U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,443,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Good to know. I might pocket carry my .380, it doesn't print at all, and it would only come out if we run into some weirdo.

I worry more about running into illegal grows and sketchy ppl.
I don't know if OC still issues CCL. It used to do so some time ago, might be worth checking.
If you cannot get CCL though, there's an exeption to conceal carry law for hunters (and fishermen) actually doing hunting (fishing), as well as hunters are allowed to conceal carry (but unloaded!) while hiking to their hunting place (could be anywhere). So, while living at California, I always has small game license just in case. And I open carried it in the woods and it never became an issue with other hikers (other than them joking about it, that they'll run for my help if they see a bear).

I actually had an altercasion with friendly police guys in Los Padres Forest. They stopped by to ask me put the fire down (you know, fire season, who cares that the camp was just by the river), and were unpleasantly surprised when they saw a gun on my hip. Long story short, after spending some time in handcuffs and them checking all my records, they unloaded my gun and suggested me to have some sleep, no arrest/ not even a ticket (not even for the fire). And while I wasn't exactly conceal carry, I was under influence of alcohol (and they knew it). Still, I was on my campsite, and they weren't rogue (and even could be called friendly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 03:40 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
LOL, no. The Judge is a poor choice for defense.The .410 shell is a snake round. It will not penetrate clothing even at close range. The .45 round it can shoot will most definitely go through a few walls before stopping if you miss your target. Not to mention it's a large round. Most people wouldn't be able to control it while firing.

This guy can explain it better than I can.
Read revisited #53

Their tune changed quite a bit. In the summary it says "some" loads met the 12 inch penetration rule. Well, that would be the round I will be shooting. I don't think having a real wide shot pattern is bad at all.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:04 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,613,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I actually carry around my house probably 75% of the time, if not more often even.
I admit to being somewhat lazy. I just have a weapon in every single room.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:42 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,678,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Read revisited #53

Their tune changed quite a bit. In the summary it says "some" loads met the 12 inch penetration rule. Well, that would be the round I will be shooting. I don't think having a real wide shot pattern is bad at all.
The Box O' Truth #53 - The Taurus Judge, Revisited The Box O' Truth
Some of the 3" shells did a lot better, but still with problems. Also, he tested the same ammo out of a regular .410 shotgun to show the difference. If you shoot a Judge at a bad guy it will do lots of damage... but there are lots of better options (including a defense-length pump or semi .410 shotgun).

Old 07-03-2015, 05:34 PM

10,948 posts, read 14,593,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I think for most folks, a 20 gauge or even a .410, yes, a .410 would be sufficient.

Why?

A 20 gauge at close range is equally effective and much easier to wield. True, if you can handle a 12 gauge, great. And a good semi-auto in either is now reliable enough to be considered front line. I like a pump for simplicity and reliability but, that's mostly a myth now. The semi-autos are truly good enough from folks like Remington and Mossberg. THE gold plated choice for cost-effective shotguns.

Shot? "Hi-Brass" or #3 buck for .20 or 4 shot for 12 down to SINGLE Ought Buck (1 Buck) is a better choice. That BS about you need double ought or triple ought is just that. Better to create 15 wound channels from single ought than 8 or 9 from double or triple. Remember, people stop due to BLOOD Loss not, how powerful your round is or what you think is the mack daddy round de jour.

Go ahead skippy and pull the trigger on 2 3/4 inch double ought out of your 18 inch shotty and tell me what you think of the recoil. Now, do that in your hallway, late at night, when you are half asleep. Please. Everything that can do a .20 gauge can do equally well. A .410 puts out the equivalent of two (2) 9mm rounds at the same time. Think that won't hurt or, as some might say, is ineffective?
Oh I've fired 3" 00 Buck from an 18" barrel in my Mossberg pump. OUCH!!!!!!!

Yeah- 2 3/4" is just fine- high brass #4 is what I load for home defense first in the barrel and then 0 Buck, then 00 Buck. Finally- slugs.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Oh I've fired 3" 00 Buck from an 18" barrel in my Mossberg pump. OUCH!!!!!!!

Yeah- 2 3/4" is just fine- high brass #4 is what I load for home defense first in the barrel and then 0 Buck, then 00 Buck. Finally- slugs.
Why?

Sounds like a liability to me.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 AM

229 posts, read 154,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Why?

I'll have to agree with that.

I've never understood the perception of many folks that using bird or small shot is as viable as using 000 or 00, or slug for that matter.

If it's a penetration issue if one misses and you're worried about wall penetrations, then perhaps more range time is in order. Know what you're shooting at, and know what's behind it, etc.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Why?

Because #4 at close range is a good round for control and self defense. If they leave my domicile- I could give a rats butt if they're bleeding out or not. I may rack BB in there if that's what I got. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Liability is not an issue if there's forced entry- at least not in my state.

I'm pretty sure I've used my shotgun more times than most on this board. I've killed a lot of game with it. #4 in the breadbasket is pretty heady stuff. BB is even more of a wallop. I keep 00 buck in the mag- but not first. Why? Just to say I've got man-juice? Who cares!

It sounds like people are expecting zombies at their doors, criminey.

Last edited by Threerun; 07-04-2015 at 01:26 AM..

Old 07-04-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Because #4 at close range is a good round for control and self defense. If they leave my domicile- I could give a rats butt if they're bleeding out or not. I may rack BB in there if that's what I got. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Liability is not an issue if there's forced entry- at least not in my state.

I'm pretty sure I've used my shotgun more times than most on this board. I've killed a lot of game with it. #4 in the breadbasket is pretty heady stuff. BB is even more of a wallop. I keep 00 buck in the mag- but not first. Why? Just to say I've got man-juice? Who cares!

It sounds like people are expecting zombies at their doors, criminey.
Do you feel like #4 bird shot is a better fight stopper than the larger buckshot or slugs?

Old 07-04-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Do you feel like #4 bird shot is a better fight stopper than the larger buckshot or slugs?
Do you feel a .44mag is a better fight stopper than a .22lr?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZf_x8Esms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting