Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:45 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
I've been wanting one for my house to use for security when I'm gone. They are quite a bit more expensive than a standard camera. plus you have to pay a monthly fee for the cell usage
Explains why I never seen them up here in the boondocks North Dakota. I have no cell phone coverage like most of the areas that are more than 20 miles from either I-94 or I-29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 03:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
My amazement is if that have reason to believe then why do they not do search themselves even if just for evidence procedure reasons. Sure that was a real police officer :OP. Call and ask to come in and speak to him if so.If he has photo or video evidence then that will like be certain to indicate search area itself.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:09 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
I'm assuming the police aren't searching because it was unrelated to the case they were originally investigating, and/or they simply don't have the manpower to search multiple houses (a few? dozens?) to try and locate hidden cameras that may have long been removed. My guess from what has been presented is that the police arrested someone for the possession of stolen goods. Then in the process of that arrest they found game cameras and a list of target addresses. It is possible the list was for current camera locations, or it could have been past or even potential future locations.

But back to the original question: Assuming they were casing your house, the camera would have to be located in a place where it could see what they wanted to see, but also a place where they could access it without detection. If they suspect a motion-activated game camera, then that limits the area. Those take time-stamped still images only when activated, and they have a fairly limited range. I believe some also have the option to take pictures constantly at set intervals. My guess is they were trying to get a record of your coming and going. Do you leave and return at set times every day, or is your schedule variable? Is there a period of time on certain days when you are never home? That way they would know how much time they have for a burglary.

If that is true, then the camera would have to be located such that it would detect and capture your comings and goings. So look for one pointed at or along your driveway or carport/garage so the motion sensor would detect your vehicle. Checking the camera would have to be done without detection by you or a neighbor, so look for an such an area. Even a place that is open but totally dark at night would work. Crawl through bushes low to the ground; look up in trees; look on the other side of fences; also check things like utility poles and other places where someone in a fake uniform could work and still be invisible. Also check across the street for a camera set to take pictures at intervals.

Good luck!

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 05-07-2015 at 04:18 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 07:06 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
I've been wanting one for my house to use for security when I'm gone. They are quite a bit more expensive than a standard camera. plus you have to pay a monthly fee for the cell usage
I have one on my house but it's hard wired to an IP and 120 for power. The wireless one attached to it doesn't have very good range from the DVD it's attached to. I can check it from my phone anywhere with signal.

The wifi 4g wireless I looked at all had herky jerky picture as I expected they would. Expensive is right.

If the lot is as big as I'm suspecting I'd be guessing good old fashioned game cams.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:11 PM

7 posts, read 5,315 times
Thank all of you for your informative responses. So, the game cameras do not allow the viewer to watch a live video, still images are transmitted. About how long do batteries last in a game camera?

Does anyone know, if someone set up a wireless video surveillance, not game cameras, would they need to connect to a local wireless broadband connection to transmit video to a cell phone or other viewing device? I ask because the officer who contacted me said, it might be game cameras, but I also discovered my wireless connection had been hacked into around the same time.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:36 AM

818 posts, read 916,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster Diva View Post
Thank all of you for your informative responses. So, the game cameras do not allow the viewer to watch a live video, still images are transmitted. About how long do batteries last in a game camera?

Does anyone know, if someone set up a wireless video surveillance, not game cameras, would they need to connect to a local wireless broadband connection to transmit video to a cell phone or other viewing device? I ask because the officer who contacted me said, it might be game cameras, but I also discovered my wireless connection had been hacked into around the same time.
as far as I know , game cameras do not have live video, of course there are plenty of home security cameras that do.
batteries can last up to one year , depending on how many photos are taken.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:49 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
There are a few "Game Cameras" on the market with WiFi, and models which transmit the captured images to a remote storage device within a few hundred feet, so the hunter can collect the images without leaving his scent in the immediate area of the camera itself. Also helps if somebody steals your camera -- you'll have a copy of the picture of them coming up with their bolt cutters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster Diva View Post
I have looked online for detectors, but the majority of them seem to be for indoor use, and others seem to be very expensive and require the cameras to be working, which I am not sure if they are active or not at this point. I am Looking for suggestions on how I can inexpensively find hidden outdoor cameras in the woods, whether they are game cameras or otherwise.. Any advice is appreciated.
You can detect a camera in the woods using something like a "SpyFinder", basically by looking for the glint of a camera lens in the reflected light. You can buy or make a device that simplifies glint detection.

The 'glint' detection does not rely on the camera being powered, or functional, just looks for lens-like reflective objects.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
If they were watching you with game cameras then the cameras themselves would have had to be fairly close to inhabited common areas to provide any good surveillance information. I suspect two to three trees back of pedestrian and vehicle pass through areas and the main house. Should be easy to do a walk through those areas. I come across people's game cameras all the time while out in the back country hunting and looking for game. Smile your on candid camera.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 5,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I'm assuming the police aren't searching because it was unrelated to the case they were originally investigating, and/or they simply don't have the manpower to search multiple houses (a few? dozens?) to try and locate hidden cameras that may have long been removed. My guess from what has been presented is that the police arrested someone for the possession of stolen goods. Then in the process of that arrest they found game cameras and a list of target addresses. It is possible the list was for current camera locations, or it could have been past or even potential future locations.
Yes, jwkilgore, you are correct. I did call in directly to the police department at a later date, and did confirm the officer who contacted me is a legitimate officer, and yes, they found my address in a log kept by the criminals. It was unclear if the criminals had already placed cameras on my property and removed them, or if the cameras are still here, or if they planned to do so in the future. I was asked if I had found any cameras, and if not to look for cameras and if I found any, not to touch them, but to contact the police.

My schedule is variable, so if they are looking to pinpoint a time my home is empty, they will have a hard time doing this. There are so many places here a camera could be hidden and the brush is thick now, so it's hard to get through with all the new Spring growth.

I have been outside each day, during the day, and at night, looking for any time of flash, and using a flashlight as well. I even loaded an app onto my cell phone which is supposed to detect camera lenses, which seems pretty worthless. I couldn't even get it to detect the camera on my computer.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:57 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
You may want to do some game camming yourself!! With four you could set up a pretty good parameter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting