Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:37 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Its a fact that most encounters involving a legal gun dont end in gunfire.
You should be prepared to use it if you draw but 90% of the time as soon as they realize you are not helpless the bad guys retreat. At that point, your not in danger anymore & if you decide to shoot might find that your now the criminal.
Thats for sure, I believe our sherrif issued 4,600 ccw permits in Kern county and I think there has only been one shooting by a ccw holder in the last 10 years and only a few ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 06:08 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
was going through my storage lately,found some photo albums and my dad's shooting trophies and stuff.Today I took out the Ruger for the first time in a year and decided to photo it with my dad's military photos and trophies.

I have a few that he has passed on to me,but this Ruger he had for a long time and I think he used it in his competitions,wish I had his .45 he used but he sold that a long time ago.

I love and respect my father much,we haven't always seen eye to eye on everything but his love is true and same back at him.He was a lifer in the Army.Was in Korea,was in Germany where he met my mom (I'm adopted).Was in Vietnam,something to do with helicopters where he got shrapel in his back.I remember being at Ft Rucker as a little kid and him taking me on the flight line to see the Huey's.

4 or 5 years ago he visited and I took him out shooting,his eyes aren't so good anymore yet he put me to shame with his target groupings.And he hadn't fired a firearm in a long time.I visited him in D.C last year,we talk every week on the phone,he has had a huge impact in my life even in ways he may not know.

Wish dad could have been with me today to instruct me.This is the first time I have fired a handgun in a year,been shooting rifle only.Well I need to raise elevation,I'm now shooting 6 o'clock instead of point of aim on sodas can.

The first group was kinda tight but my arm quickly got tired and the groups expanded wide.Dad would be cussing me out if he saw these targets lol.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times
The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible
victory in defense.
The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is
more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is
supplemental.

As once said:

1. Don't
pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll
just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The re
porter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him
'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a .46.'

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on
his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
brought my rifle.'

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait,
there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in
the house. I said I did. She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!' To
which I said, of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!' She
then asked, 'Are you that afraid of some one evil coming into your house?' My
reply was, 'No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire
either, but I have fire exting uishers around, and they are all loaded
too.' To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't
loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.

I'm a firm believer of the
2nd Amendment!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
I have been shooting and hunting with pistols and revolvers for over 35 years. It is one of the few pleasures in my life that I can do myself and not have to pay alot of money to someone to enjoy.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 PM

60 posts, read 203,850 times
That was a touching story Lionking, kind of mirrors my dad. Mine was in Vietnam as a Marine grunt and I am also adopted. We used to shoot every couple weekends but I keep moving around and the local range closed. I do usually out shoot him with everything but lever guns and AR's though.

I used to own a Ruger .22 but I traded it for a Remington 700. Now I am looking for another .22 pistol but I'm not sure if I want a Ruger. I know they are nice and accurate but I cant stand Ruger's politics, mainly I hate how hard the disassembly is. I will probably just get a Browning, S&W, or a conversion kit for a Glock or 1911.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:38 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
I picked up this Colt M1909 last month of of gunbroker,got it for half of what one usually sells for.I haven't even shot it yet but I did pick up a box of .45 Colt so soon I will.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
It shore is purty!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
How many will be celebrating the 4th as John Adams predicted?

"...I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade with shows, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more--"

We're headed to the range tomorrow to pay homage to our imperfect but wonderful Nation (as well as to celebrate the confirmation of our 2nd Amendment rights!). Are we alone?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:26 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,975 times
Do any of you guys have a CZ pistol? They look pretty slick and it seems a lot of dealers have been getting surplus shipments of these. Just curious if anyone has experience with one and what your opinion was.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,534 times
Here's a website that you might find of interest: [URL="http://www.opencarry.org"]www.opencarry.org[/URL]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting