Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Hmm. Context of OP's statements is disturbing, in totality. And some of the replies...ye gods. "Get an AR," indicate several. Others go on about 357 Magnums. Remainder going down rabbit holes about this, that, and the other specific pistol type/caliber. Think I can help summarize: OP wouldn't know combat mindset (engaging in a deadly force confrontation to win) from third base, folks.

Perhaps I'm the only one who took a moment to read the OP's other posts. Lastest indicate "depression and anxiety problems," "intimidation" (by big scary old UPS trainees, apparently), and "on antidepressants due to unemployment." Seriously. How about instead a little judgement and tough love based on experience: a gun is in all probability the last thing this person needs right now. That's an opinion, and worth to OP exactly what it cost him, but it's sincere on my part and I'm all for exercising 2nd Amendment rights...using common sense. Four pages of replies, several quite lucid and rational, and not one response from OP. Hmm. He'd be hugely better served by investing $300 in an iPhone 6 with "911" on speed dial instead. And/or a good pair of Nikes, to RUN the the other way. That's gotten me out of a few jams in life!

I've (legally, often) carried a custom 1911, Commander-size, for years, built to my specs by a 'smith in Colorado. That is what works for me, and it took decades to figure out my personal self defense paradigm in various situations. I've spent twice that much time and money on training across several decades. Mindset and attitude first, combined with training. Pass all that? Then focus on specific tools of the trade.
Good research!!

The best defense (and offense) is what's between your ears. Use it wisely.

I am a revolver guy at heart. I just love them. Take one look side by side with a semiauto and my eyes and hands naturally go to the revolver. The look & feel of cold hammer forged steel is just a beautiful reminder of power and strength that it holds underneath. But if I am going to where I know there is potential trouble, I'll bring my Sig Sauer P229 and a couple extra magazines. 37 rounds of hard-hitting 40 S&W with 180 gr JHP give me a peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 01:25 AM

56 posts, read 34,402 times
You need to start with a shotgun or handgun. It is obvious that choosing a correct ammo you need to have some experience. But this will help you to fire in one single shot from small projectiles.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:35 AM

45 posts, read 46,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I would like to have a gun for protection just in case.
Not to mention there had been a couple of break ins in my neighborhood and Im pretty shocked. I believe its the kids around here, kids bored and have nothing to do and getting in trouble. Anyways

I went to a gun shop for the first time last year because I had a former coworker who had a job at a gun shop. She wanted me to shoot a gun and try some guns out. It terrified me but at the same time was exciting because I was raised that we shouldn't have guns, thats what their religion talk. Also my dad grew up in the hood and saw a lot of gun violence and witnessed a guy right in front of him being shot in the head. So I think that messed him a little bit as well.

I learned a lot though at the gun range. I already knew when it came to shootings its not the gun but the person, however when I was actually shooting a gun it really affected me and have that experience that its definitely the person behind the gun, not the gun its self.

I wish that there were no guns and in a perfect world if you want to fight you do so with your fists and body. However we don't live in that world, so if people are getting a gun for defense, I feel like I should too. There are ALOT of nutjobs out here.

Anyways I would like to carry a gun BUT what kind of gun is really small, easy to handle and isn't loud.

When I was at the gun shop at the gun range my friend brought several guns hand guns rifles and another gun that was VERY intimidating & VERY loud.

What guns are easy to handle and aren't as intense?

I know that guns are loud in general but which type of guns that aren't as loud?
Three questions:

#1-How you gonna carry the gun ?
#2-Are you gonna carry it all the time ?
#3-Do you prefer shooting revolvers or pistols ?

*And also what's your height, weight and are your hands small, medium; large or X large ?
*What climate you live in ?
*Are you using public transportation a lot ?

- Are you gonna by shooting the gun a lot ?
- Do you lift weights often ?
- Do you want a gun that will stop the opponent (kill him) ?

Old 12-09-2015, 02:26 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
The only way to find out is to shoot various weapons.

My advice is to find a local range or instructor that offers a basic firearm's familiarization course. This is what I did with MrsM three years ago (I already knew that I was going to get a gun for home and self protection. I wanted her to at least see what it was like)

I took the class with her even though I have been shooting since I was a kid.

The first time she pulled the trigger she caught the bug. She loved it. Wanted her own gun, which was hard to accomplish. She has arthritis and 2 reconstructed thumbs so we needed something she could handle, fire and rack.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned a Ruger LCR or LCP. Both are so light that the recoil hurt her hand.

We settled on a Sig P238 (380) it's light, racks easy and recoil is minimized by the recoil spring. So, that's her carry gun.

My point is, to find "What type of gun should I get for a first timer?" you need to rent or borrow and listen to a knowledgeable instructor and salesman at a local range and store. Keep trying various guns until you find one that you are comfortable.

She has since joined https://thewellarmedwoman.com/ and shoots 2-3 times a month

She can now handle my Glock 19 and Glock 22 plus my Ruger 1911 Commander

Her hands are still too weak to field strip and clean because of her arthritis. So, guess who has to do all of the gun cleaning? (And, her Sig is a b***h to break down )

Old 12-09-2015, 06:24 PM

45 posts, read 46,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The only way to find out is to shoot various weapons.

My advice is to find a local range or instructor that offers a basic firearm's familiarization course. This is what I did with MrsM three years ago (I already knew that I was going to get a gun for home and self protection. I wanted her to at least see what it was like)

I took the class with her even though I have been shooting since I was a kid.

The first time she pulled the trigger she caught the bug. She loved it. Wanted her own gun, which was hard to accomplish. She has arthritis and 2 reconstructed thumbs so we needed something she could handle, fire and rack.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned a Ruger LCR or LCP. Both are so light that the recoil hurt her hand.

We settled on a Sig P238 (380) it's light, racks easy and recoil is minimized by the recoil spring. So, that's her carry gun.

My point is, to find "What type of gun should I get for a first timer?" you need to rent or borrow and listen to a knowledgeable instructor and salesman at a local range and store. Keep trying various guns until you find one that you are comfortable.

She has since joined https://thewellarmedwoman.com/ and shoots 2-3 times a month

She can now handle my Glock 19 and Glock 22 plus my Ruger 1911 Commander

Her hands are still too weak to field strip and clean because of her arthritis. So, guess who has to do all of the gun cleaning? (And, her Sig is a b***h to break down )

Simple and reliable every time. Perfect gun to carry all day long, for women and people who want a small defense gun. The laser sight makes it easy to for her to see what she will hit. It's really a up to 20 foot range gun, and that's the distance up to which she should be practising with it. http://files.harrispublications.com/...ith-wesson.jpg
With a belt clip, there is no need for bulky holsters. http://cdn3.volusion.com/sfhul.ejqjk...jpg?1420726607

Loaded with Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 SPL+p ammo. It's a powerful little gun.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=108

Other Super duper loads for snub nose revolvers with short barrels simply don't work in the real world. Remember that if you want to know what really the load will do, you have to tested yourself with the barrel length that the gun has. This one works ! Remember that without bullet penetration you have no bullet killing potential in real life. REMEMBER THAT GUNS DON'T KILL...BULLETS DO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting