U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:36 PM

769 posts, read 894,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I think much of the advice you have received thus far is spot on. I would add that you should always get a gun safe a little larger than you think you need. If you wind up adding guns or other valuables, it is nice to have the extra space and not to have things crammed or disorganized.

I think I all ready said to get a larger safe than they think they need.
I went thru all this and ended up buying a safe from Costco, one reason was they delivered it to the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:47 AM

5,957 posts, read 8,541,884 times
Almost any safe dealer will deliver......I've got two - both the largest that I could get into the room in the house. They're 1800 lbs each - so, yeah - NOT something I wanted to try to do myself.

ALWAYS buy the largest, fire-rated safe you can afford.....and be VERY leery of the fire ratings. FWIW, I found most of the ones claiming fire ratings to be laughable - 30 minutes @ 1200 degrees, etc. We live less than 1/4 mile from a fire station - and my biggest concern is a fire loss, so I opted for the Ft Knox line. Others have similar fire ratings - but their exterior finishes weren't up to the better half's liking.

Currently looking at a third safe - and Pendleton is high on the list. It's also expensive as the blazes - but I could have stored 90% of the guns in my two safes in that single unit, thanks to it's internal configuration.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:54 PM

not all safe dealers deliver, Cabellas for one does not, I was looking at a safe there and because they did not deliver removed them from consideration.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 PM

379 posts, read 254,810 times
Also re: delivery you have to consider that some places will only drop it off at the curb or maybe into a garage. If you want it in the house you're either going to have to bribe a bunch of your friends to help you or hire someone else to do the final install. Or just buy from a place that will deliver it all the way inside your house. If they'll take it in the house you can probably also get them to bolt it down for you for a nominal fee.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:35 AM

5,957 posts, read 8,541,884 times
If it's under 1,000 lbs.........golf balls. Moved many of my early safes with 'em. Like it's on ball bearings.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:34 AM

I used a moving blanket on the tile and furniture sliders over the carpet.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:23 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,794,012 times
I bought a Cannon gun safe at Tractor Supply. It has a 30 minute fire rating which is fine for me because my home has a sprinkler system. So I figure that, in the event of fire, there is enough protection until the fire dept. get there.

I got a couple of guys I know who have a pickup to help me get it to my house and in position. I gave them $100 cash in hand for their help which took maybe an hour altogether.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:00 PM

6,911 posts, read 3,767,460 times
I work in the ballistics industry. I second the suggestion of Liberty safes.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 PM

3,181 posts, read 2,775,911 times
Thumbs up Look for LaGard(aka Kaba Mas), Amsec, or S&G locks

First, read this: http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...-buyers-guide/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
I've looked into The GunBox and while it has a lot of appeal I'm concerned over the reviews I've read about it being very hard to get into with the fingerprint option. Pin pad safes also have appeal but then I worry about forgetting the code, etc.
I am not a big fan of fingerprint readers, in my experience they are much less reliable than a sequence of button presses.

If you get an inexpensive safe, watch out for models with a backup key bypass (not a key-locked dial, but a key that can open the safe if you don't know the combo), often this key lock is the weakest protection on the safe and is easily picked/bumped/forced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I went with a mechanical dial, digitals are a bit of concern as depending who you ask they can fail more often. Latter is more convenient, though. You get used to the dial.
Digital locks in the higher end products are reliable (especially Amsec and LaGard), but have different failure modes than traditional mechanical dial locks. A big advantage of electronic locks is that you can change the combination at any time, no locksmith required.

Cannon Safe sells several models with an "EMP dual-access Lock", this is a digital combination lock with backup dial. Counter-intuitively, this makes the safe less secure than a digital-only lock.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:39 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,794,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

If you get an inexpensive safe, watch out for models with a backup key bypass (not a key-locked dial, but a key that can open the safe if you don't know the combo), often this key lock is the weakest protection on the safe and is easily picked/bumped/forced.
I have one of these (a lockbox with touchkeys and a manual key backup) in my nightstand in addition to my main gun safe which is downstairs. The objective is that my handgun is not just 'laying around' when not in my main safe. I agree that it could be forced but, generally, the handgun goes in the main safe when I am not at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting