U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:01 AM

2,748 posts, read 2,614,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Here in Oregon we have a couple of people in a LOT of trouble because they fired shots out their doors and windows at 'noises'... and killed people. Innocent people from the looks of it. Good use of a gun, and probably the best way to deploy lethal force. When the #$%# isn't expecting it. By the time he is inside choking you, it is really too late. I really don't get all the excitement about handguns... or rifles for that matter. I didn't check. How many of you have actually killed someone with your weapons? More to the point, how many of you have successfully defended yourself from a situation that took place while you were at the dinnertable? Asleep? Not many I know. The numbers are in, and the numbers do not lie. 2% of home invasions are thwarted by the homeowners weapon. That's all. 2%. Most people aren't sociopaths that wear shoulder holsters at the dinner table or to bed! In most states you cannot fire your weapon through the door at a "noise". It could be a Jehovahs Witness come to spread the Gospel. Stop with the rah rah .357 this and .44 Magnum that. You aren't all really that stupid.

Good locks and good dogs is very good home defense. If you need more, you need a better neighborhood more than you need a Winchester. Period. Elsewhere, good sense and situational awareness work much better than firearms. The guy in Florida did NOT use good sense in challenging THUGS because he had a gun. He had lead courage instead of brains. Now he sits in a jail cell. He will lose his woman, if he hasn't lost her already, he has lost his employment. Probably his home. Everything that matters.
Even rich people have problems. Even good neighborhoods get hit. I've had a few occasions where I had a weapon in my hand. Didn't have to use it thankfully. Sometimes trouble just finds you, and 2% feels like 100% when you've got 0%, I'm betting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:54 AM

7,903 posts, read 6,479,775 times
Quote:
Here in Oregon we have a couple of people in a LOT of trouble because they fired shots out their doors and windows at 'noises'... and killed people. Innocent people from the looks of it. Good use of a gun, and probably the best way to deploy lethal force. When the #$%# isn't expecting it. By the time he is inside choking you, it is really too late. I really don't get all the excitement about handguns... or rifles for that matter. I didn't check. How many of you have actually killed someone with your weapons? More to the point, how many of you have successfully defended yourself from a situation that took place while you were at the dinnertable? Asleep? Not many I know. The numbers are in, and the numbers do not lie. 2% of home invasions are thwarted by the homeowners weapon. That's all. 2%. Most people aren't sociopaths that wear shoulder holsters at the dinner table or to bed! In most states you cannot fire your weapon through the door at a "noise". It could be a Jehovahs Witness come to spread the Gospel. Stop with the rah rah .357 this and .44 Magnum that. You aren't all really that stupid.

Good locks and good dogs is very good home defense. If you need more, you need a better neighborhood more than you need a Winchester. Period. Elsewhere, good sense and situational awareness work much better than firearms. The guy in Florida did NOT use good sense in challenging THUGS because he had a gun. He had lead courage instead of brains. Now he sits in a jail cell. He will lose his woman, if he hasn't lost her already, he has lost his employment. Probably his home. Everything that matters.
Tell all this to that rich family from Washington, DC who were recently... Oh wait, you can't, because they were SLAUGHTERED in their own home! I believe I read somewhere that the father was a big Democrat donor too. Go figure.

Anyway, you worry about yours, I'll worry about mine. I don't want to be a part of the 2%, or even .0000000001% if that's what the libby polls say next. You guys are the fodder. Not me and mine.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:44 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,199,006 times
Some good points made.......

It's easy to kick a deadbolt 30 seconds. I have steel door now before I had one of those door jams.

The front door is a great starting place, harden it.

Home invasion occur sometimes..........weak front/back door ( back door mostly made of glass with no protection ), people feel obligated to open front door out of common courtesy, and leave garage door open. The obvious.......lock your freakin door! some don't even do that.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM

10,948 posts, read 14,598,176 times
Quote:

When I was a kid in the '70's back in the burbs of Maryland my dad thwarted an in-home robbery with the single shot shotgun he had by his bed. My mom heard the side door get pried open, my dad grabbed the shotgun and met the burglar in the living room. Dad flipped on the lights, the guy was wearing a mask and fled a*shole and elbows for the door. Dad got a look at the car- turned out to be the 20-something loser son of one of our neighbors. He thought we were on vacation as a family, but it was only my sister he was out of town with her friends.

12 or so years years ago I ran off some very inhospitable drunks on my property in WV that decided my 'back 40' was a place to start a bonfire and get s*itfaced (using my firewood and my picnic table, no less). I had a very nice Kimber .45 on my side and a 12ga auto in my hands. I'll never forget the kid with all the stupid neck tattoos screaming he was "Gonna kill everything I got!!". It was at that point I hit the bolt button on the shotgun and racked a round. That got their attention and persuaded them to vacate at a quick-pace.

So what's your point?

Old 06-30-2015, 01:53 PM

11,572 posts, read 17,506,588 times
Quote:

I think just about everyone here is endorsing proper handgun training, the OP has already made up his mind on gun ownership...you're anti-gun rant is not needed and distracts from the topic (and will more then likely be deleted, as this forum is not the place for it).

Old 06-30-2015, 02:08 PM

I would like to go camping this summer and plan to pocket carry my .380, but will check on laws.

People that haven't had to need a gun, really need it and don't have it, won't understand those of us that have been through things and do.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:11 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,679,948 times
You have waaaaay less chance of being in a serious vehicle accident than 2%... did you buckle up today? I did.

No, I don't wear a loaded handgun while walking around my house or sitting at the dinner table. But several are staged in various rooms in quick-access locations, and we generally keep the door locked.

Anyway, what does being armed while eating have to do with being a sociopath? Are cops on a lunch break all sociopaths in your mind? Or are you one of those people who think a uniform automatically grants the wearer magical powers?

Old 06-30-2015, 03:13 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,444,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I would like to go camping this summer and plan to pocket carry my .380, but will check on laws.

People that haven't had to need a gun, really need it and don't have it, won't understand those of us that have been through things and do.
As far as I remember CA laws about conceal carry, once you broke your camp, it's considered to be your home and you're allowed to carry a handgun or anything else in the vicinity of your shelter (but might not be allowed to carry it to the restroom).

However, most campgrounds don't allow CC. So, you'll be breaking their rules. And I've been told that having a loaded gun on any state land is a sure way to get into trouble (but I was told so more in a hunting context about a long gun, so not sure if camping rule applies here or not).

So, to sum it up, you definitely can CC near your tent/camp if you're camping on undeveloped federally owned land and maybe in a primitive campground on the said land.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:36 PM

7,903 posts, read 6,479,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
You have waaaaay less chance of being in a serious vehicle accident than 2%... did you buckle up today? I did.

No, I don't wear a loaded handgun while walking around my house or sitting at the dinner table. But several are staged in various rooms in quick-access locations, and we generally keep the door locked.

Anyway, what does being armed while eating have to do with being a sociopath? Are cops on a lunch break all sociopaths in your mind? Or are you one of those people who think a uniform automatically grants the wearer magical powers?
I actually carry around my house probably 75% of the time, if not more often even.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
As far as I remember CA laws about conceal carry, once you broke your camp, it's considered to be your home and you're allowed to carry a handgun or anything else in the vicinity of your shelter (but might not be allowed to carry it to the restroom).

However, most campgrounds don't allow CC. So, you'll be breaking their rules. And I've been told that having a loaded gun on any state land is a sure way to get into trouble (but I was told so more in a hunting context about a long gun, so not sure if camping rule applies here or not).

So, to sum it up, you definitely can CC near your tent/camp if you're camping on undeveloped federally owned land and maybe in a primitive campground on the said land.
Good to know. I might pocket carry my .380, it doesn't print at all, and it would only come out if we run into some weirdo.

I worry more about running into illegal grows and sketchy ppl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting