U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 09:08 PM

5,264 posts, read 4,058,133 times

Advertisements

Anybody remember buying these as a kid ?
It consisted of a fat straw and a bag of dried peas which were hard as rocks. They sold them in the dime store next to the candy aisle. If I remember correctly,they costed about .25 cents and you got about 100 peas to a bag. Not as powerful as a BB gun but they could lodge under the skin and cause a very serious infection (Not really, I had to steal that line off Chevy Chase from National Lampoon's Vacation.) You could still put an eye out with a clean shot. Mine was taken from me by the teacher, no right to bear arms in the 4th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 09:23 PM

286 posts, read 196,171 times
never used one. Use to sneak up on and shoot flies, tho, using a big rubber band. :-)

Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,978,948 times
I remember shooting spitwads through a pen casing when I was a kid.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:22 PM

58 posts, read 89,894 times
I never used one of those but have used and owned blowguns pretty heavily since the 1980s. They don't just sting, they can seriously wound and kill with their steel wire darts and some broad head points. In South America the natives use them to hunt game with and poison the tip from poisonous/venomous reptiles and amphibians they find located there. Dip the tip of the dart in the venom and whatever it hits is like being bitten/hit/struck with the venoms source.

Plop....the animal falls out of the tree and dies very quickly!

Old 07-31-2015, 04:25 PM

58 posts, read 89,894 times
There is no paperwork or background checks on these. They operate on the same concept as the childrens toy.

These AIN'T no toy though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emo0fdDHd_E

Old 07-31-2015, 08:46 PM

286 posts, read 196,171 times
I would not expect the regular darts to kill much of anything before it got down a hole and lost to you. Maybe starlings. I could see the broadheads taking pigeons. maybe chipmunks or gophers. yes, they could result in the death of a rabbit or squirrel, but if the animal is lost to you, that's bad news. Bow hiunters used to use succinylcholine chloride to make certain that even a poorly hit animal died. they used a 'wiener' balloon, slipped over the shaft, then the broadhead was screwed onto the arrow shaft. when the broadhead pierced the skin of a critter, contact with the skin would "peel back" the balloon and dump the chemical into the wound. Dipping the arrowhead in this stuff and then nicking yourelf kills you, or makes you go blind cause you lay there all day looking at the sun, unable to close your eyelids! Something like that could be used on blowgun darts. You'd have to not apply it until ready to shoot, and then carefully keep the dart in some sort of container if not used, Cooking the meat renders this chemical harmless to humans.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:40 PM

4,657 posts, read 3,027,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Anybody remember buying these as a kid ?
Early and mid-1950s. We used peas and dried beans. You had to gently squeeze the pea shooter to a more oval shape to accommodate the beans but they worked fine.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:45 AM

4,657 posts, read 3,027,372 times
One little trick was to saw down the pea shooter so that it fits into your fist. Then in class pretend to cough as you fire peas to the back of the head of the teacher's pet who sits in the 1st seat of your row.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 AM

4,948 posts, read 4,651,663 times
One time when my family went on vacation, a bunch of my brother's friends used our yard for a peashooter battle. Our dad found out about it when little pea plants started sprouting up all over our lawn a week later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or