Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 04:12 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times

Advertisements

Here's a hypothetical situation, you're on a highway, aggressively pursued by another car (not just someone to drive behind you, but rather someone trying to stop you by driving in front of you and suddenly hitting breaks, also trying to swipe you off the road and maybe demanding to stop). What would be best defense tactic for such situation, assuming you've got a firearm with you? Obviously, step no 1 would be to call 911, but what then?

1) Try to run away? But that creates additional risks of a car accident.

2) Get to a curb, prepare the gun (but keep it hidden) and wait until someone breaks your glass, then shoot with all the justification you've got?

3) Get to the curb, pull the gun out, get out of the car and get behind its front (where motor is), ready to shoot if attacker tries to approach you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 05:29 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
He's not in a
semi like this is he?

Old 06-30-2015, 05:31 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Here's a hypothetical situation, you're on a highway, aggressively pursued by another car (not just someone to drive behind you, but rather someone trying to stop you by driving in front of you and suddenly hitting breaks, also trying to swipe you off the road
You've already met the self-defense criteria I would imagine.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
I actually had someone try that once - whipped in front of me, jammed on the brakes.. i let him get out of his car, then gunned it in reverse.. at a safe distance, I spun the car around & took off.. he caught up with me, passed me, and stopped again.. i waited for his door to open a touch, then popped up over someone's lawn & took off again.. In my situation, I don't think the guy was armed.. if I would have seen a gun, I'd likely just have splattered him with my car. It really takes three or four cars to stop one, if you think about it. Even a "pit" manuver doesn't work if the car in front stays on the throttle.

I wouldn't stop or get out of my car until it absolutely wouldn't move anymore. Then we'd worry about firearms.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:26 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
You didn't hypothesize the environment. Are we just out in the desert somewhere? Is it possible to stop at a business or even at a farmhouse? Although the farmer might not let you into his house, you can probably get him to let you park a bit while you call the police or make another move with a witness present.

Or if there is anyone else on the road, pace that person until you get somewhere else.

The main thing is to have a witness, because unless he comes out of his vehicle with a weapon, you can't stop and just shoot at him. The forensics of that situation probably won't be in your favor.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:45 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Try to evade the situation. Put distance between you two.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
I've seen a description of this situation which actually happened in another forum here at citydata.

I understand that my initial desire would be to let them go or outpace them... But the guy in that situation couldn't just do that, and probably I wouldn't be able as well.

And for the sake of argument, I would say that it's a highway and there's no where to go (other than 2 lanes and a curb).

Old 06-30-2015, 09:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Here's a hypothetical situation, you're on a highway, aggressively pursued by another car (not just someone to drive behind you, but rather someone trying to stop you by driving in front of you and suddenly hitting breaks, also trying to swipe you off the road and maybe demanding to stop). What would be best defense tactic for such situation, assuming you've got a firearm with you? Obviously, step no 1 would be to call 911, but what then?

1) Try to run away? But that creates additional risks of a car accident.

2) Get to a curb, prepare the gun (but keep it hidden) and wait until someone breaks your glass, then shoot with all the justification you've got?

3) Get to the curb, pull the gun out, get out of the car and get behind its front (where motor is), ready to shoot if attacker tries to approach you?

It depends. I will go with your presumptions, though.

1) The perp has a faster or more agile vehicle or better driving skillset than you do. Why do we know this? Because they pursued aggressively and ended up in front of you. So you or your vehicle or both are inferior. You won't succeed in running, is what I'm getting at.

2) You cannot engage them at this point legally unless they have swerved at you or attempted to run you off the road, or otherwise. Why? They MAY just be trying to tell you your gas-cap is open/something flew out of your trunk (I had to do this once when something flew out of a truck at night and did $1500 damage to my vehicle.). Point is, YOU DO NOT YET KNOW what harm they do/don't intend, unless they have actually assaulted you with their vehicle at this point.

3) If you pull over (since you aren't going to be getting away...), 1 of 3 things will happen:

A-They will drive way.
B-They will assault you from inside their vehicle/with their vehicle.
C-They will un-ass their vehicle and approach you, at which point they may/may not be armed, may/may not be looking to do you harm.

A: Problem solved. Go on your way.
B: Engage them. Use common sense. Auto glass and autobodies do unpredictable things to bullets. Use P for Plenty. I think if they tried to engage me from within their vehicle, I would return fire and try to flee. Moving target/driving/ducking while being shot at is going to drive their success rate of hitting you WAY down, not to mention your vehicle deflecting bullets (yours and theirs...poke a hole, keep poking!)
C: Measure their intent. Are they armed? Etc. Regardless, they are not IN their vehicle...this means you have an instant head-start. Make use of it. Also don't forget, they are a soft squishy thing, and you have roughly 2 tonnes of aluminum, fiberglass, and steel. Run the bastard down if they are threatening your life and you cannot flee without doing so!

Always keep that in mind. That car is several tons of machine. People are just soft and squishy. Auto glass and body panels are more bullet RESISTANT than are T-shirts and jackets of the non-ballistic variety. Use these concepts to your advantage. Get some professional training with engaging in and around automobiles. It opened my eyes to a lot of things.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:33 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Always stay in vehicle.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:42 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Always stay in vehicle.
with gun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting