Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 AM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We got 6 Deer total for the group ((so far). I had this nice surprise pop out and the 6.5 Grendel in my AR-15 did the job! Taped out around 200 lbs. Already on the smoker and sweet as candy.
Nice little piggy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 AM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It's Sony's equivalent. A lot cheaper than Go-Pro. I set it to 720dpi in order to get 5 hours out of my memory stick. 1080dpi only gives you 3 hours. I've got hours upon hours of footage I need to edit, but for right now an easy thing to do is pick out a highlight, copy the frames to an image hosting site then post them in a string.

I think the resolution at 720dpi is pretty good, so I will run 1080 next time. Next time I head to NE Montana will be in December and I hope snow cover will be there- that will be cool to see pheasants flushing from the snow in a puff of dry powder!

BTW I love, love, love this Browning Silver. I bought it as a waterfowl gun, but I'll be damned if it isn't a pleasure to carry 10 miles a day looking for upland birds. I sling it until the dog gets birdy then up she comes. That shot I took in the frames above was a quick snap shot. You can even make out the shot pattern in the frame titled 'smack'.
I'm definitely checking into that camera setup.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Just shot my 4th, 5th and 6th deer of the year last Thursday during rifle season. My daughter git a buck on Sunay. 6 of them were ground to burger and are in the freezer or our bellies, and the last is still hanging in the garage waiting to be processed and likely canned. I'm going to try to get 1-2 more just to make sure we got meat to last till next September.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:06 PM

Wow thats a lot of whitetail! You feed a lot of kids? I used to harvest 5-6 a year in WV but we got tired of eating it all the time, so when I moved out here I kinda changed my hunting a bit.

We usually put 2-3 whitetail/deer in the freezer each year, plus I usually have about 40+ birds for the year too.. Goose, grouse, pheasants, ducks etc.. Then it's ice fishing and trout, perch maybe a few ling. Going to try and get some walleye through the ice this year.. We are a family of 4..

I just finished butchering my buck up. By my count I have-

20 lbs of steaks, roasts and chops,
6 lbs of stew meat
30 lbs of ground burger
4 lbs of liver and heart

We'll put another one to two in the freezer and that should hold us fine for the year. We had a hell of a storm blow through, so I may go out and see if I can spy an elk- that would be 2 years of meat for us.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Wow thats a lot of whitetail! You feed a lot of kids? I used to harvest 5-6 a year in WV but we got tired of eating it all the time, so when I moved out here I kinda changed my hunting a bit.

We usually put 2-3 whitetail/deer in the freezer each year, plus I usually have about 40+ birds for the year too.. Goose, grouse, pheasants, ducks etc.. Then it's ice fishing and trout, perch maybe a few ling. Going to try and get some walleye through the ice this year.. We are a family of 4..

I just finished butchering my buck up. By my count I have-

20 lbs of steaks, roasts and chops,
6 lbs of stew meat
30 lbs of ground burger
4 lbs of liver and heart

We'll put another one to two in the freezer and that should hold us fine for the year. We had a hell of a storm blow through, so I may go out and see if I can spy an elk- that would be 2 years of meat for us.
We have 2 kids, and we all like to eat. This past year we ran out of deer by August or so...so I bought another freezer and plan to shoot a couple more. My goal is to make it to September without thinking if I don't get a deer we don't eat meat.

I usually take the backstraps, heart and liver and eat those, then I grind most of the rest. With the deer around here I usually get 40-45 pounds of burger off of a mature doe. Unfortunately one of the does I shot was pretty small--thought she was bigger than she was. Thankfully, the deer population around here is pretty healthy. In late season it's not uncommon to drive by a field and see 30 in a herd.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:14 AM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
I still have some venison from two years ago that needs to go soon. I've got the freezers filled with yellowfin, bluefin tuna, yellowtail, assorted rockfish and halibut. This on top of the nice pig I shot this year. I'm bartering for some Elk so we'll have an assortment. Last year I traded for some antelope and caribou. Good stuff.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:03 AM

-5 this morning and I'm headed out to go duck and goose hunting this weekend. Woot-hoot!!!

Old 11-28-2015, 11:52 AM

Our group Limited out early today

30 birds from 8:00 to 11:00am

Old 11-28-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Our group Limited out early today
That's a lot of ducks and geese. Looks like fun...but I've never really liked to eat duck or goose. Must mean it wasn't cooked right, I suppose.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That's a lot of ducks and geese. Looks like fun...but I've never really liked to eat duck or goose. Must mean it wasn't cooked right, I suppose.
I love duck more than any other game. Goose can be tough, but brined and smoked it's delicious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting