U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 04:18 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times

Advertisements

To come back to the original question, I don't see how having a permit to carry can cause unnecessary confrontation.

Will someone who is not carrying a weapon be led to confront someone who is armed just because they are? That seems counter intuitive to me.

And is there any evidence that people who do carry seek out unnecessary confrontation with others? I haven't seen any.

There are, no doubt, individuals who are more confrontational than others. But I think that is irrespective of whether they have a permit or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,719,944 times
11 million CCWs in th US. Very few are revoked for criminal infractions. You are lees likely to be shot by a CCW than a cop.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 8,369,074 times
Odds are that it has and will happen, but the record shows that it is a rarity when a concealed carry license holder commits a violent crime. And who's to say that the carrier would not be armed if he/she wasn't licensed?
The license doesn't "cause" anything, no more than a gun "causes" a shooting.

Here in Texas with 800,000+ CHL holders, the crime conviction rate is extremely low - and everybody knows us Texans are a bunch of yayhoos:

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/ch.../convrates.htm

Old 06-07-2015, 04:42 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,719,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst 4 View Post
I wouldn't know, I didn't get my training from NRA instructors. I also don't have that luxury to pick and choose where I go, it's a job and a paycheck. Also living in one of the top 10 unsolved murder capitals of the U.S. and a major drug running belt between two major cities in adjacent States....I rarely go anywhere unarmed when in town.

Oh, I won't go into detail of my life or story because after all this is the "error net" and no one would believe it anyway.
If you must carry in high crime areas then that is how it is. I'm saying to avoid these areas if possible.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 PM

261 posts, read 254,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No big surprise. This is a common (false) argument used by the anti 2A folks. Carrying a firearm will make people just randomly fly off the handle and become aggressive when in fact the exact opposite is true.
This

Or the "How will a police officer know who the bad guy is if everyone is shooting", or "what if you shoot an innocent bystander"

Old 06-07-2015, 06:44 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,280,805 times
Quote:
They can show up after all hell has broken loose. I wouldn't want to be accidentally shot or misidentified.

The scary gun owners report nothing except a dead corpse.
Given the number of news reports about cops shooting unarmed citizens, why do you think not carrying makes you any safer? I have not heard any stories about licensed conceal carry owners being mistakenly shot.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:48 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,280,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post
This

Or the "How will a police officer know who the bad guy is if everyone is shooting", or "what if you shoot an innocent bystander"
Don't shoot innocent bystanders is rule one.

If the cops show up and everyone is shooting, the good guys will stop and let the police take over. Mother bad guys will run or keep shooting. The cops don't always start shooting just because they can. Usually they only shoot people who appear to be a danger. Once you put your gun down and makes your empty hands visible, they stop shooting at you.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:28 PM

6,000 posts, read 6,848,961 times
Quote:
That kind of defeats the whole purpose of owning and carrying all together. If you feel endangered at Chuck E. Cheese's with a bunch of three year olds, I'd recommend carrying your piece with you.
ESPECIALLY at Chuckie Cheese!

My god have you seen the terror a gang of three year olds can cause?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:41 PM

8,199 posts, read 6,126,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
From my observation over the years hearing about or reading about shootings in the news, it seems a large percentage of confrontations that happen could have been avoided just by backing down or not arguing or talking back with the other person? everybody is taught to never back down, dont be afraid, dont let somebody tell you what to do, etc, everybody thinks they are so macho, everybody has to be a tough guy?

since I dont carry a personal defense firearm, I always back down, I never try to be the tough guy, I dont give people the bird, or argue with strangers, this prevents 90% of any type of confrontation or violence, dont butt heads with people and most of the time they will leave you alone.
You're assuming that the act of carrying a firearm turns one from Bruce Banner into the Hulk.

As CCW carrier, I understand that my number one weapon is my brain. The last thing I want to do is get into a confrontation that leads to me using my gun. The amount of cost and hassle that would entail would be astronomical. The gun is only there as a last resort when all of the other options have failed.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:50 PM

6,000 posts, read 6,848,961 times
Quote:
Two ways to look at it. Unless you qualify pistol expert or above, I wouldn't want just any old guy who shoots 50 rounds a year firing in a building full of small children. Even at expert and above levels of proficiency, it's a dangerous move doing so.
I assume you think a good samaritan would like intervene and act to stop a school shooting? Well worry no more because the kids are on their own. Ever heard of the Federal school exclusion zone? Even WITH a CCW you can NOT discharge a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school for ANY reason unless you are LE or on private property. I'm not going to jail for the kids, sorry. Call a cop, or tell the idiots in Congress to fix the law.

Skill in arms is training dependent and distance oriented. Someone who shoots 50 rounds a year is unlikely to miss their target at 3 yards. But so is someone with zero skills. At 50 feet marksmanship comes into major play. A robbery may very well be inside 9'. But an active shooter may well be engaged at 50-100 feet or more. One thing most ccw holders know is their limits.

I don't know of any study made on the distances of active shooter interdiction. I do know maybe half do it themselves, maybe another 25% give up. But it would be interesting to track the weapons and distances used to stop active shooters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or