U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 09:24 PM

10,515 posts, read 11,623,635 times

Advertisements

A comedian turned actress turned talk show host. Yeah, I take her seriously.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:35 PM

14,311 posts, read 12,565,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
It may have been delivered with a comical style but it is the same old anti-2nd amendment argument that has been made for years. However, that was not the point. The point was that the 2nd amendment doesn't mention muskets as she claimed. So, once again we have someone who A) doesn't know squat about shotguns claiming to own and use one for self-defense but then B) pretends to be an authority on the subject while demonstrating no understanding whatsoever. That might be funny but, unfortunately, it's not a joke because people who don't know better think she knows what she pontificates about. And, then there's the whole hypocrite thing....
OMG. She wasn't writing a term paper on the 2cd amendment......she was making a joke. And I am betting you are the only one who doesn't know better.

What's scary is people who take everything they hear literally.

You do not have to be a mechanic to own and drive a car nor do you have to be a gun expert to own and fire a gun.

I am quite sure Whoopi owns a handgun/shotgun/rifle or two or three.

And, where did you get the idea she was anti 2cd amendment?

Gun Control: Where Do Stars Stand on Firearms? - Whoopi Goldberg - 9 | Celebuzz

Quote:
I’m an NRA member, as you
know or probably don’t know,” she said on The View. “But I don’t mind
having to register and let them know that I have them…. I want to know that
there’s at least some way to prevent folks who are just getting out from mental
institutions [from getting guns].”

Old 06-04-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coors Runner View Post
Nothing worse than an actor or actress who is anti-gun and proclaims to be an authority on the subject.

There's plenty of real celebs who really do own, hunt, shoot and carry.
Again.........where are you getting this idea that Whoopi is anti gun?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:40 AM

5,112 posts, read 7,639,834 times
Again, missing the point. I have no problem believing that she owns a shotgun although I doubt it is a pump O/U. Maybe she is OK with the 2nd amendment (she apparently thinks it is OK for her) but she demonstrated that her understanding of it is pretty shallow.

The point is that she is a liberal, on a liberal talk show, speaking to a liberal audience, making the case against ownership of AK-47s because "the law" discusses muskets. It doesn't. As I said, she did it in the familiar comical Whoopi way but if you think those audience members were applauding because they thought her statement was funny on the face of its absurdity, you are naive beyond words. I don't own an AK but I also don't appreciate people with pump O/U shotguns, who habitually lecture from a bully pulpit on all manner of hot topics, mucking up the general voting public's understanding of the subject. That's how we end up with attacks on constitutional rights.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:50 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Whoopi been watching to much Jackie Brown:

AK 47 when you absolutely positively got to kill every.......

Spoiler

Old 06-05-2015, 09:40 AM

15,709 posts, read 22,756,161 times
Quote:
Again, missing the point. I have no problem believing that she owns a shotgun although I doubt it is a pump O/U. Maybe she is OK with the 2nd amendment (she apparently thinks it is OK for her) but she demonstrated that her understanding of it is pretty shallow.

The point is that she is a liberal, on a liberal talk show, speaking to a liberal audience, making the case against ownership of AK-47s because "the law" discusses muskets. It doesn't. As I said, she did it in the familiar comical Whoopi way but if you think those audience members were applauding because they thought her statement was funny on the face of its absurdity, you are naive beyond words. I don't own an AK but I also don't appreciate people with pump O/U shotguns, who habitually lecture from a bully pulpit on all manner of hot topics, mucking up the general voting public's understanding of the subject. That's how we end up with attacks on constitutional rights.
Have you ever been an audience member, where the applause flashes? Sure Whoppi owns a gun or two; I'm not familiar with guns, but know what an AK 47 is. But yeah, going be someone who takes her seriously, believing she's standing behind her door locked and loaded. I feel sorry for them.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:

NEWSFLASH:

Most gun owners, liberal and conservative, support having regulations on gun ownership, that does not mean they are against the 2cd amendment.

Your obvious hate of everyone/everything liberal is clouding your ability to accurately comprehend Whoopi's comment for what it was.......an off the cuff joke.

If a conservative comedian made the same comment under the same circumstances, I am quite sure you wouldn't claim it was a serious dissertation on the 2cd amendment.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:39 AM

5,112 posts, read 7,639,834 times
OK, Annie53....relax, take a deep breath and calm yourself. I don't hate liberals, I don't hate Whoopi, I don't hate anything or anyone except maybe liars and thieves and we aren't talking about either.

I also don't have a problem with some aspects of gun control so I think it is your thinking that is being clouded by your knee jerk reaction to what I said. So, if you want to understand what I said, I will try one last time. If not, let's just agree to disagree but we don't have to be antagonists about it, OK?

Whoopi (who according to your link is a gun owner and a NRA member) was talking about a guy who showed up with a rifle legally slung across his shoulder at an airport and they were comparing that to the story about the TSA's terrible performance in detecting weapons and bombs. I wasn't listening closely at that point but the photo caught my eye so I started paying attention.

She and some of the others then went on to talk about how they are gun owners and Whoopi mentioned that she has an "over/under shotgun" because she doesn't like people showing up unexpectedly at her house. She then went on to explain how someone who does show up at the door hears the classic pump action sound so they know she means business. So, at that point, I found myself thinking she is either lying and doesn't know what she is talking about or, as you suggested, she's just "being Whoopi". However, since I've seen her pass off her opinion as authoritative on other subjects, she had my attention so I waited to hear if she had any gems of knowledge to share. Yes, I know that is snarky but I've seen it many times before. I don't hate her but I'm not a fan of her style. Like her movies, though.

That was when she mentioned that "the law" only mentions muskets so --and here is the point-- if you want a rifle, the only one you should be allowed to have is a musket. Was that I joke? I'll admit I can't say for sure since I don't know her intent. Was it a misstatement of fact? Yup. Was it a mischaracterization of the amendment? I guess there is some disagreement on that but I believe so. Anyway, no big deal, right? Well...not exactly. If she had been at a restaurant or a party talking about the same subject, fine. But, she is a TV/film personality, speaking to a large audience, and she has a tendency on that show to present her opinion as authoritative fact. I have no doubt that she influences the opinions of those who watch her all the time and I'd bet that she and her producers would agree. Add to that, there are two anti-gun, anti-2A, arguments that you hear over and over again. The one about a militia, and the one about muskets. That is undeniable.

So, while she didn't bring up the militia argument, she did invoke the musket argument. Was she joking? I don't know, maybe you are right (you appear to be far more familiar with her inner thoughts than I am). Either way, serious or satire, it was irresponsible of her. She either poisoned the well further for all gun owners and constitutionalists, or she made a joke at our expense. Maybe it was both. Is it worth losing sleep over? Not for me. It was just an interesting observation for me and I thought I'd bring it up here for conversation.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:33 PM

5,508 posts, read 2,589,479 times
An 'over/under' pump action shotgun isn't all that silly. It has an over barrel and under tube magazine. But it's still wrong. She could have been thinking of the home defence type pump action with the magazine tube the same length as the barrel but not necessarily. Gun ignorance is rife in the world, even among gun owners!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:16 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,631,407 times
Liars with a platform to espouse their lies are dangerous to the 2A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or