Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,578,439 times

Advertisements

My brother in law has a p89. I always enjoyed shooting it. I like it, I like how it shoots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 10:06 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,199,600 times
Like all old school rugers, it was built like the soviets build weapons. Ugly, huge, and completely durable and reliable. It was just toooooooom damn big. Many, many more models came out that we're almost half the size and just as reliable.

A great example is the smith and Wesson SD 9/40. GREAT gun often sold for $250-279 on sale. Can't beat it. It's borderline compact, holds 16 in the mag (9mm) and comes with two mags. The trigger is about 8-9lbs but I don't think it's that bad and actually improves with time. Even the first generations are okay. Just a little fatter and with a slightly heavier trigger if you can believe it.

I have both. Take the SD. It's a better gun for the same money. The gen 1's haven't been made in years.

The P-89 is about what? 1.5" wide? I can't remember owning a gun as fat although the sigs give it a run for the money on fatness. Same with the old smith model 4xxx. Good, just fat.

But, if you are an ape, like your guns fat, like your women, heeeeeres your gun......Concealment? If you can hide a brick, literally, you will feel right at home. There are just soooooooo very many good guns out there for less.

Some within this price range include the glock .42 and .43, smith SD's, Kel-tec PF 9 and 11's, SR 9 for slightly more, Taurus G2 for often less than $200 after rebate, Taurus 709/740, Ruger LC9/LC9S, Bersa thunder and BP, sig 290 on sale, glock trade ins, and on and on and on...the P89 is no for collectors. They are just obsolete.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:35 AM

643 posts, read 467,153 times
I don't know about it being big, it was not designed for CCW use. Its like saying the Beretta 92 or Taurus pt92 is too big. They are great guns. I just bought one for 250 range and it was not easy to find one in good condition for that price. I know see them going for 400 and more for one 100 percent in factory box with a couple of mags. Its the way things go, no one wants it then everyone sees what a great thing it was and the price goes up. I bought a Walther PP back in the day when they came in for 199 in 32. I sold it like an idiot and then went to buy one back and found they now are going for 400 and up. Get ahold of something and don't let it go.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:57 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,191,502 times
I had a P85 9mm for a long time. I gave it to a family member with a bunch of rounds back when everyone went ape buying everything in sight. And he wanted a gun for protection. By then it was not a gun I shot a lot

As for accuracy
I outshot my buddies with "better" guns like SIGs Smiths and Berettas. Not because I had a better gun but because I knew how to shoot my gun.

As far as reliability I shot literally thousands of rounds out of that P85. I bought it in 1994 as a police trade in for I think $250. Still have the receipt. It had holster wear, unknown round count. 9mm ammo was dirt cheap and I bought it by the case. For a long time it was my only semi auto as I used revolvers before. But not once did I have a failure to feed, fire stovepipe etc.
Before I gave it to my relative I sent it to Ruger for a recall on the firing pin and to have it refurbished. When I got it back it was literally a new gun. All it cist me was $35 for shipping. They never charged me for any of the repairs.

My only semi auto now is a P90. Which IMO is a very under rated gun also. I lost interest in semis so I sold them. The triggers n p85/89 are just crappy but there are some fixes. Still just a ok trigger. That's why it's never going to be a great first choice gun.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 12-29-2015 at 03:21 AM..

Old 12-29-2015, 07:54 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,851,986 times
I don't but my first gun was a Ruger P93-DC. I got it off my broke ex-BIL for a song. The story behind it is rather funny. The P93 is a pretty substantial 9mm, but I was a newbie to shooting, am a tiny woman, and had no clue about guns or how to choose one that worked best for me. My ex husband wanted me to have one for protection and thought this one would work well for me. My BIL is a big alpha male with many guns of all types. He told me he thought the gun was too big for me and that I would probably end up giving it to my now ex-husband. He said I I needed a smaller gun since my hands were so tiny, so that's why he was giving me a good deal. I sure proved him wrong. I ended up being a better shot with it than my BIL ever was. I love the gun because it's very accurate, doesn't jam, and my relationship with it lasted much longer than my relationship with my husband did
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger P89 underrated?-scoobys-ruger-2.jpg  

Old 01-08-2016, 10:30 AM

I just got back from the range yesterday shooting my new to me p89. What an accurate gun. If I tried at 15 yards I bet I could put them all in a half dollar group. Great gun. Not a good CCW gun unless its Jan and you live in North Michigan, but a great gun all the same.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:54 PM

54,465 posts, read 33,753,310 times
I have had a Ruger P89 since I bought it new in 1997 and I never had any problems with it. The gun is reliable, with good accuracy. The one feature that I like about it is the cam safety. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it an 8.

The one thing that I did when I first bought it was replace the factory grips with rubberized ones, they provide a better overall grip on the weapon. In some cases, it can be worn concealed in a holster on a belt, covered with a jacket, sweatshirt, or a t-shirt.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,199,600 times
They are not bad, like a I said, completely reliable. Just big.....it seems huge for spitting out a 9mm....everyone else, including Ruger, have been able to spit 9mm's out of pistols half the size and weight, just as reliably, for years.

If you want one, get it. It's just kind of crude (mag release) and fat as all heck. The Ruger 9mm LCS is a good example of what can be. And if you like the full size, take a look at their SR45...a truly underrated weapon if there ever was one. I have the SR9 as well and it's a very competent weapon from Ruger at 1" in width....weird takedown and reassembly though....

The SR series, in my humble opinion, far surpasses the old P89 ergo whey the discontinued it....

Old 01-09-2016, 09:51 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,138,878 times
I was never impressed with mine, I had too many stovepipes, no matter what ammo I used. It's still living in AK, while I am here in MI. To get it sent here will require an FFL at both ends and TBH I don't know if I can be bothered. The Walther PPS .40 SW I just picked up is a superior piece in every way, so I may just tell the present caretaker to sell it for whatever it gets.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I was never impressed with mine, I had too many stovepipes, no matter what ammo I used. It's still living in AK, while I am here in MI. To get it sent here will require an FFL at both ends and TBH I don't know if I can be bothered. The Walther PPS .40 SW I just picked up is a superior piece in every way, so I may just tell the present caretaker to sell it for whatever it gets.
I have had 3 of the the last one I just picked up. None of them ever had a single FTF FTE. When you do a google search on them you find very few that have problems. If yours had a problem I am sure it was something that was damaged, I.E extractor ejector or some other thing. p89s are not Taurus slims that have a track record of not working and there by being a bad design. If I google Walther pps I get more problem's then when I do the same with the p89. Is the gun bulky,sure but the frame will not crack like some polys I have had I.E one glock and one Smith M&P. Don't get me wrong I love both those pistols but they will not take the pure abuse that the p89 would take. And I am not saying buy it over a Glock or M&P and I own both two Glock's and two M&P pistols a shield and full size M&P The are all very good guns and for ccw the p89 is not a great choice. But as far as function its hard to beat. I put lead reloads through all the ones I have owned and never has so much as a hiccup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting