Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:21 AM

428 posts, read 643,290 times

Advertisements

When my dh died he had a collection of firearms I now want to sell. I know too little about them to have an intelligent conversation, and don't wish to become an expert either.

Some of what he has are a pair of chrome (?) dirty harry type pistols--357 I think, a couple of ppk and glocks and a bunch of rifles.

He told me before he died that a dealer wouldn't give me what they were worth, and I should try for a collector.

Where would you advertise them, and are guns allowed to be shipped to out of state buyers?
What else should I know about selling them?
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 AM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
First off, what State are you in?

Second, beware those who want to rip you off. Look on gunbroker.com for what is fair and then go from there.

Yes, you can sell out of State.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:48 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
You cannot ship out of state to a private individual but can to a licensed dealer. First and before all else check your state and counties laws. Some areas require a buyer have a concealed weapons permit or have a background check before they can get the gun, in some states all guns are registered.

Below are some site to get an idea of what they may be worth and possibly to advertise them or auction them.

Buy & Sell Guns Online at GunAuction.com - New & Used Guns For Sale

GunsAmerica Buy Guns Online and Sell Guns Online - Gun Auctions

On this one they can be advertised in YOUR state which may be a lot safer since the buyer would probably be able to come pick them up. ARMSLIST - Firearms Classifieds

Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Ask around among your DH's friends; surely some of them know something about guns and may be able to tell you if any are collectible vs. just ordinary guns. Don't take any offers they make, though, especially if they say they aren't worth much.

If it turns out you really do have collectible/valuable firearms, your best bet would be to go through an estate sale auction company. Something like Southeast USA Gun Brokers, We Sell Guns, WE BUY GUNS, Hayesville NC Gun Store, in spite of their unfortunate choice of web address, may be what you need. Look up and find estate auction companies, especially those who specialize in firearms.

Sites like Gunbroker or GunsAmerica are valuable for an individuals trying to learn what they have, but it would require tons of research and at least a little starting knowledge. Your post tells me you wouldn't even know where to begin.

Edit:
This article on GunsAmerica has lots of valuable information on where to start: http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sell...t-gunsamerica/

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 05-27-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-27-2015, 03:02 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times
The reason you dad told you not to take the guns to a dealer was most dealer's will give you 1/2 of what they can sell a gun for; so if the gun dealer thinks that they can cell a firearm for $800 dollars, they will give you $400. The dealer has employees to pay, as well other bills associated with that business.

The other methods mentioned hear have been good advice, but something to keep in mind all of the above mentioned methods require time to sell properly. If time is not a factor, then it is good advice. If you are more pressed for time to get rid of the firearms quickly, a dealer is a valid chose, but bear in mind that you will most likely get 1/2 of what the firearms are worth.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:35 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Sorry for your loss.

As noted above, it depends how much time and effort you want to put into it. Do you want to just be rid of the guns, or are you willing to wait for the right buyer to come along? It also depends on how many of his firearms are actually "collectable." Lots of guys know guys who have FFLs (dealer permit), so they can pick up firearms for $20 over wholesale. Did he have a friend who can help you out?

Old 05-27-2015, 11:56 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
When my dh died he had a collection of firearms I now want to sell. I know too little about them to have an intelligent conversation, and don't wish to become an expert either.

Some of what he has are a pair of chrome (?) dirty harry type pistols--357 I think, a couple of ppk and glocks and a bunch of rifles.

He told me before he died that a dealer wouldn't give me what they were worth, and I should try for a collector.

Where would you advertise them, and are guns allowed to be shipped to out of state buyers?
What else should I know about selling them?
Thanks for your help.
Didn't your Husband have any friends that were also in to guns that you could consult? They would probably steer you in the right direction. And no, a dealer will not pay you what they're worth, but that's because they're a dealer and will be re-selling them. They have to make a profit. It's hard to tell you where to even start, assuming you have no knowledge whatsoever.

Perhaps you could list the make and model of your guns here on this thread ( example: Glock 19 ) and we could give you a ruff idea of what you can expect to sell them for?

As far as the legalities of selling and shipping a firearm? My best advice to you would be to consult an attorney and/or familiarize yourself with the laws yourself. It can be tricky. I don't think the USPS even allows you mail weapons, but I could be wrong. Things like handguns have to be sent to a Federal Firearms Dealer if you are selling to an out-of-state resident, and the laws could be even stricter if you live in a nutty state like NY or MD. If you live n a deep blue state, DEFINATELY seek legal advice. Many otherwise law-abiding people have mistakenly stepped on anti-gun landmines within the laws and had their lives ruined as a result. It'd be a shame to add another to the list.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
UNLESS you can find a TRUSTED friend to aid you, take them to 3 FFL dealers (gun shops), and ask for a bid. Sell to the highest bidder and move on. As noted by others, there's a hodgepodge of local, state and federal laws that you have to navigate - and given your level of knowledge of them, you could accidentally violate one, and spend FAR more in legal fees that you'd gain by selling individually.

For the rest of us......valuable lesson here. My wife enjoys shooting - but isn't into guns like I am. I have a inventory list of all my guns, with their associated value. Something happens to me, she'll have an idea of what they're worth to use as a guide as she sells.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:25 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
UNLESS you can find a TRUSTED friend to aid you, take them to 3 FFL dealers (gun shops), and ask for a bid. Sell to the highest bidder and move on. As noted by others, there's a hodgepodge of local, state and federal laws that you have to navigate - and given your level of knowledge of them, you could accidentally violate one, and spend FAR more in legal fees that you'd gain by selling individually.

For the rest of us......valuable lesson here. My wife enjoys shooting - but isn't into guns like I am. I have a inventory list of all my guns, with their associated value. Something happens to me, she'll have an idea of what they're worth to use as a guide as she sells.

I'd say the above (speaking as one newer to gun ownership) is solid information.

OP, is there anyone in the extended family who would truly appreciate one of the guns, whether someone new to the sport/hobby, perhaps one who hunted or target shot with your DH, etc?

Some years back my father in law passed, and his extensive collection was just set aside. Only in the past couple years did the family go thru it, some were sold off and a couple handed down. I was fortunate to receive one, it may have been just a basic little .22 (is a 60 yr old Colt) but it was my first gun and knowing it's family history really means a lot to me.

Anyhow just thinking out loud there....

Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 AM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
My biggest fear is my wife selling my guns for what I said I paid for em
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting