Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,965,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
From my observation over the years hearing about or reading about shootings in the news, it seems a large percentage of confrontations that happen could have been avoided just by backing down or not arguing or talking back with the other person? everybody is taught to never back down, dont be afraid, dont let somebody tell you what to do, etc, everybody thinks they are so macho, everybody has to be a tough guy?

since I dont carry a personal defense firearm, I always back down, I never try to be the tough guy, I dont give people the bird, or argue with strangers, this prevents 90% of any type of confrontation or violence, dont butt heads with people and most of the time they will leave you alone.
I've carried a firearm plenty. It never once led me to confront anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 07:58 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,912,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I've carried a firearm plenty. It never once led me to confront anyone.
No big surprise. This is a common (false) argument used by the anti 2A folks. Carrying a firearm will make people just randomly fly off the handle and become aggressive when in fact the exact opposite is true.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:35 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,873,470 times
I also have a CCW. Most of the time I don't carry because, in the small and peaceful town where I live, I don't feel the need. That said, I cannot remember the last time I was in a confrontation either with or without my weapon.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:17 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,464,584 times
Guns are scary M'kay...
People with guns are scary M'kay...

I just LOVE how the anti-gunners project themselves onto legitimate gun owners.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,076,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst 4 View Post
That kind of defeats the whole purpose of owning and carrying all together. If you feel endangered at Chuck E. Cheese's with a bunch of three year olds, I'd recommend carrying your piece with you. Otherwise no street or location is off limits. Are you looking for trouble? Of course not, but you aren't a prisoner in your own home because of it either.
It is taught universally across this country by NRA self defense instructors to try to avoid confrontation the best you can.
No one wants to have to shoot someone. Your self defense firearm is for when you believe your life is in imminent danger.
It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:51 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,666,479 times
Actually, I find that when I carry my firearm (and since I'm so used to it, even when I'm not carrying), I end up avoiding situations that I used to get irritated over.

I used to flip people off on the road and give nasty looks when they would pull up beside me. Now, I just let it go and pretend it never happened. I pretty much lose every argument or altercation (though they rarely, if ever happen).

It's made me a better person.

If everyone carried legally, I think society would be much more polite. Thinking "I've got a gun, he's got a gun, we all have guns" keeps everyone in line.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:55 PM

^^^^ this!

An armed society is a polite society!

I have found the same thing in my own life, when I'm carrying I just don't get as upset about things...the stakes are too high.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
If you feel endangered at Chuck E. Cheese's with a bunch of three year olds, I'd recommend carrying your piece with you. Otherwise no street or location is off limits.
That's quite an ignorant statement...there have been shootings at Chuck E cheeses...disgruntled employee...there have been shootings in restaurants and malls and schools and churches.

To think that it's paranoid to feel the need to be armed in those places is pure ignorance.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
To think that it's paranoid to feel the need to be armed in those places is pure ignorance.
That's pretty much what the anti 2A base their whole platform on, ignorance. Ya gotta watch out for that shoulder thing that goes up, deadly...

Old 06-07-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst 4 View Post
Two ways to look at it. Unless you qualify pistol expert or above, I wouldn't want just any old guy who shoots 50 rounds a year firing in a building full of small children. Even at expert and above levels of proficiency, it's a dangerous move doing so.
Luckily our right to carry isn't based on your wants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting