U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 AM

805 posts, read 1,261,826 times

Advertisements

I'm with Amy.
Would never carry in a purse. Not only can you get separated from the purse but you can loose precious milliseconds navigating into the purse for the holster.

On the body and tons of range time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,350,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
That is a palm size pistol called Seecamp.
Yeah, it's a steel pistol made in the USA and it costs more than he makes in a month.

Otherwise, good advice in this thread; on-body carry is safer and tactically superior; but if purse carry is necessary, then use a holster and a dedicated compartment.

Further, arrange it so you can carry with one hand on the gun, ready to draw, the other hand free to defend, or use keys, open doors, etc. Practice daily tasks with hand on gun, make it a habit.

A strap is easily reinforced with a length of steel cable, such as from a cheap bicycle lock.
But I don't know anyone who has ever had a purse stolen from her shoulder; several have had purses stolen from chairs, cars, etc. None contained handguns, because gunowners are more careful IMHO.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:40 PM

7,824 posts, read 7,818,887 times
My Mom got mugged in Monterrey, Mexico in 1970 - in broad daylight walking with a friend on a good sidewalk right outside the university campus. Desperate dude tried to grab her purse off her shoulder, but she wouldn't let go. both women screamed loud enough for the campus security guards to come a-running to help. Of course the mugger was long gone, and my 60 year old Mom was a bit bruised & scraped on her arms & legs.

But she never toted any guns.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:52 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,947,609 times
practice upholstering and dry firing... hundreds of times. Make it into muscle memory. I have a Ruger LCP which fires amazingly accurate and nice for what it is. I was surprised. The cheapo grip I got for it makes a big difference. I no longer feel the need to get a S&W Shield after firing it some. It's much smaller with similar ammo capacity and the round has a similar stopping power... not enough to worry about.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:18 AM

7,824 posts, read 7,818,887 times
Yeah, LCPs are good, reliable little guns. Kinda hard on my hand at the range if shootin' more than 30 or 40 rounds though.

Somebody ran a clearance sale on the "FDE" LCP last month for $199.95. Should have bought a couple more just for the heck of it.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:57 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,678,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
My Mom got mugged in Monterrey, Mexico in 1970 - in broad daylight walking with a friend on a good sidewalk right outside the university campus. Desperate dude tried to grab her purse off her shoulder, but she wouldn't let go. both women screamed loud enough for the campus security guards to come a-running to help. Of course the mugger was long gone, and my 60 year old Mom was a bit bruised & scraped on her arms & legs.
Search for YouTube videos of purse snatches. People think of it as only a monetary crime, but it can be amazingly violent when a 200lb+ thug grabs hold of a 125lb woman's purse and starts slinging her around and slamming her into things because she won't let go.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:41 PM

17,907 posts, read 9,843,391 times
On the other hand:

Woman shoots man trying to rob her at gas station - Houston Chronicle

But I'm not suggesting that exceptions create a rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting