U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:34 AM

8,863 posts, read 4,829,530 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at getting a new doctor and would not be surprised if that question came up.

Normally, the answer is "none of your business" or, more severely, "That is a matter of internal security and not opened for discussion.".

But as I get on in years, I am beginning to seriously consider that the years of firing heavier calibers such as .45 and .308, using double stack, and treating life as rough & tumble, ie judo and maybe even scuba back roll entries, has taken its toll. So that I am a shooter is probably needed for the diagnosis.

So if asked that question, I am thinking of saying, "I won't answer that because it is none of your business; however, since it may assist your diagnosis, I am a shooter.".

But....is there another answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 05:13 AM

10,683 posts, read 17,029,057 times
The answer is always no. None of your business is the same as saying yes.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:04 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,613,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'm looking at getting a new doctor and would not be surprised if that question came up.

Normally, the answer is "none of your business" or, more severely, "That is a matter of internal security and not opened for discussion.".

But as I get on in years, I am beginning to seriously consider that the years of firing heavier calibers such as .45 and .308, using double stack, and treating life as rough & tumble, ie judo and maybe even scuba back roll entries, has taken its toll. So that I am a shooter is probably needed for the diagnosis.

So if asked that question, I am thinking of saying, "I won't answer that because it is none of your business; however, since it may assist your diagnosis, I am a shooter.".

I always just say "Yes". What do I care? I have so much junk registered with the /gov that they don't need to pull my medical records to see that I own a firearm or two.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:39 AM

8,990 posts, read 7,083,311 times
"Sorry, that is classified information, and YOU do not have a "need to know" "!

Old 06-25-2015, 07:21 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,678,723 times
I answer "yes".
- I don't lie in general, and as TS said the information could be useful in making a difficult diagnosis.
- The government knows I have guns. I participate in gun discussion forums, have a carry permit (class, background check, fingerprints, paperwork), I get firearm hunting licenses each year, and I work with critical national infrastructure and routinely go through background checks. Actually, one of my client's access cards is up for renewal and I'm going to have to start the background check process and get my fingerprints taken (again) next week.
- There is a huge difference in knowing I own guns and knowing exactly how many along with the make, model, and serial number of each. That is no one's business but mine.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I answer "yes".
- I don't lie in general, and as TS said the information could be useful in making a difficult diagnosis.
- The government knows I have guns. I participate in gun discussion forums, have a carry permit (class, background check, fingerprints, paperwork), I get firearm hunting licenses each year, and I work with critical national infrastructure and routinely go through background checks. Actually, one of my client's access cards is up for renewal and I'm going to have to start the background check process and get my fingerprints taken (again) next week.
- There is a huge difference in knowing I own guns and knowing exactly how many along with the make, model, and serial number of each. That is no one's business but mine.
Maybe it's because I live in the south, but most physicians either carry, or are pro-gun. I work at a hospital, and have done so for 5+ years, as a background to my opinion.

That said, what would you owning a firearm diagnose?

-Neurological/fertility disorders (lots of shooting at an indoor range/blood lead levels)
-Peripheral neuropathy disorders (heavy recoiling handguns over a long period of time, rifles as well possibly. Elmer Keith suffered from this, as a historical tid-bit)
-Various other disorders such as detached retina, maybe? That's kindof going out on a limb, and causation is typically not used to diagnose it as much as visualization of the retina tear itself...but...?

Realistically, there aren't very many diagnosis that this will help with. The main push for physicians to get "into your home life" is to build statistics, and to create a cause/effect/risk factor association from the data, as well as for later reference in legal as well as mental health issues. For example, if you go to your PCP one fine day to check out some lower back pain, and you say "Yes" to the "Do you have firearms"? All is well. Until that day when you check into the ER intoxicated and suicidal because your wife left you. Then, that information can come into play and you will find yourself on a 72 hour PCC, potentially due to your questionnaire, but realistically, that is standard for ANY actively suicidal patient, so...?

Regardless, the "It's used to make difficult diagnosis" is not what I consider the main reason.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:17 PM

8,863 posts, read 4,829,530 times
Well, a thing is, diagnosis wise (in my humble amateur opinion) is that shooting does not necessarily meaning owning. Ie, I have certainly fired enough M14's in my life.....but I have never owned one. The last gun I fired, a 1911, wasn't mine.

Things like that.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:49 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,396,537 times
Unless I shoot myself, none of the docs business. Tat is because this stuff now ends up in electronic docs available to, among others, the government.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:55 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,389,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

In Florida it is ILLEGAL for a doctor to even ask!
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/flor...-appeals-court

Old 06-26-2015, 02:30 AM

I guess my question here, is that unless your weapons are unregistered, or you have zero that are, what's the big sticking point? The /gov already knows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting