Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:17 AM

290 posts, read 258,455 times

Advertisements

Hello
I have only ever fired a real gun with real bullets once.

I was 14 and I went to a military rifle range. In those days [80's] the guns were SLRs [ self loading rifles] . The night before I was taught by a military guy how to put the cartridge in and so on. The next day I went to the range. It was an open rifle range. There were 10 of us in a line with no barriers in between. So in theory you could shoot to the side and ping someone. There was a military observer guy standing near the range. He said to us all "if there is any shooting to the side you will be knocked unconscious. You are firing a real lethal weapon".

Then I put the cartridge in that had the bullets. I held the SLR. Suddenly I felt like I had a ten ton block of concrete on my back; for the first time it dawned on me that I held something that could kill myself or someone else. It made my hands shake. I fired all 20 of the bullets but didn't hit any targets.

I didn't enjoy doing that. I decided that guns were not for me and I have never held a gun since. I wonder if an absolute beginner starting off with an open rifle range is a good idea. I was also amazed at how heavy/awkward the SLR was. It was a Vietnam war weapon. I thought "if this was what your life depended upon in a Vietnam jungle then I feel sorry for you".

So that was my first and only ever gun experience. This was in Australia at a military base. I don't know how it compares to gun clubs, bases in the US or whatever. I don't know if that was an unusual way to fire a weapon for the first time. A SLR rifle seems to me to be more complex to handle and fire than say, a handheld pistol.

How does that compare to your first ever experience of firing a gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:46 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,244,367 times
And that is why when I had taught people to shoot who had never handled a firearm, I always started out on a 22LR and the worked my way up according to that persons ability to handle each caliber. Each person is different, so some take to it like a fish to water and others not so much.

My first gun was a single shot 22LR but I also fired a friends .38 spl revolver and it took about 50 rounds before I was starting to feel comfortable with it, that was back when I was 13, I have since fired just about every caliber and .38 spl and 9mm being my favorites to shoot, while .40 S&W being my favorite to carry, I even own a 9mm rifle.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,991,119 times
first real experience was as a young teen back in the 70's, shooting a .22lr at asst targets (bottles, etc) with my grandpa. Good experience.

first experience with a handgun, with stepdad, same period (keep in mind i was a scrawny little dude). 357 mag. No real instruction on form. Lets just say my forehead hurt for awhile after the hammer nailed it hard after the first shot. Not such a good experience lol.

For next few decades real only experiences were with inlaws at various get-togethers on family land target, skeet, and even musket shooting. All in a fun atmosphere. And that makes a huge difference in how one enjoys trying different guns out.

The past couple years since i've become (in my 50's) a gun owner, i cant wait to get back to the range and spend an hour running a bunch of ammo thru my .22 and 9mm handguns. And i've made sure that my wife's learning experiences (she never got into shooting even though all her family are heavy in it) are all positive so she enjoys coming with me

Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,822,510 times
My first gun experience was being shot in the butt by a neighbor with a shotgun and rock salt. I cut through his yard. It was 1957. I was 6 years old. Scarred me for life. To this day, I'm sacred of salt.

Shooting a "real" gun I was 10 and at an arcade shooting a .22 rifle. Yes they let kids actually shoot real guns back then in arcades.

First real firearm owned was in the early 70's when I purchased a Smith & Wesson "Highway Patrolman" .357 revolver.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:12 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,932,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
My first gun experience was being shot in the butt by a neighbor with a shotgun and rock salt. I cut through his yard. It was 1957. I was 6 years old. Scarred me for life. To this day, I'm sacred of salt.
How do you survive? Your body is full of salt

Old 05-29-2015, 10:00 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,822,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
How do you survive? Your body is full of salt
I drink a lot of water.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I drink a lot of water.
Nice

Old 05-29-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
I wonder if an absolute beginner starting off with an open rifle range is a good idea.
No it's not. As mentioned starting off with a small caliber weapon is the best option and the heavier the better. Take the .380 cartridge for example. In a heavier firearm like a Walther PPK or any of its clones the .380 is pretty comfortable to shoot. The same cartridge in a small lightweight gun like the Ruger LCP can actually be painful. A good instructor (be it a friend or a professional) should be aware of things like this.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:26 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,246,340 times
I was likely ten when my dad, a gun collector and war hero, took me out back with what I suspect was a 22 and showed me how to safely carry a rifle and shoot one saying all good Americans should know how. That was until my mother disabused him of the notion. Maybe she thought it would scare off suitors later on?

I did own a few black powder later on with my husband and even worked the ready board at the Grand Nationals (trap) one year. Gun ownership is a big responsibility and a serious one that requires expert training.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:40 AM

166 posts, read 242,301 times
My Dad (former Marine) taught me with his old Iver Johnson single shot bolt action .22 rifle. He taught me good fundamentals and after that I was on my own. They gave me a .20 Gauge single shot for Christmas when I was 12 that I killed my first deer with.
My first experience with pistols that I remember was in boot camp but still not that big of a deal.

I'm not a gun nut or fascinated with them. I've had to carry them in the military for many years so they're just a tool to me. I own 3 pistols, 2 rifles, 2 shotguns. All have sentimental value except 2 of the pistols.

I had my 9 year old son at the local outdoor range yesterday with that same Iver Johnson teaching him good fundamentals and he does pretty good. I also have a Walther P22 that I use to teach him how to use a pistol. I stress safety and responsibility to him and he's responded well so far. He'll recite the rules for making a pistol safe on command and more importantly he follows them. Safety/Magazine/Chamber/Safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting