U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 07:18 PM

285 posts, read 940,048 times

Advertisements

I would like to have a gun for protection just in case.
Not to mention there had been a couple of break ins in my neighborhood and Im pretty shocked. I believe its the kids around here, kids bored and have nothing to do and getting in trouble. Anyways

I went to a gun shop for the first time last year because I had a former coworker who had a job at a gun shop. She wanted me to shoot a gun and try some guns out. It terrified me but at the same time was exciting because I was raised that we shouldn't have guns, thats what their religion talk. Also my dad grew up in the hood and saw a lot of gun violence and witnessed a guy right in front of him being shot in the head. So I think that messed him a little bit as well.

I learned a lot though at the gun range. I already knew when it came to shootings its not the gun but the person, however when I was actually shooting a gun it really affected me and have that experience that its definitely the person behind the gun, not the gun its self.

I wish that there were no guns and in a perfect world if you want to fight you do so with your fists and body. However we don't live in that world, so if people are getting a gun for defense, I feel like I should too. There are ALOT of nutjobs out here.

Anyways I would like to carry a gun BUT what kind of gun is really small, easy to handle and isn't loud.

When I was at the gun shop at the gun range my friend brought several guns hand guns rifles and another gun that was VERY intimidating & VERY loud.

What guns are easy to handle and aren't as intense?

I know that guns are loud in general but which type of guns that aren't as loud?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:22 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,384,329 times
If you NEED to defend yourself LOUD is the least of your worries. .38 revolvers are almost fool proof, I like the Ruger LCR. http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html?r=y

Old 06-23-2015, 10:34 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,185,983 times
I would go .357 and use .38 rounds. Revolvers are Generally fool proof. My .357 has never misfired. Can't say that about my semi auto.

Go to a gun range and shoot a lot of guns. Then shoot again with 3-4 your decide you like. That's how I ended up with a .357. Wife can shoot it, can shoot .38, and when I want ".357 man stopper type rounds"

Here's the important thing. Only buy and shoot what feels really good in your hand.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:38 AM

793 posts, read 1,061,488 times
Get a mid size 9mm.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:46 PM

1,408 posts, read 699,315 times
First and foremost you would need to obey whatever laws are relevant for your state. That being said, next you will need to pick up a firearm that fits your hand. That is the most important part, if it does not fit in your hand properly than you will have a hard time shooting it, it could be too big, or too small. Like as for me I have large hands, so really small firearms I have a hard time holding. But the large one not so much.

Once you find a firearm that fits your hand, then you need to determine a price range you are looking to spend. Firearms can range from $300 dollars - several thousand dollars.

After you find a firearm that fits your hand, and perhaps your price range, go to some ranges and shoot some of your selections.

Once you have choose one, than practice allot; with your new purchase; and good luck.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:24 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Two issues: owning, and carrying. Owning a personal defense firearm is easy in all but a few states. Carrying, however... that can get tricky. Do you really live in Beverly Hills, or is that zip code a joke? If so, about the only way to get a carry permit would be to apply from a hospital bed after getting beaten to a bloody pulp.

As for WHICH gun, rigby nailed it. You have a friend who works in a gun shop so USE that resource. Try all types of guns and get one that fits you.

If it fits, froglipz named what is (IMO) the best beginner self-defense handgun. The Ruger LCR is small, lightweight, and simple. If you can't handle the recoil from .38Special then consider the .22WMR (called the .22 Magnum).

ALWAYS WEAR HEARING PROTECTION while practicing. As mentioned, if your life is truly in danger the noise won't bother you when you have to use it in self defense.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:49 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,345,713 times
I second the vote for a 357 revolver. Get a good short barreled hammerless revolver like the Ruger LCR or Taurus CIA. With the 357 you can use the 38 special ammo which has less recoil and is a lot easier to control. 38 special ammo will fit into most all 357 cal guns but never try putting 357 in a 38.

I suggest getting the 357 instead of a 38 because they generally have more weight to them which helps recoil also. Plus if you ever want to step up to a bigger round then you can just go buy some 357 rounds and not a whole new gun.

You should go put your hands on several models and see which ones feel best and which have the best trigger feel for you. Remember that lighter means more recoil but you don't want a gun so heavy you cannot comfortably hold it up and aim it.

Since your just starting out I would also recommend getting someone that knows what their doing or paying for some lessons on how to shoot properly. Its like a golf swing, you don't have any bad habits to break so doing it the right way will help you.

Also take time to practice with it, practice firing, then practice drawing and firing (slow draw, not the old west quick draw). If you are carrying make sure you practice drawing from wherever you carry it. If its staying at home, then empty it and practice drawing (from where its kept) and aiming it. Think about the likely situations you gonna be using it, example getting out of bed and drawing it. May sound silly but the more you get practice with it the more natural and automatic it becomes, you won't even have to think about it, that way when the time comes your full concentration is on the situation that made you draw.

Oh and always, always wear hearing protection.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:25 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,310,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
Not to mention there had been a couple of break ins in my neighborhood and Im pretty shocked. I believe its the kids around here, kids bored and have nothing to do and getting in trouble. Anyways

I went to a gun shop for the first time last year because I had a former coworker who had a job at a gun shop. She wanted me to shoot a gun and try some guns out. It terrified me but at the same time was exciting because I was raised that we shouldn't have guns, thats what their religion talk. Also my dad grew up in the hood and saw a lot of gun violence and witnessed a guy right in front of him being shot in the head. So I think that messed him a little bit as well.

I learned a lot though at the gun range. I already knew when it came to shootings its not the gun but the person, however when I was actually shooting a gun it really affected me and have that experience that its definitely the person behind the gun, not the gun its self.

I wish that there were no guns and in a perfect world if you want to fight you do so with your fists and body. However we don't live in that world, so if people are getting a gun for defense, I feel like I should too. There are ALOT of nutjobs out here.

Anyways I would like to carry a gun BUT what kind of gun is really small, easy to handle and isn't loud.

When I was at the gun shop at the gun range my friend brought several guns hand guns rifles and another gun that was VERY intimidating & VERY loud.

I know that guns are loud in general but which type of guns that aren't as loud?
LOL, that gun doesn't exist....

Kind of reminds of that old saying about people who want it good, fast and cheap. You can have it good, but it won't be fast or cheap. You can have it cheap and fast, but it won't be good, etc.

Likewise, everything with guns is a trade off.... The smaller it is, the harder it's going to be to handle. Usually smaller guns are louder too. Just forget the loud deal. Wear ear plugs when practicing, because any gun that's worthy of self defense use is going to be loud.

No such thing as the perfect gun. You want smaller, lighter gun? It's gonna be easier to carry, but harder to handle. You want a heavier, larger gun? It'll be a lot easier to handle, but a lot harder to carry.... You got to find the gun that hits all the sweet spots for you.

Or you could just throw your hands in the air and get a .22LR revolver. It's small, easy to handle, easy to carry, but is a small caliber and less useful for defensive purposes, but better than nothing if you need it though.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:58 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,392,839 times
If unfamiliar with firearms, start with a .22 revolver. Cheap, easy to shoot, good way to get into shooting. You get more comfortable with a firearm, elevate to a S&W revolver. A simple one that can fire .38 Special/.357 rounds is easy to fire, will fit most hands. Wife loves her S&W.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:36 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,006,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post

All guns are "loud" Some are just louder than others. The most quiet is a .22 and believe it or not, loaded properly is very effective. You mentioned you would like to carry. If you are looking for one gun, this will be a never ending saga.

Much like tools, guns are no exceptions. You don't have one wrench and rightfully so. One tool does not fit all jobs. Soooo, in this regard, what may be great for home is not so great for a car and vice versa predicated on your ability to use each effectively.

IF you are looking for a one gun fits all, there are a few calibers that GENERALLY are considered in this realm. .38 and 9mm. Both are relatively reasonable to "source" Ammo for the 9mm is pretty cheap compared to others and not too bad for the .38. Both are manageable for the majority of gun owners out there. Both can be concealed readily with the right models. Both can be used at home as well.

With all of that, think of the following as well:

.38 leanings...it's a revolver. Uber easy to shoot, clean and maintain. Nothing to rack or pull, no external safeties to manipulate. Effective.

Spouse? Will she be using it or want one?
Are you large or small in frame?
Are you recoil sensitive?
Can you handle the recoil of a snubnose, it's not generally pleasant.

With the .38 snubbie you can do everything you briefly mentioned. It's good at home, in the car, and concealed carry. It generally is 5 shots (Smith and Wesson J frames) and can usually put out a +P loaded round which is "snappy" and not real pleasant to shoot but, at distances of 5 yards or less, effective. Hard for most to be accurate after that.

.380 crowd.......semi-auto...forgot to mention earlier. These proliferating like cancer. Why? Because they do everything you are looking for cheaply and fairly reliably key word being fairly. There are a number of high-quality, low/moderate cost .380's out there that are not that loud, pretty effective, and very easily concealed. Oddly enough, out of the 13 pistols I own, I carry this the most because at work I have to be very, very discrete. It's not the best choice but, it will work fine if you practice. Most hold 6 rounds plus one in the "pipe"/chamber. Only down side is you have to keep them very clean and lubricated and for some, they are hard to chamber a round. The smallest ones are incredibly easy to conceal and thus, popular. Never advertise you are carrying. Bad form and not real smart legally. Why take a chance of a civil confrontation?

Choices abound. Tarus TCP380 (tiny and despite most folks thinking, an excellent choice and incredibly cheap), Ruger LCP, Sig Sauer 938, Ruger LC380, Bersa (yes, Bersa, great gun), Browning, Beretta, Colt, and others make very small, effective and inexpensive .380's that work. Glock has even come out with an excellent rendition the Glock 42 although the Glock 43 (Single stack 9mm) is now out too. This model 42 is just the right size for many, many hands. You can get 3 fingers on the grip something the smaller ones struggle with. What you trade off in size for concealibility you give back in recoil harshness and control. Just remember, these aren't target guns. They are meant to protect you at very short distances. Belly guns as some may call them.

9mm
Easier or equal to handle as the .38 depending on gun size. Most popular now are the single stack 9mm's due to concealability needs and adequate fire power (Read: caliber effectiveness). The 9mm is considerably more potent than the .380 but, in the very light frames kicks a bit harder. Still, you can put out adequate fire power in a diminutive package. Ruger's LC9-S, Kel-Tec PF9, Sig's 9, and on and on and on and on and on are ALL effective. Any of the larger ones make it a bit more to conceal.

I carry a small .380 when I am going into buildings but, keep a full frame 9mm in the glovebox. Simply stated, if I leave the car I take the .380 but, God forbid, I would reach for the 9mm full frame with 16 rounds of hollow points at the ready if I'm in the car and had the ability to reach it. Good enough. Total cost? About $600 total for both. Is your life worth $600? I'd like to think mine is although....

Anyway, you get the idea. Any of the aforementioned 3 calibers won't deafen you, have adequate stopping power, recoil that is manageable, and can be carried in all 3 venues. Great for starters and you can go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting