U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
The only part of this thread I don't understand is anyone's reluctance to lie.

If someone asks me a personal question... A question that I don't feel is appropriate...I lie.

It's easy, it's simple, and it provides the person asking the question with an answer.

Allow me to ask you this...

How would you respond if a doctor asked you how much money you have saved, or to list all web sites on the internet you have been to?

How about your political feelings.

Certainly all questions, but not necessarily germane, to treating my sore throat.

They ask... I lie...and life moves on.
Well, just for some of us, there is a big problem about lying on a piece of paper that we then sign our name to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:42 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, just for some of us, there is a big problem about lying on a piece of paper that we then sign our name to.
People lie to Doctors all the time. How many drinks do you have a day. Do you smoke. Do you exercise.

It's no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:56 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,631,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Most of my firearms are recorded in a federal database. Lying about it would be rather senseless for me, personally.
Not sure where you live but I know no one that has federally registered firearms.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:20 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,187,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'm looking at getting a new doctor and would not be surprised if that question came up.

Normally, the answer is "none of your business" or, more severely, "That is a matter of internal security and not opened for discussion.".

But as I get on in years, I am beginning to seriously consider that the years of firing heavier calibers such as .45 and .308, using double stack, and treating life as rough & tumble, ie judo and maybe even scuba back roll entries, has taken its toll. So that I am a shooter is probably needed for the diagnosis.

So if asked that question, I am thinking of saying, "I won't answer that because it is none of your business; however, since it may assist your diagnosis, I am a shooter.".

But....is there another answer?
I always remember the Ergonomics survey in my office. Sometimes my back hurt a little and so out of sixteen page survey the Doctor picked the once a month sporting clays afternoon as the source of any back problems I might have. Sitting in a really uncomfortable office chair nine hours a day had nothing to do with it. Since then I've have never mentioned anything about firearms to any medical personnel or company bureaucrats.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:26 AM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
This discussion is ludicrous.
Few docs will ever ask and none care.
Just part of more bureaucratic paperwork bullpucky checklists adding to the crap giant pile already there.

You can calm your ****.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 AM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People lie to Doctors all the time. How many drinks do you have a day. Do you smoke. Do you exercise.

It's no big deal as far as I'm concerned.
Other people do it as an excuse for doing the wrong thing or lying as always smacked of cowardice and lazy morality to me.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:26 PM

156 posts, read 113,575 times
None of his damn business. Don't ask me about my guns and I wont ask you about your genitalia.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:30 PM

22 posts, read 11,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Not sure where you live but I know no one that has federally registered firearms.
If you filled out a 4473 and had a FBI NICS background check....you can bet there is. Do you think they throw those away? Nope...when the FFL goes out of business or applies for a new license under a new business name (ie bankrupt, quit for 5 years and started back up etc) he is required to send all his 4473s into the BATF.

For me, there is no point lying....I just fit the profile and look the textbook physical type. They already know I do and they wouldn't believe me if I told them any different.

Yes, I have firearms and a house full of "weapons".....period!

Old 07-07-2015, 06:58 AM

5,933 posts, read 8,496,020 times
Because it's none of his business, and there's no valid reason for him to inquire. My cardiologist knows I carry - because he saw it when I had to lift my shirt for him. All he wanted to know was where I got it (STI Elektra). My next visit, he showed me the one he got, along with the same paddle holster I use.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:47 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,631,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OD GUY 45 View Post
If you filled out a 4473 and had a FBI NICS background check....you can bet there is. Do you think they throw those away? Nope...when the FFL goes out of business or applies for a new license under a new business name (ie bankrupt, quit for 5 years and started back up etc) he is required to send all his 4473s into the BATF.

For me, there is no point lying....I just fit the profile and look the textbook physical type. They already know I do and they wouldn't believe me if I told them any different.

Yes, I have firearms and a house full of "weapons".....period!
By law NICS check info is to be destroyed after 90 days. I don't trust that our government is law abiding.
That being said, the NICS info is far from federal registration since firearms are sold on the secondary market, and there is no paperwork. I've bought and sold many guns in private transactions. Hell I don't even know if I have any firearms that were originally purchased through an FFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting