Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:24 PM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times

Advertisements

I have had a rash of vehicle's being broken into this year 2 times since January a car down the street was robbed of it's things from a trunk. I installed 4 security cameras and software with extra IR flood lights and sounds an alarm on my computer when someone enters my property which will wake me up. The cameras are not easy to see so they won't be able to see them very well just be a matter of time before they try again. The question I just thought about was what should I do? I live in AZ while we are allowed to threaten deadly force to protect property it doesn't allow you to actually shoot someone unless they are attacking you or someone else. This is way different then someone that you confront inside your home even in the most liberal states no one is prosecuted for shooting home invaders. I'm not sure if I even want to go out there and confront who ever it is. Obviously I will call the police but who knows if there response time will be fast enough. My thoughts are it's not worth the possible trouble I could get into going out there and confronting someone with a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 08:50 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have had a rash of vehicle's being broken into this year 2 times since January a car down the street was robbed of it's things from a trunk. I installed 4 security cameras and software with extra IR flood lights and sounds an alarm on my computer when someone enters my property which will wake me up. The cameras are not easy to see so they won't be able to see them very well just be a matter of time before they try again. The question I just thought about was what should I do? I live in AZ while we are allowed to threaten deadly force to protect property it doesn't allow you to actually shoot someone unless they are attacking you or someone else. This is way different then someone that you confront inside your home even in the most liberal states no one is prosecuted for shooting home invaders. I'm not sure if I even want to go out there and confront who ever it is. Obviously I will call the police but who knows if there response time will be fast enough. My thoughts are it's not worth the possible trouble I could get into going out there and confronting someone with a firearm.
Cameras are excellent, motion, floods and noise are even better. Why? Because they are doing smash and grabs for the most part. Not home invasions. Try to add more cameras and if at all possible, grab a plate number. Chances are there is more than one person doing it so, don't confront. It's just not worth it. If you have a hailer you can trigger, set it off MANUALlY to chase them off. Not a car alarm, a large and loud haile, bull horn and start yelling. Strobe lights work too. The idea is to I helm the senses and strobes do that. Create noise and watch the neighbors light up. That is what drives them away.

They are looking for crimes of opportunity. Don't leave valuables visible (cell phones, GPS units, high end sunglasses, change tray open and overflowing, tools, cameras..all are pawn worthy). Also, keep a cheap LED light pointed in that direction. The skies are usually Lear out there a night and when the moon is up, they can literally shop without a flashlight. Don't have your car hidden behind shrubbery as that is where they will go first.

If you go out there acting like Sheriff Joe, you might get your a$$ shot off. And if you get the drop and actually shoot them, chances are they will sue if they live. Just not worth it. Better to set off strobes and a hailed. My guess is they will trip and fall trying to make haste. Should be hilarious on camera. Share it with us when you trip them up! Have fun with THEM for a change.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 PM

The last time they got in my truck they used a slim Jim the truck was rand sacked they ended up getting our emergency supply bag we kept in the truck. The truck was a mess they threw papers everywhere. I'm not concerned about getting shot I'm more concerned with shooting someone and ending up in jail. In AZ justified self defense shooting lawsuits are un-herd of Most of those are in the east where a liberal minded jury might award damages.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Shoot to kill, always.

I mean this is a gun forum right?

TINLA

Old 07-01-2015, 11:51 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Only a couple of weeks ago I spoke about this to an American friend and when I told her that in the UK you cant shoot someone for breaking into your house she was shocked, as the laws are different. this is how it seems to work over here in the UK..

What about if someone shoots?
The most recent case was that of Andy and Tracey Ferrie. They were in bed when two burglars entered their home. Mr Ferrie fired his (legally-held) shotgun at the men. The couple were arrested but then released without charge.
The judge at the intruders' trial said: "If you burgle a house in the country where the householder owns a legally held shotgun, that is the chance you take. You cannot come to court and ask for a lighter sentence because of it."
The most well-known case is Tony Martin. In 1999, the Norfolk farmer shot dead an intruder in his home. He was jailed for life for murder but the Court of Appeal then reduced that to manslaughter. He served three years in jail.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:27 AM

That's why I thank god I was born in the USA where self defense is still legal and criminals aren't coddled. I don't know how the UK legal system works but here you are judged by a jury of your peers not some appointed wealthy judge who has a twisted view of society. Even in most liberal states in America no one has been prosecuted for killing someone invading a home. Here is a case in Florida where the entire family opened fire on a guy he wasn't even armed no charges were filed. HOME INVADER SHOT - BY ENTIRE FAMILY

Old 07-02-2015, 12:39 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Have you thought about a dog? Most burglars are terrified of dogs. A med-large stout breed like a German Shepard or Roti would send a B&E guy running and you could let them out to give chase.

Best not to try to actually catch the guy but to make your property much more difficult to steal.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:56 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
It depends on your state of residence. Morally, I feel fine with killing them. Legally, this is totally area-dependent.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Have you thought about a dog? Most burglars are terrified of dogs. A med-large stout breed like a German Shepard or Roti would send a B&E guy running and you could let them out to give chase.

Best not to try to actually catch the guy but to make your property much more difficult to steal.
Dogs are great for detecting someone near the home. Most people are not going to keep a dog that will bite someone who comes into the home in which the dog doesn't know. I know someone who lived in a terrible area he had chow chow dogs they would bite anyone they didn't know he kept them locked up in a caged dog run when anyone came to the house they were not socialized which most people don't want that kind of family dog.

I have smaller dogs bark when someone walks onto the property while they would do their best to stop an intruder I would rather they run and hide if I wasn't home. They work well when I'm home.

If someone is outside my home I would not confront them I have decided but If they step a foot in my door Ill shoot them dead.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:43 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
While it is legal here in Texas to use deadly force to prevent theft of your property, you best be sure it is absolutely necessary..... and be prepared to live with the mental consequences if you are a sensitive person.

Outside the house with the perp being frightened off & running away, I wouldn't shoot at him, but would give a warning shot to speed him on his way.

Outside the house if said perp is aggressive towards me or anyone else, then he's DRT. Inside the house, he's DRT ASAP, his demeanor being determined after he assumes room temperature.

But to repeat, if you are a sensitive type, then be prepared for the after action stress disorder.

If you are not particularly bothered by dispatching a scumbag to his just reward, then have a beer after the dust settles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting