Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:26 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I live in Kansas. I can walk into a gun show and walk out with one. :P
Stop rubbing it in. In Montana, carry is allowed for kids 14 and up. Why can't it be like that everywhere? Kids aren't as bad as people think. They really aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Stop rubbing it in. In Montana, carry is allowed for kids 14 and up. Why can't it be like that everywhere? Kids aren't as bad as people think. They really aren't.
I agree that young people can be responsible. My son passed the hunter safety training course and the written test in California at the age of seven. I never doubted that he was responsible with his weapon -- I only worried about other people not being responsible.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I agree that young people can be responsible. My son passed the hunter safety training course and the written test in California at the age of seven. I never doubted that he was responsible with his weapon -- I only worried about other people not being responsible.
Exactly. In certain situations, I think kids think about their decisions more than adults. Kids have lots of emotions and that causes hesitation in situations that could be bad. Sorry to let the Libertarian side kick in, but requiring a permit imo is a violation of our rights. Self defense isn't something you ask permission for or get a permit for. Vermont is one of two states that don't require a permit for concealed or open carry, yet they're the second safest state? Where are all the college shootings that would "happen" if guns aren't restricted? Where are the shootings in areas where there aren't many restrictions on gun ownership and carry?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:03 AM

15 posts, read 50,765 times
Depends on what your plans are. Are you going to carry it concealed? Or is it just for home defense? What is your level of experience with guns? If you are new to guns, get a revolver; if you are comfortable with guns, consider a Glock Model 26 (9mm) or 27 (.40 cal). They are fairly concealable if you wear a jacket or overshirt. Large revolvers are difficult to conceal IMO.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM

272 posts, read 784,300 times
Hi! Great thread!

Well....you have lots of options, and which way you go, initially at any rate will depend on your formal education with pistol craft, how much training you've had.

Pistols used for self defense should by way of necessity be flawless in operation and very simple to manage. You should use a caliber with sufficient power to stop an attacker. So...avoid the exotic pistols, or revolvers with all the 'bells and whistles' so to speak. None of my self defense handguns have adjustable sights....there just too much 'edge' to get caught on things....for defense simpler is better.
At home I use a Glock in .40 S&W. The 1911 series [.40 SW or .45 ACP] is a good choice if you get a reliable one...some lower quality 1911's are susceptible to interruption, or stoppages if you 'weak-arm' the pistol....but that being said..there are numerous OUTSTANDING 1911 [A1] 's on the market that are totally flawless! [but these are very costly...so don't ignore that factor either] Yes..consider the cost. Top end 1911's are quite a bit more expensive than a Glock....and the Glock while not as strong in the 'neat' department...will function without fail!
Pay for the right piece, that is completely reliable...the pistol/revolver will need to function absolutely with out interruption every time....like the brakes on your car....you don't want to run the risk of failure at the most inopportune moment....which it sure as heck it will....if you go for something too cheap. Read the reviews on the web, and in print about particular piece your looking for...there are lots of cheap pistols that might be fun....but lack reliability.
I also have a hammerless .38-.357 that is quite reliable...these are good for the ladies too..but be sure to look at 'women specific' models...more suited to their hands....Yes I know....the .38-.357 [magnum of course] is 'smaller' than the .40 but the POWER behind the .357 'Mag' is sufficient to stop an attacker...and having the .38 [spl] option is good to practice with....an intermediate power cartridge that wont break the bank or your grip....If you opt for a revolver be sure to get one that is/has double action operation....Don't fool with SA revolvers for serious self defense.....they may have been suited to this back in the 1880's but this is the 21st century...and the bad-guy kicking in your front door at 2 am is the person you need to 'out-gun'.....not the James Bros'....

Calibers are an issue that we could go round and round about...[sorry that pun was too juicy to ignore] While I was in the service they continually pushed the 9mm...and granted at very close range against an enemy that is not likely to be on PCP....right in the forehead...this might be enough....and sure it is easier to handle...less powerful round...easier to handle...But many people have elected to stay, as I have, with the .45 ACP or the .40 S&W. [in auto-loading pistols] Personally I'd say there is no need to go to 10mm or .50 or beyond the "40's". [some of my brothers and sisters here may disagree and they are entitled to do so...I just speak from my experience which will differ from that of others....of course...]
Consider availability too as part of the research you put into this.....getting exotic calibers will present a problem if you need to purchase ammunition while on the road in some remote location....Much like the pistol or revolver itself....when it comes time for repairs or spare parts....if you go with something real rare....well...the parts and ammo will be equally rare or even more so....Keep the 'neat' stuff for showing off or shooting at the range with you friends...The nice thing about the Glock and the 1911 is that there are available .22 cal. conversion 'slides' that let you shoot .22 LR using the same frame as before....Learning to shoot using .22 is really the best way to start. Colt and Browning make some good .22 pistols, as does Ruger...but learning while getting the feel of the same frame is a added feature to the exercise....

Now as for concealed carry....This will vary widely by State and County. Be very careful and check the local laws before traveling to or even through these areas....You will be required to obey the law in each area you are in...even if just passing through......
And lastly....be sure to read up on all the various LEGAL aspects of using deadly force in self defense....Talk to your attorney about it...God forbid it ever happens to you that you are faced with that decision.......but if it does come to pass.... you WILL be spending time in the Court System, dealing with the Police and the authorities, the media and the whole host of official and un-official 'organs' that may or may NOT have YOUR best interests at heart.....of course this is far better than being dead...or maimed for the rest of your life.....but a jury might NOT see it YOUR way.....so always keep this in mind.....Never leave out Avoidance and or Escape as options...before going to deadly force...your 'situational awareness' meter should always be turned on....and if the needle "pegs"....that is a sure indication that you need to leave....Sometimes a simple SHOW of force...with some resolve.....followed by a quick exit is far preferable to engaging a psychotic drugged freak in a gun battle that you might loose....[always remember THAT too! No matter how good YOU are that scum-bag might just get lucky...it DOES happen...always assume that they ARE....]....But again...if your cornered...and have no choice...then it's all you....fight to survive....
You've got a big homework assignment ahead of you...but learning about the art of pistol craft and the aspects of self defense are part of what makes it all interesting!

All the best!

Last edited by Coffee Mate; 03-24-2008 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: .....

Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Great post, Coffee Mate. Lot of good information there, and it agrees with what I've been learning myself about guns, being a relative newbie to them.

I am curious about this comment though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Mate View Post
Sometimes a simple SHOW of force...with some resolve.....followed by a quick exit is far preferable to engaging a psychotic drugged freak in a gun battle that you might loose....
I keep hearing the mantra that says "the only time you show your gun is when you intend to use it". That makes sense to me, and it seems awfully dangerous otherwise. Under what scenarios would you ever simply show a gun? Seems like a good way to get shot yourself. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Great post, Coffee Mate. Lot of good information there, and it agrees with what I've been learning myself about guns, being a relative newbie to them.

I am curious about this comment though.

I keep hearing the mantra that says "the only time you show your gun is when you intend to use it". That makes sense to me, and it seems awfully dangerous otherwise. Under what scenarios would you ever simply show a gun? Seems like a good way to get shot yourself. Thanks.
Correct, if you display your gun it is a threat, the only time you show your gun is if you or someones life is in absolute danger and at that point your suspose to shoot, flash your gun to scare someone and you go to jail.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:03 AM

272 posts, read 784,300 times
Granted...and for the most part that mantra is correct...and I was fully prepared to use it.....but the opportunity to exit presented itself....so I felt no compunction to fire simply because I had already 'pulled it' as you say....Situations change fast and you need to make decisions very quickly...and you need to react almost instinctively too...There are numerous training evolutions where you already have a weapon drawn [un-holstered] and yet you STILL have to make the "shoot, no-shoot" decision. You need to be flexible...think fast on your feet....and be smart....Don't get locked into a previous decision that no longer makes sense because the situation has changed....They teach this in the service constantly....CONTROL! Be in control....If you feel like you need to 'cut loose' each and every time you pull your weapon...then you are OUT of control.....You've given up your flexibility and it will cost you.
In hindsight I think that the other person I faced that day [evening actually] was so accustomed to getting full compliance from people that they were not prepared for the possibility of someone having the capability and will to use deadly force against THEM...and that was why...or at least I think that was why they hesitated....They hesitated and I exited...I decided that continuing my original course of action was no longer necessary...It could very well have gone bad for me....thank God it did not...Situations like this are never very comfortable but you still have to deal with it the best way you know how at that particular moment.
It was not a case of me "flashing" a weapon in some sort of macho display of testosterone...The bad guy "displayed" his weapon first...and true..."brandishing" a firearm or any other weapon...or any other thing that a reasonable person or persons would consider a weapon or feel threated by as by a weapon is illegal. And again...a situation like this may land you in court...but that is preferable to being dead. Use of deadly force is very serious s--t don't take it lightly....So......turn off the T.V.....and the x-box and educate yourself about the real situations your likely to face. Avoid them at every opportunity if you can....have a plan and a back up....and train train train!
Scenarios like those above are the ones that you need to run through in your mind...and there simply is no substitute for training training and more training....

Last edited by Coffee Mate; 03-29-2008 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: ....

Old 03-29-2008, 07:43 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Its a fact that most encounters involving a legal gun dont end in gunfire.
You should be prepared to use it if you draw but 90% of the time as soon as they realize you are not helpless the bad guys retreat. At that point, your not in danger anymore & if you decide to shoot might find that your now the criminal.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
For concealed carry the PPKS is my choice. I favor hollow point ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting