U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 05:14 PM

479 posts, read 674,314 times

Advertisements

For a first gun, I'd get a .22 semi auto pistol, like a Ruger SR22 to learn how to shoot with. Take a shooting/safety course.

Once you're comfortable using that, then get a Glock 9mm as your self defense weapon:

G17 (full size)
G19 (mid sized)
G26 (compact)

IMO that's all you need. 9mm has adequate stopping power, ammo is affordable and recoil is low so it's easier to shoot accurately. I agree with the last poster - the G19 is probably the best choice, unless you plan to get a concealed carry license, in which case the G26 would be easier to carry.

Last edited by mark85; 06-28-2015 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 07:32 PM

2,494 posts, read 1,852,867 times
If you're squeamish about guns, I'd suggest learning a martial art (boxing, BJJ, muay thai etc.) AND taking lessons for handling firearms. Practice at a range will help you figure out what works best for you.

If someone sneaks in your house but you're not sure where they are, they could easily sneak up on you and attempt to disarm you. Learn how to "lay those hands" on someone before you learn to put bullets in them.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:16 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,442,744 times
My choice would go to 40cal or 45cal rounds. I'd rather prefer 40, as it seems to have more penetration (think bear skull, not some human criminal), but I might be wrong. Anyways, you wouldn't be wrong with either caliber. 9mm is OK too against criminals. You cannot go wrong with a revolver either, but it only has 5-7 rounds loaded at a time... (ought to be enough for any purpose, but more is better, isn't it?)

Then, go to any indoor shooting range where they would give you opportunity to rent their guns and shoot them, and find out for yourself which models you like. Some would be intuitively better for you, more comfortable in your hand, more accurate to shoot, etc, than the others.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:59 AM

56 posts, read 23,612 times
A number of options you can get from an online shopping store along with its feature details. And the gun I like most is Beanfield Sniper. The rifle is heavy with a scope, it is going to weigh 10 pounds or more.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:23 PM

31 posts, read 17,497 times
For everyone recommending a revolver....have you competed against a "wonder 9" lately?

YOU LOSE!!

Old 07-26-2015, 08:19 PM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post
For everyone recommending a revolver....have you competed against a "wonder 9" lately?

YOU LOSE!!
I suspect that if I started shooting first with a shrouded snubby from my coat pocket, I will win. I'm not going into a gunfight playing by competition rules.

Ironically, the first time I heard the term "wonder 9," it was from Jeff Cooper explaining why they always lose to .45 ACP.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I suspect that if I started shooting first with a shrouded snubby from my coat pocket, I will win. I'm not going into a gunfight playing by competition rules.

Ironically, the first time I heard the term "wonder 9," it was from Jeff Cooper explaining why they always lose to .45 ACP.

"Wonder 9"....one of which.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS057lKUtCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbC5mEc6ipE

This is actually a .40 S&W but they make a 9mm the G-26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMEg4y54Dk

You guys can keep your S&W Model 10s and "stuff"....

Old 07-26-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I suggest a Glock 19 (midsize glock 9mm). It's simple to use, reliable, durable, lightweight, and affordable.

The question is really like asking should I get a Toyota, Honda, or Chevy. Any of them will get you from point a to point b, and any of them can wind up in a horrific collision if you are not trained as a driver.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:56 PM

7,649 posts, read 5,404,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I would like to have a gun for protection just in case.
Not to mention there had been a couple of break ins in my neighborhood and Im pretty shocked. I believe its the kids around here, kids bored and have nothing to do and getting in trouble. Anyways

I went to a gun shop for the first time last year because I had a former coworker who had a job at a gun shop. She wanted me to shoot a gun and try some guns out. It terrified me but at the same time was exciting because I was raised that we shouldn't have guns, thats what their religion talk. Also my dad grew up in the hood and saw a lot of gun violence and witnessed a guy right in front of him being shot in the head. So I think that messed him a little bit as well.

I learned a lot though at the gun range. I already knew when it came to shootings its not the gun but the person, however when I was actually shooting a gun it really affected me and have that experience that its definitely the person behind the gun, not the gun its self.

I wish that there were no guns and in a perfect world if you want to fight you do so with your fists and body. However we don't live in that world, so if people are getting a gun for defense, I feel like I should too. There are ALOT of nutjobs out here.

Anyways I would like to carry a gun BUT what kind of gun is really small, easy to handle and isn't loud.

When I was at the gun shop at the gun range my friend brought several guns hand guns rifles and another gun that was VERY intimidating & VERY loud.

What guns are easy to handle and aren't as intense?

I know that guns are loud in general but which type of guns that aren't as loud?
Find a range with intro firearms basic course. Fire whatever they let you tri. You need to find something that you are comfortable with

It took longer the get MrsM's gun than mine. She has arthritis and had a thumb reconstruction. LCR and LCP both stung her hand (mine also)

She had issues racking some pistold.

Settled on a Sig P238. Works wonderful for her without biting her hand, still cant load mags without a mag loader.

My 1st was a Glock 19G4. Perfect weapon to carry.(Plus MrsM can use if needed.Next came a G22G4 LOVE it, but too big to carry. MrsM can shoot if needed, but doesn't like it. Too much snap

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY......Most (all?) ranges will rent one to try

Old 07-29-2015, 03:16 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,386,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post

YOU LOSE!!
Anyone getting into a lot of gun fights..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting