U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:12 AM

2,791 posts, read 3,883,348 times

Advertisements

Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 01:53 AM

9,763 posts, read 5,446,222 times
Guns or not, I think it depends on the person to begin with.

As I commented to one of my belly dancing sisters last month, I avoid fighting situations.....because having trained anti terrorism police troops in the distant past, even if I win the immediate fisticuffs, it will probably come back to haunt me because of who I have been. Basically for two reasons one of them being at that level of experience, a court could see it as deadly force and secondly, I fight neither honorably or nice.

If anything, my "brawling" training is perhaps my handicap because if it comes down to blows (but hopefully it won't because long story short, I listen to my instincts and beat feet when they say bolt), that is likely to be used first. The non gun people may think that's great but it's not so nice when someone gets hit with a chair, tossed over a balcony, thrown at a window.

I'm known for my audacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER 1050 View Post
What's the first thing they teach anyone who was formally trained?

Dehumanize your enemy....don't look into his eyes or see his face. Don't think about his wife, girlfriend, mother, father or children. This guy was sent here to end your life. End his first.
Funny it should be mentioned that way. In a psychology class, we were given a problem of offing someone via at distance with a rifle, knocking them over the back of the head, or face to face strangling them. The answer that the first one and then two would be the choice of most people since most people didn't have it in them to look someone in the eyes in offing them.

Well, with a rifle would be darn easy for me but....being a known shooter, if the detectives had anything to link, they'd be on me in a heart beat. With what I know about hand to hand, the other two could even be a point of pride......but that would leave so much DNA around......

EH! Better decide to get along with them and live and let live! (ie, in the course of this thread, the more you know, the more you realize it's just not worth it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
........Instead, the goal is to teach wanna-be heroes what would happen if they decide to shoot in a crowded room and miss the bad guy. In the words of the instructor of my permit class, "If you don't KNOW where the bullet is going when you pull the trigger, assume it will ALWAYS land in a police evidence bag."
A and B:

A:In one of my CHL classes, the instructor (an ex police Chief among other things) was "yelling" at me when one of my rounds went over the shoulder of the paper man. "What is that?" he asked. I sighed, "Jail.....", but he said, "Now, you have an incident!". At the time, though, I took it that he was responding to me like that because of what he knew me to be in that someone with my caliber isn't suppose to miss.

B: Marksmanship is a perishable skill. While a basic level may always exist.....in another CHL class, it was pointed out that the person who doesn't shoot except at qualification time may face an even more unfavorable court if they end up in one.

Oh, and by the way, just in my humble opinion, it might not be a bad idea to keep shooting logs. I always (or almost always) go to the range with a note book, log my hits, impressions after each bout, but that probably comes from my intelligence office background.

Of course, if one is going to write down something impolite about a certain kind of person they picture they are shooting at, perhaps they shouldn't write anything down at all.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-24-2015 at 02:35 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 05:58 AM

19,940 posts, read 11,072,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Marksmanship is a perishable skill. While a basic level may always exist.....in another CHL class, it was pointed out that the person who doesn't shoot except at qualification time may face an even more unfavorable court if they end up in one.
Yep. Ask any elite-level athlete or musician, and he'll tell you that the body begins to "de-train" in about 3 or 4 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or