U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 04:32 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,613,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Best home defense weapon??

Live in a good area, lock your doors and stop making guns available to children in the home. Too many kids accidentally die because of people living in fear, justifying the need for guns in the home for self defence IMO.
Educating children is better than living in fear of them finding a firearm. Also, most people who own firearms for self defense don't live in fear any more than people who drive with seat belts on drive in fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:17 AM

156 posts, read 113,643 times
The best HDW is the one you have when someone breaks in. Personally I prefer a 16inch pistol grip shotgun. Loaded with 00buck

Old 07-05-2015, 05:02 PM

7,831 posts, read 7,818,887 times
I took the pistol grip off my 8 shot 12 Ga. Winchester Defender loaded with 00 Buck and put the full wood stock back on.

Gettin' too old to play The Terminator.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:04 PM

7,831 posts, read 7,818,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Educating children is better than living in fear of them finding a firearm. Also, most people who own firearms for self defense don't live in fear any more than people who drive with seat belts on drive in fear.
Truth.

Besides, lots fewer innocent children are being killed in negligent gun accidents because of better education. The media won't tell you that.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:12 PM

10,947 posts, read 14,593,711 times
My kids are well aware of firearm safety and use. One less thing I need to worry about.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:32 PM

22 posts, read 11,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigger4u View Post
The best HDW is the one you have when someone breaks in. Personally I prefer a 16inch pistol grip shotgun. Loaded with 00buck
It's got to be at least 18" or it's a Class III SBS or AOW!

Old 07-07-2015, 04:03 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,678,723 times
Quote:
But why? Why would you load it like that?

Do you feel that you are delivering increasingly effective loads the further into the mag you go? Why would you do that? It's almost an admission of not feeling the most urgent need to stop someone, implying you would build up to actually stopping them vs. Trying as hard as you can asap. See what I mean? Why not just get. It. Done?
Risk vs. reward. I don't know about you, but I sometimes have kids in the house who may or may not be where they are supposed to be. In the vast majority of citizen-self-defense cases the perp starts running after the first shot. In that case, a lower-penetration round is ideal. It gets the perp on the run with a lowered (still not zero, but lowered) chance of stray pellets penetrating multiple walls. Personally I use #4 buck as the first shell in my 20-ga, but that's only because I can't find lead BB. Lots of LEOs used to use #4; they switched because it didn't have enough penetration at longer ranges, but I'm not shooting at longer ranges.

If I have to shoot more than once then it's the rare case where either there are more than one bad guys, and/or they are determined to do some harm, so the next four shots are #1 buckshot.

That said, I cannot think of a valid reason to load a slug round for residential defense; especially not stacked with buckshot.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 07-07-2015 at 04:13 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 06:15 PM

13,389 posts, read 42,724,996 times
Quote:
But why? Why would you load it like that?

Do you feel that you are delivering increasingly effective loads the further into the mag you go? Why would you do that? It's almost an admission of not feeling the most urgent need to stop someone, implying you would build up to actually stopping them vs. Trying as hard as you can asap. See what I mean? Why not just get. It. Done?

The second issue is let's say you fire at multiple targets a few times. Its hard to remember if you fired 5 OT 6 shots sometimes. Read or watch a few ois interviews. Officers empty mags and think they only fired a couple of times. Or have no concept of it. So...let's say you've fired a few times and now must make a precise shot due to the location or proximity of the perp to a loved one...is that slug up...or more buck? Did you count 5 or 6? Or are you on 00 or what? What pattern will be thrown? You sure?

Ymmv, but I'm not a fan of tactical dice rolling when I pull th3 trigger. I want to know what's coming out of the barrel.
Well, Threerun will have to give you the definitive answer, but I could imagine one might want to start with #4 Buck assuming the first shot will be taken relatively close, then shift to a bigger buckshot, then slugs, assuming each will be used at an increasingly long range. Of course this assumes a single perp, and begs the question if he's running, why are you still shooting, but, I can see a logic for doing this.

I can understand this train of thought, I don't really agree with it though. Like "Dutch" loading a revolver with a shot round up first, then the rest ball rounds (or even more complicated sequences) - I agree with you JWG - apply the KISS principle, in an actual shootout even experienced professionals can and do get confused, as you discussed.

The argument for #4 Buck being the best anti-personnel 12-GA shotgun round is discussed in "Survival" and "Survival Guns" by Mel Tappan. Of course the tactical state of the art like perps wearing body armor has changed some since this was published.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:42 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Best home defense weapon??

Live in a good area, lock your doors and stop making guns available to children in the home. Too many kids accidentally die because of people living in fear, justifying the need for guns in the home for self defence IMO.
This topic is about what to do after all of your opinion has already failed. My kids know how to use EVERY weapon in the house and if even alone for a while I am confident they would know what to do.

Don't be afraid of a piece of steel, an inanimate object. Know it well enough that you aren't afraid to touch one.

And if you think your house can't be broken into, you could be dead wrong. I live in one of the nicest places on the Planet and my place was ransacked in the middle of the day. The only difference would be if I was at home when it happened. I came home less than one hour later.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:59 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,328,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Truth.

Besides, lots fewer innocent children are being killed in negligent gun accidents because of better education. The media won't tell you that.
How do you know then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting