U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 11:19 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,317,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
UNLESS you can find a TRUSTED friend to aid you, take them to 3 FFL dealers (gun shops), and ask for a bid. Sell to the highest bidder and move on. As noted by others, there's a hodgepodge of local, state and federal laws that you have to navigate - and given your level of knowledge of them, you could accidentally violate one, and spend FAR more in legal fees that you'd gain by selling individually.

For the rest of us......valuable lesson here. My wife enjoys shooting - but isn't into guns like I am. I have a inventory list of all my guns, with their associated value. Something happens to me, she'll have an idea of what they're worth to use as a guide as she sells.
Not trying to scare you OP. It probably isn't that harsh depending on where you live. If you live in any of what we like to call "the free states"... which is most of them, you shouldn't have to worry. But if you live in a state like New York or New Jersey, forget it. Have an attorney on retainer, lol.

As others have recommended, your best bet is to find someone that you can trust to help you out with this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:34 AM

722 posts, read 836,376 times
sometimes it's better to destroy them than give them away for nothing to dealers

as long as the receiver is destroyed it's no longer a firearm.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:10 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,124,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My biggest fear is my wife selling my guns for what I said I paid for em
Selling them? Hah she's just gonna give them to her next boyfriend. Btw you see any brown loafers under your bed, size 13, can't seem to find mine.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
sometimes it's better to destroy them than give them away for nothing to dealers

Are you for real?

Old 05-29-2015, 03:17 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,317,512 times
Quote:

How do you figure? Who destroys a perfectly good and valuable commodity? Furthermore, who suggests that doing so would be a good idea, other than an anti-gun person trolling a gun enthusiast forum?.....

Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 AM

10,948 posts, read 14,598,176 times
Quote:

Might as well take the sledge hammer to the jewelry, antiques, art and anything you own other than cash, securities and your house.

No- you better burn those too. You seldom get market value at estate sales. So just keep the cash.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 PM

32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Selling them? Hah she's just gonna give them to her next boyfriend. Btw you see any brown loafers under your bed, size 13, can't seem to find mine.
Ya, didn't know they made those in metric

Old 06-03-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, didn't know they made those in metric
Yup 33cm. Women's favorite number

Old 06-04-2015, 09:45 PM

1,114 posts, read 859,314 times
I know this is a gun section of City-Data but I'd recommend a gun oriented forum. This forum I'm a member of is full fledged professionally staffed gun forum. Great people that includes smiths, armorers, lawyers, etc.

Please go there and join us and we'll do everything for you that's best for you.

Main Page

Old 06-06-2015, 08:13 PM

5,998 posts, read 6,365,747 times
My spouse has been instructed to get my guns appraised by several reputable dealers, then to sell retail either via consignment at a dealer or an online auction like gunbroker. Or at gun shows, if still legal after I kick.

Dealers will pay about 25% of retail.

Private party sales are best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or