U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:32 AM

1,506 posts, read 920,602 times

Advertisements

The case of the escalating argument regarding a request / order to stop texting replete with "shut ups", "no you shut ups" that led to thrown popcorn and a shooting starts today.

Judge sets Aug. 24 trial date for Pasco theater shooting suspect | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

I believe most witnesses will testify that the younger man approached the shooter (after having arguably been provoked). My prediction is that.....

The shooter is going to die in prison.

At the end of the day, and "he said, she saids" aside, the very avoidable shooting occured in a theatre amongst alot of middle class people. Middle Class jurors may tolerate questionable shootings in trailer parks, barrios and 'hoods. I bet they take a dim view, however, of questionable shooting where they and theirs could have been the victim of a stray round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 09:05 AM

5,273 posts, read 8,219,571 times
Hard to claim you were in fear for your life due to popcorn being thrown at you. Old guy is going to prison.

I don't know why people even go to theaters anymore. I haven't been in over 25 years because of rude behavior of others distracting me from the movie. I imagine it is much worse these days.

Buy a 70+ inch television with surround sound and why would you need to go to a theater ever again?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:57 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,677,539 times
The shooter was a retired police captain, who obviously forgot that he wasn't a police officer anymore. Throwing popcorn at a police officer is definitely assault. Throwing popcorn at a retired police officer is quite rude, but is hardly assault.

Even if he were still on the force, assaulting a police officer by tossing popcorn is definitely not justification for deadly force.

For a civilian you have to prove "imminent danger" before lethal force can be used in self defense. Popcorn is hardly "imminent danger".

Old 08-24-2015, 11:12 AM

3,949 posts, read 3,854,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Hard to claim you were in fear for your life due to popcorn being thrown at you. Old guy is going to prison.

I don't know why people even go to theaters anymore. I haven't been in over 25 years because of rude behavior of others distracting me from the movie. I imagine it is much worse these days.

Buy a 70+ inch television with surround sound and why would you need to go to a theater ever again?
I've been a few times over the last 10 years but even the newest theaters in my area don't compare to my home system. 103" projection system and a sound system that is + or - 3db from 20khz to 17hz.

The rare times I do go, I go in the afternoon, preferably on a weekend and I carry despite the signs.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:58 AM

48,893 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Shooter is going to go away IMO due to the fact that:

a) His wife was heard saying there was no reason to shoot the man.

b) He lied to the police saying that the guy struck him before he shot him.

Basically, there are enough witnesses around and Mr. Trigger Happy got caught embellishing the encounter because he knows he's on the wrong side of the law in this one.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:53 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,453,287 times
No it's not. The trial won't be until January 2016.

Reeves faces trial in January

Living in the area (I have actually gone to that theater), I have followed this case intently. As of now, I expect an acquittal based on what I've been able to sort out regarding facts/details so far.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:21 PM

48,893 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post

Living in the area (I have actually gone to that theater), I have followed this case intently. As of now, I expect an acquittal based on what I've been able to sort out regarding facts/details so far.
Could you explain which facts make the shooting justifiable?

I realize he knows all the right code words like "I felt threatened" but it's hard to take that at face value when he lied about being hit to the cops.

Now if there are other witness testimonies coming out saying the guy was trying to tackle him then that would be different. Is that the case?

Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 PM

1,506 posts, read 920,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post

Thanks for the correction. I head the defense attorneys have been filing a lot of delaying actions, but I thought the judge had ruled that 08/24 was D-Day.

As to the possibility of an acquittal, my bet is on a conviction for Murder 2 (though manslaughter maybe more appropriate, I don't think the jury is going to have alot of patience with the shooter).

Old 08-24-2015, 02:03 PM

17,898 posts, read 9,836,596 times
I think the biggest negative impact on the defendant will be the fact that he had completely broken away from the confrontation and then willfully rejoined it. Given the fact that he obviously knew he was armed when he rejoined the confrontation, and given the fact that he still had clear opportunity even then to break off the confrontation (as displayed by his own wife's comment), I think the "feared for my life" argument will fall on deaf ears with the jury.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:32 PM

7,824 posts, read 7,816,354 times
Well, one thing is clear.... don't bring popcorn to a gunfight, or vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting