Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:46 PM

19,751 posts, read 22,661,296 times

Advertisements

I would try to take a photo and get a good description of the perp and then call our sherriffs dept. I'm not going to put myself into a situation that could threaten my life over my car or objects found within it, plus the legality gets pretty fuzzy.

HOWEVER...

When I lived in WV I had a constant issue with trespassers on 'community property' across from mine, starting bonfires, playing loud music etc.. They moved it to my property one night- cause I had about 10 cords of firewood stacked and a nice picnic table. Of course I took a shotgun and a sidearm. And I was pretty p*ssed to see my picnic table burning in a bonfire. I asked them no so politely to leave, one of the neck tatood punk threatened me and took a motion at me- I racked the action shut. Ended that little party.

Last edited by Threerun; 07-02-2015 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 03:36 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Call 911.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:47 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Call 911.
Nah, just send them a postcard.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:54 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
If my truck alarm is going off I'm packing when I'm heading out the door. I don't care who sues who. There is rampant blaming the victim now and it's pathetic. I call the cops and they will get there 3 hours later to file a report.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:03 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
While it is legal here in Texas to use deadly force to prevent theft of your property, you best be sure it is absolutely necessary..... and be prepared to live with the mental consequences if you are a sensitive person.

Outside the house with the perp being frightened off & running away, I wouldn't shoot at him, but would give a warning shot to speed him on his way.

Outside the house if said perp is aggressive towards me or anyone else, then he's DRT. Inside the house, he's DRT ASAP, his demeanor being determined after he assumes room temperature.

But to repeat, if you are a sensitive type, then be prepared for the after action stress disorder.

If you are not particularly bothered by dispatching a scumbag to his just reward, then have a beer after the dust settles.
Be careful, within the city limits this carries a potential fine of at least a few hundred bucks. You will be cited for discharge of a firearm within city limits, and by your own admission cannot justify shooting as "the perp was running away". Sure, you have your logic, but you've done 2 things...1, told the perp you have a firearm that can now be stolen while you are away, and 2, gotten yourself a fine (potentially).

Old 07-03-2015, 04:40 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
As much as I want to say that I would stay inside and observe, I know the type of person that I am. I'd confront them, no sense in "lying" which any other answer would be. Besides, the incident would probably result in 3-4 hours minimum of police interaction, which for me means overtime!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:08 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
As much as I want to say that I would stay inside and observe, I know the type of person that I am. I'd confront them, no sense in "lying" which any other answer would be. Besides, the incident would probably result in 3-4 hours minimum of police interaction, which for me means overtime!
It would be really tough to just sit there and watch breaking into your vehicle doing damage when the police are far away. The few times we have called 911 on issues they got to us in about 10 minutes. My hope is I can get the police close enough to catch these guys. Most of the people I know who had a similar situation they catch them a few blocks away. The video evidence will be very helpful.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:54 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Be careful, within the city limits this carries a potential fine of at least a few hundred bucks. You will be cited for discharge of a firearm within city limits, and by your own admission cannot justify shooting as "the perp was running away". Sure, you have your logic, but you've done 2 things...1, told the perp you have a firearm that can now be stolen while you are away, and 2, gotten yourself a fine (potentially).
I don't live in the city limits. And most everybody in the area has guns.

A fine for shooting at a criminal in Williamson County? lol
Only if I missed him.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:36 PM

22 posts, read 16,595 times
Confront them face to face and physically assault/subdue them with brute force.

If that didn't work or they didn't leave I would shoot/stab them.

I'll call 911 later....

Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
This scenario is a good time for non lethal tools, mace, etc. You can in AZ, stop a property crime like that with physical force.

Oh, oh, macing the guy made him REALLY mad. He takes a swing at you with a screwdriver/deadly weapon.

Now he's escalated to Aggravated Assault and presents an immediate threat of deadly physical force.

See how this works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting