Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:52 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No one around here thinks they need a gun.
I for one don't make highly important personal decisions based on what people in New England think, especially in regards to guns!

OP, in my opinion, the best home defense gun is one you can carry on you comfortably inside of your home. Some would take that as a simpleton answer, but from what I've seen in life, it's the truth. I'd take a handgun on my hip at all times over a rifle I need to retrieve any day of the week. Home invasions come suddenly and usually without warning. Having a gun handy is the key.

Once that has been established, a rifle/carbine for responding to a protracted situation is my second choice. I have two for that purpose: a .223/5.56 AR and a Marlin Camp 9 carbine. The Camp 9 fires the cheap and reliable 9mm cartridge, of which I always have thousands of rounds available. I also like that it uses the same magazines as my S&W 5946 handgun.

For inexperienced shooters, I agree that a pump shotgun is likely the best choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 01:50 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I for one don't make highly important personal decisions based on what people in New England think, especially in regards to guns!

OP, in my opinion, the best home defense gun is one you can carry on you comfortably inside of your home. Some would take that as a simpleton answer, but from what I've seen in life, it's the truth. I'd take a handgun on my hip at all times over a rifle I need to retrieve any day of the week. Home invasions come suddenly and usually without warning. Having a gun handy is the key.

Once that has been established, a rifle/carbine for responding to a protracted situation is my second choice. I have two for that purpose: a .223/5.56 AR and a Marlin Camp 9 carbine. The Camp 9 fires the cheap and reliable 9mm cartridge, of which I always have thousands of rounds available. I also like that it uses the same magazines as my S&W 5946 handgun.

For inexperienced shooters, I agree that a pump shotgun is likely the best choice.
Of all the weapons I've run, the pump shotgun is by FAR the hardest to be proficient with.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Wrong. 00 buck will penetrate more than a 9mm or even a 5.56.
It honestly depends on the medium, and the round. 00 BUCK is a very VERY poor penetrator of car doors, in my experience, and of wood. However, it will make short work of dry-wall, and penetrates very deeply in soft tissue.

9mm does a little better on car doors and wood, and depending on the load may penetrate either more, or less soft tissue.

5.56 can be tailored to your desire. I have loads that will frag violently on 1 piece of 1/4" soggy ply-board at 200+ yards, and I have loads that will punch nearly 30" of game animal with 1/2" expansion.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Get a loud dog or move to a safer area. No one around here thinks they need a gun. A few have them for hunting and even people who only have them for hunting have been known to kill each other by accident. (my own cousin is one.)
That's absurd. It's like telling a hot girl not to take a self defense class, but rather just pork up and let herself go so noone will want to rape her.

Maybe some people like where they live, and have accepted that even in nice places, bad people do bad things, and want to be prepared, should the need arise, to have the best chance at surviving such an event.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:16 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Consider that one advantage you have as the defender is that you don't have to worry about weight or concealment. The attacker has to haul their weapon with them to the crime scene and then haul it home again, and worry about it being seen.

As a defender, you can go big, and go heavy, and never have to carry your gun more than 50 feet. Length is a concern, but that can be mitigated with practice or with an SBR.

If you have no neighbors, I recommend the PTR 51P PDW. If the bullet doesn't get them, the muzzle blast will

You may want to consider flameproofing the drapes.
That would make a nice truck gun. (Keep in the truck for emergency)

Old 04-29-2015, 09:17 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
How about a dog and a gun? The dog sounds the alarm buying you time to ready yourself.

My rottie is wonderful. She barks should someone approach the house. We always thank her since that is her job and we want to reinforce that behavior. And really, that's all she wants - to alert us. Once we acknowledge the alarm, she goes back to whatever she was doing.

With a rottweiler in the home, there is rarely a need for anything else.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:07 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland[/quote
No one around here thinks they need a gun.
Do not assume that in_newengland speaks for the whole region -- I'm in (northern) New England, and everybody up here (ME/VT/NH) has a gun. Not so much for 2-legged predators as for the 4-legged ones.

Quote:
I don't entirely agree -- as stated earlier, a pump shotgun may be relatively safe, but takes time and practice for an inexperienced shooter to gain proficiency, and the OAL isn't optimal.

Another drawback is that new shooters tend to be nervous about the recoil of a 12GA, and anything smaller is less effective and takes more expensive ammo, further reducing practice time.

Quote:
The Camp 9 fires the cheap and reliable 9mm cartridge...
Good choice.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:14 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
For legal reasons I would avoid using an AR-15, AK style shotgun, or silenced weapon for home defense.

Your best home defense weapon is cheap (because you will likely not get it back after a home defense shooting) , durable, portable, with high capacity. I'd say something like a S&W M&P9C or Ruger P95. 9MM cartridge with hollowpoints or .45ACP with regular ball ammo. Plenty of practice using the weapon... don't just buy it and put it away and expect to shoot someone with no practice whatsoever unholstering, dry firing, operating the safety, etc.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:35 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Do not assume that in_newengland speaks for the whole region -- I'm in (northern) New England, and everybody up here (ME/VT/NH) has a gun. Not so much for 2-legged predators as for the 4-legged ones.
Another drawback is that new shooters tend to be nervous about the recoil of a 12GA, and anything smaller is less effective and takes more expensive ammo, further reducing practice time.
I agree - never assume anything about gun ownership based on the state or region of residence. I know plenty of gun owners who live in California, and I know plenty of anti-gunners who live in Tennessee.

I disagree with you about the 12-Ga, though... A 20-ga, while technically "smaller and less effective" than a 12-ga, is still much more powerful and effective than any reasonable handgun and even most rifles. Depending on gun weight and load, the recoil ranges from .308Win to 7mm Rem Mag levels for a 20ga (12Ga recoil is much higher). I believe getting hit by a full 20ga load is equivalent to getting hit by two 44Mag slugs simultaneously, and I don't know of anyone who considers the .44Mag to be "less effective".

And defense-quality ammo cost is quite comparable if you shop around and compare apples-to-apples. For practice you can find some really cheap deals on #00 buck in 12GA, but you have to move to birdshot to get cheap shells in 20ga.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:12 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
I vote for the iconic Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun - in tactical setup with shortened barrel and 6+1 capacity. The dread of robbers, low-lifes, and scum intent on home and business burglaries for the last 80+ years.
Do not get the pistol grip unless you enjoy the sensation of a dislocated wrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting