U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:14 AM

7 posts, read 4,307 times

Advertisements

I have read a few trail camera posts here, and thought maybe someone might offer good advice. I was recently contacted by the local police department, and told they arrested someone who had evidence in his possession that suggested he may have planted hidden outdoor cameras on my property, in the wooded area around my home. It was stated that the information showed the cameras were placed during the winter.

The officer who contacted me suggested I go outside and search for these cameras and if any were found to call in, and they would send officers out to collect them. He said, they were probably game cameras.

I felt the police should come out and look for the cameras, but it was stated that their case against the person they arrested did not involve hidden cameras, that he was calling to warn me that I might have cameras on our property used for spying on us, and if I actually found the cameras I could press charges.

I looked, but did not find anything, but know that some cameras can be so small they may be very hard to detect. I even walked outside at night with a flashlight and tried to catch a reflection, but the woods are now thick due to Spring growth.

I have looked online for detectors, but the majority of them seem to be for indoor use, and others seem to be very expensive and require the cameras to be working, which I am not sure if they are active or not at this point. I am Looking for suggestions on how I can inexpensively find hidden outdoor cameras in the woods, whether they are game cameras or otherwise.. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:31 AM

812 posts, read 664,263 times
You can start by looking at night. If they were using cameras that use red flash, infra red, you can see them when they trigger . They will look like a dim break light on a car.
If they are " black flash" ( a different type of infra bulb ) they will be almost impossible to see at night when they trigger.
During the day look for the shine / glare of the camera lens or lens that is over the flash bulbs
Google this website - wwwTrailcampro , it has reviews of most of the popular cameras to give you an idea of what to look for . The smallest ones are about 3 inchs X 4 inches
I assume they must have been casing your house to break in ?? Since the cameras won't trigger through windows. ( if you were wondering if the person was a peeper )
good luck

Old 05-07-2015, 07:34 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,695,334 times
Ask if you can view or even obtain a copy of the images. Maybe you'll be able to figure out the camera location that way.

Were they pictures of game, or were they pictures of you?

It's also possible the cameras have already been taken down.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:47 AM

32,924 posts, read 30,173,166 times
If they are game cams they will have to be checked. Start with acting like you are looking for deer. Foot prints, wipe the area clean and stay off trails where they would be walking. After a rain or snow it's easy.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:33 AM

Thanks for all your responses. Unfortunately there were not any pictures or videos to determine camera positioning. They had a written log of addresses they were placing cameras and my address was in the log.

Yes, they did seem to be casing my home, though the police have not shared a lot of information with me, since everything they have is part of their investigation. I was asked if I had found any cameras on my property, and warned that there might be cameras on my property, and it was stated they MIGHT be game cameras.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If they are game cams they will have to be checked. Start with acting like you are looking for deer. Foot prints, wipe the area clean and stay off trails where they would be walking. After a rain or snow it's easy.
1AngryTaxPayer, are you saying whoever placed the cameras would have to return to check on the cameras? If so, I am guessing this would be to replace batteries, would there be another reason the cameras would need to be checked?

Old 05-07-2015, 11:58 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,567,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster Diva View Post
1AngryTaxPayer, are you saying whoever placed the cameras would have to return to check on the cameras? If so, I am guessing this would be to replace batteries, would there be another reason the cameras would need to be checked?
Every game camera I am familiar with does not transmit the images. They are very much like any standard digital camera except they have a Motion detector to snap the picture.

You need to check the camera to see if it took any pictures.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-07-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Every game camera I am familiar with does not transmit the images. They are very much like any standard digital camera except they have a Motion detector to snap the picture.

You need to check the camera to see if it took any pictures.
This is incorrect ^ There are several companies that now make wireless cameras that send photos in seconds using a cell phone signal

Old 05-07-2015, 03:20 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,567,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
This is incorrect ^ There are several companies that now make wireless cameras that send photos in seconds using a cell phone signal
Thank you for the correction. I must be behind the times.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-07-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Thank you for the correction. I must be behind the times.
I've been wanting one for my house to use for security when I'm gone. They are quite a bit more expensive than a standard camera. plus you have to pay a monthly fee for the cell usage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting