HK rifles was their POSITIVE ejection.

Once a round is spent..

I want it out, and fast!

I could care less about it's condition as long as it firmly clears the rifle.

For over 30 years, I had to "police up" brass...I now have the luxury of allowing it to sit where it falls.

I suppose, you could pick it up and sell the brass for scrap value.

But why go through the effort for such a small reward.
When one hand loads, brass is gold. Especially rifle stuff. When I was competing, heavy, I couldn't have afforded NOT to reload.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:03 PM

50,283 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Wow, that's been around for a while to suddenly dump it.

My SAR8 just keeps chugging along, very happy with it. I've got many HK variants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting