U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:58 AM

2,981 posts, read 4,455,684 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that the confrontation was escalated by Oulson after Reeves reported him to the theater manager. Phone was thrown, popcorn was snatched and thrown... The fact that the wife was shot in the hand leads me to believe she was holding him back.

There's security camera footage of the shooting as well as Reeves leaving the theater to complain to the manager.

The rest will hopefully come out during the trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:11 PM

1,506 posts, read 921,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Phone was thrown, popcorn was snatched and thrown...
Some witnesses maintain that things did not start to fly until Reeves ordered Oulson to "shut up".
Quote:
The fact that the wife was shot in the hand leads me to believe she was holding him back.
Or trying to shield him? At the end of the day, Reeves armed himself for self defense- then pursued an avoidable confrontation. That is not a good idea.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:45 PM

17,915 posts, read 9,843,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Or trying to shield him? At the end of the day, Reeves armed himself for self defense- then pursued an avoidable confrontation. That is not a good idea.
As a person who is and has been involved in the morality of armed self defense, being armed and failing to walk away from a confrontation that was easily avoidable is, to me, essentially an immoral act because it has been so pounded into my own mind, "When you're armed, just walk away."

So that is a visceral prejudice in my mind. But I can't be sure how it will play with a jury. This might even backfire on the defense if they try to pack the jury with CCL holders--thinking they would be sympathetic, but who have been trained the way I've been trained.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As a person who is and has been involved in the morality of armed self defense, being armed and failing to walk away from a confrontation that was easily avoidable is, to me, essentially an immoral act because it has been so pounded into my own mind, "When you're armed, just walk away."
I your use of the words "immoral act". Those words give a far deeper explanation of Reeves' actions than my "It is not a good idea".

You are right, it is an immoral act. Being armed with a fire arm means one has the direct ability to take human life. Ethical obligations demand that one do everything reasonably possible to avoid having to do so. This means not pursuing easily avoidable confrontations. My guess is that this concept is in the writings of both Christian and Jewish religous thinkers.

No, I dont think Reeves wants CHL holders like you on the jury. I think people like you, however, need to be on it.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:40 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,455,684 times
Quote:
Some witnesses maintain that things did not start to fly until Reeves ordered Oulson to "shut up".

Reeves was accosted as he returned to his seat for being a "snitch" and that is the point where it all went bad.

I've read so much spin on this whole thing over the last several months, heck over a year, from both professional "journalists" as well as agenda-driven anti-gun forum posters, I am just kinda burned out on it all. Not leveling any criticism here, just giving my perspective on things.

So again, I'm just going to wait for the trial. That's where all (or at least most) of the facts will see the light of day. After all, that's what we have them for.

I just posted in this thread to clarify that the trial is NOT happening now.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:59 PM

17,915 posts, read 9,843,391 times
Quote:
Oulson had been in the military as well. But yes, I think you have a good point. Police officers and the military are honor cultures. Neither Reeves nor Oulson liked to be dis respected and both liked to have the last word as a means of dominance.
If a soldier has been properly socialized as a soldier, the issue of "honor" is one of unit, not of person. Disrespect him if you want, but do not disrespect his organization.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:58 PM

48,898 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
My understanding is that the confrontation was escalated by Oulson after Reeves reported him to the theater manager. Phone was thrown, popcorn was snatched and thrown... The fact that the wife was shot in the hand leads me to believe she was holding him back.

There's security camera footage of the shooting as well as Reeves leaving the theater to complain to the manager.

The rest will hopefully come out during the trial.
There was no phone thrown according to the testimonies I've seen and that includes an off-duty cop in the theatre.

The shooter has been caught in a few lies already about being struck so if you are taking his word as truth....don't.

I trust the impartial witnesses that saw the whole thing beginning to end, especially the off-duty officer.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Reeves was accosted as he returned to his seat for being a "snitch" and that is the point where it all went bad.
That is apparently true. Reeves, however, was then a mutual participant in an ensuing argument that was easily avoidable. As he was armed for self defense, this was not a wise move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I didn't see anything in that article about the shooter identifying himself as a retired police officer.
Heck, even if had identified himself as a retired police capitan, I dont think it objectively changes anything as Oulson had not committed a criminal act and Reeves was not functioning as a police officer at the time.

Rather, Reeves is still held to the same standard as anybody else. Heck, in the minds of some jurors, Reeves might be held to an even higher standard.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:06 AM

1,112 posts, read 858,540 times
The texter was a rude and inconsiderate ass that he deserved to be shot.

The shooter was an idiot and did it. He's going to prison.

Either way you can't win.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:19 AM

18,111 posts, read 16,453,088 times
I hope they have good movies at the prison for the old gent to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting