U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:33 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,145,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
with gun
Well duh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 10:42 AM

2,774 posts, read 3,683,653 times
Unless the other guy dies and there are no other witnesses, there will always be two sides to the story. Even if he does die it's your version against the physical evidence.

Even if you are 100% in the right and the other guy was a kidnapper trying to run you off the road, he can always lie to the police. Then it's your word against his, or your word against evidence that looks like a guy pulled over to take a leak and you ran him down while distracted.

Sometimes he doesn't even have to lie... did you cut him off a few miles back? Did he cut you off and you flip him off in response? If this is a two-way road rage incident and you shoot him, you're potentially going to jail even if he is the one who escalated it to the point of getting out of vehicles.

Real Life Situation: Affidavit reveals witness account of road rage shooting in Chatt - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports
Man (firearm instructor) pulls out in front of someone else (personal trainer) who has to swerve. They stop at the next light, and the personal trainer gets out of his car and aggressively walks around the other car toward the driver's door. When he gets there the driver opens fire through the door, then drives off. The personal trainer dies on the scene; the firearm instructor is arrested and charged with murder. He's old and suffering from major health problems, though, and he dies before trial. Multiple witnesses around, including the dead guy's wife, who of course said her husband was just going to check to see if the other guy was OK.

First thing after calling 911 is to switch your phone over (while line is still open) and start recording video. If you don't have a smart phone then you really need to join the 21st century.

Otherwise, do exactly as JWG223 said. When he gets out, wait until he's a long way from his car then gun it.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:09 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,159,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Here's a hypothetical situation, you're on a highway, aggressively pursued by another car (not just someone to drive behind you, but rather someone trying to stop you by driving in front of you and suddenly hitting breaks, also trying to swipe you off the road and maybe demanding to stop). What would be best defense tactic for such situation, assuming you've got a firearm with you? Obviously, step no 1 would be to call 911, but what then?

1) Try to run away? But that creates additional risks of a car accident.

2) Get to a curb, prepare the gun (but keep it hidden) and wait until someone breaks your glass, then shoot with all the justification you've got?

3) Get to the curb, pull the gun out, get out of the car and get behind its front (where motor is), ready to shoot if attacker tries to approach you?

If the person approaches you and you feel you are in imminent danger, you have the right to protect yourself.
You can show your weapon and they will probably back off if they are not armed and if they attempt to show a weapon do what you think is best, either surrender to the person or shoot them. I choose the latter.

If you choose to have a weapon in our car then use it or leave it home and take your chances.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:49 PM

9,844 posts, read 7,133,639 times
How many of us carry a firearm with us all the time? I suppose it depends on where you live but my vote would be DO NOT get out of the car.
You never know what kind of lunatic idiot is trying to run you off the road and why, or what his intentions are, what he is under the influence of, or what he has for a weapon.

I would try and keep my distance from him considering most people are not good shots. Try to get his antics on video including the license plate then bring it to the cops.

Shooting anyone is never a good idea even if you are in the right and causing a crash by trying to get away is also not good.

If you are forced over wait until he is out of his car then drive away.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:29 PM

360 posts, read 433,424 times
I seldom carry but #2 sounds the best. If you don't have a firearm, let them get out of their vehicle, then run them right over!!
Wait for the Police and tell the truth

Last edited by cvap; 07-01-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 03:20 PM

5,920 posts, read 10,459,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
It depends. I will go with your presumptions, though.

1) The perp has a faster or more agile vehicle or better driving skillset than you do. Why do we know this? Because they pursued aggressively and ended up in front of you. So you or your vehicle or both are inferior. You won't succeed in running, is what I'm getting at.

2) You cannot engage them at this point legally unless they have swerved at you or attempted to run you off the road, or otherwise. Why? They MAY just be trying to tell you your gas-cap is open/something flew out of your trunk (I had to do this once when something flew out of a truck at night and did $1500 damage to my vehicle.). Point is, YOU DO NOT YET KNOW what harm they do/don't intend, unless they have actually assaulted you with their vehicle at this point.

3) If you pull over (since you aren't going to be getting away...), 1 of 3 things will happen:

A-They will drive way.
B-They will assault you from inside their vehicle/with their vehicle.
C-They will un-ass their vehicle and approach you, at which point they may/may not be armed, may/may not be looking to do you harm.

A: Problem solved. Go on your way.
B: Engage them. Use common sense. Auto glass and autobodies do unpredictable things to bullets. Use P for Plenty. I think if they tried to engage me from within their vehicle, I would return fire and try to flee. Moving target/driving/ducking while being shot at is going to drive their success rate of hitting you WAY down, not to mention your vehicle deflecting bullets (yours and theirs...poke a hole, keep poking!)
C: Measure their intent. Are they armed? Etc. Regardless, they are not IN their vehicle...this means you have an instant head-start. Make use of it. Also don't forget, they are a soft squishy thing, and you have roughly 2 tonnes of aluminum, fiberglass, and steel. Run the bastard down if they are threatening your life and you cannot flee without doing so!

Always keep that in mind. That car is several tons of machine. People are just soft and squishy. Auto glass and body panels are more bullet RESISTANT than are T-shirts and jackets of the non-ballistic variety. Use these concepts to your advantage. Get some professional training with engaging in and around automobiles. It opened my eyes to a lot of things.
#1 as you've posted it is almost always incorrect.

You *can* get away in a slower vehicle.

Google Alexian Lien.

It took a massive traffic jam & a hoard of bikers to stop him - and even then, he could have run a few more over to continue moving. Hindsight is always 20/20, but if he hadn't run up on the car ahead of him, he could have used the sidewalk to continue rolling. He could have backed into his pursuers & created more space to manuver. He nearly got beaten to death because he stopped moving.

Until your car is completely disabled, you should use it.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:42 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,617,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
#1 as you've posted it is almost always incorrect.

You *can* get away in a slower vehicle.

Google Alexian Lien.

It took a massive traffic jam & a hoard of bikers to stop him - and even then, he could have run a few more over to continue moving. Hindsight is always 20/20, but if he hadn't run up on the car ahead of him, he could have used the sidewalk to continue rolling. He could have backed into his pursuers & created more space to manuver. He nearly got beaten to death because he stopped moving.

Until your car is completely disabled, you should use it.

It has to do with skillset and other factors as well, but I agree, until the guns come out, the vehicle is in play as long as it's rolling even somewhat decently. When the guns come out, it's up to you to decide whether or not the vehicle is a fortress or a coffin. I would prefer to un-ass the vehicle in some situations (It's disabled, for one), and use it as cover. That said, 99% of the time, "STAY IN THE VEHICLE" is going to be the right answer.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:05 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,887,155 times
IMO, there are some serious nut cases out there, and the best thing is always to attempt to disengage in any way possible and continue to attempt to do so without jeopardizing yourself or especially getting cornered and becoming a sitting duck. I guess it really depends on where everything ends up. At some point you may not be able to disengage anymore, so the strategy would have to change at that point, which could end up in a number of ways.

I would personally never get out of the car until it was disabled or on fire unless there was an opportunity to get away on foot without risking being killed one way or another. Cars can take what people can't... And they're easily replaced.

I would likely also never take a fixed position anywhere outside the vehicle unless all other options had been totally exhausted, including the ability to jump a center jersey barrier to take the aggressor's car out of the equation, running into a forest along the highway, taking off into a residential neighborhood, or any other way to keep moving and putting distance and obstacles between me and aggressor.

Also, getting away on foot probably depends on your physical condition, the local surroundings, how well you can maneuver through different terrain, and your make on the aggressor's ability to do the same, providing that the aggressor is able to follow. Someone who isn't very mobile may not have much of a choice, but someone who is in top physical condition may do the equivalent of walking away while the other person watches out of breath.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:40 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,617,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
imo, there are some serious nut cases out there, and the best thing is always to attempt to disengage in any way possible and continue to attempt to do so without jeopardizing yourself or especially getting cornered and becoming a sitting duck. I guess it really depends on where everything ends up. At some point you may not be able to disengage anymore, so the strategy would have to change at that point, which could end up in a number of ways.

I would personally never get out of the car until it was disabled or on fire unless there was an opportunity to get away on foot without risking being killed one way or another. Cars can take what people can't... And they're easily replaced.

I would likely also never take a fixed position anywhere outside the vehicle unless all other options had been totally exhausted, including the ability to jump a center jersey barrier to take the aggressor's car out of the equation, running into a forest along the highway, taking off into a residential neighborhood, or any other way to keep moving and putting distance and obstacles between me and aggressor.

Also, getting away on foot probably depends on your physical condition, the local surroundings, how well you can maneuver through different terrain, and your make on the aggressor's ability to do the same, providing that the aggressor is able to follow. Someone who isn't very mobile may not have much of a choice, but someone who is in top physical condition may do the equivalent of walking away while the other person watches out of breath.

+1

Old 07-02-2015, 12:32 PM

805 posts, read 731,919 times
everyone wants to go faster. I find it better to drive slower it really confuses the purser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting