U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:22 AM

1,936 posts, read 3,338,388 times

Advertisements

Walking up the drive way last night and found a discharged bullet laying in the driveway. What's weird is the only damage to it was being a little scrapped up from the cement. Do you think it could have been fired into the air and bounced around in the tree before hitting the ground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:21 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Walking up the drive way last night and found a discharged bullet laying in the driveway. What's weird is the only damage to it was being a little scrapped up from the cement. Do you think it could have been fired into the air and bounced around in the tree before hitting the ground?
It is near the 4th of July. It was likely discharged into the air, and who knows if it came down in a tree or not.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:48 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,598,184 times
be a good case for your local CSI .. they can probably figure out the range such a weapon could fire and back track to a general area where the bullet came from then match the bore scratches to the exact gun ... if they were bored enuff that is .... I found a civil war bullet on my property many years ago .. I doubt I can find out where it came from ...

Old 07-21-2015, 09:53 AM

7,824 posts, read 7,813,981 times
What goes up.........

Seriously though, anyone who shoots their rifle or handgun in the air as a "celebratory" act, is one cartridge short of a full magazine.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
be a good case for your local CSI .. they can probably figure out the range such a weapon could fire and back track to a general area where the bullet came from then match the bore scratches to the exact gun ... if they were bored enuff that is .... I found a civil war bullet on my property many years ago .. I doubt I can find out where it came from ...
Highly HIGHLY doubtful. OP does not know the angle, nor the loading. Was it a 124gr NATO pressure, or a 124gr hand-load that was 200fps slower? That would make a HUGE difference in distance it would travel. Then, was it a 70* angle, or 80*? So much variance, not to mention the unlawful seizure of tons of weapons that fall within a "possible" radius of the OP's location, given every angle and loading variant, to "test scratches"....it's absurd. Like saying you would find the exact vehicle that door-dinged your car at Wal-Mart by matching paint and searching every leading door-edge in the city.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:26 PM

I did get the diameter which was .355, isn't that about a 9mm. Given the neighboring neighborhoods it very well could have been used in a crime

Old 07-21-2015, 12:38 PM

4,931 posts, read 4,639,782 times
What type of bullet is it, please?

Round nose lead
Wadcutter lead
Full metal jacket
Jacketed hollow point

Something else

Old 07-21-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
What type of bullet is it, please?

Round nose lead
Wadcutter lead
Full metal jacket
Jacketed hollow point

Something else
Didn't look like anything special, had a rounded tip...other than than that not sure

Old 07-21-2015, 02:28 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,598,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
, to "test scratches"....it's absurd. Like saying you would find the exact vehicle that door-dinged your car at Wal-Mart by matching paint and searching every leading door-edge in the city.
the how do they always manage to match bullets to certain guns ?

Old 07-21-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
the how do they always manage to match bullets to certain guns ?
They take that weapon and a non-deformed slug and fire it into a water tank and compare rifling marks. It's not going to happen though, because thousands of gun owners within the OP's circle of probability are not going to volunteer for it, and there is zero probable cause to arrest or confiscate anyone's weapon in this case, unless more to the story comes to light. A ballistic match is about the most overhyped thing there is, because to actually legally get to the point or even LOGISTICALLY get to the point that a lab rat has the weapon in-hand, the case is pretty much done already anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting