Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:09 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

I watched Obama deliver yet another address from his podium about a mass shooting this time at the college in Oregon.

There was something in his tone and eye that has me a bit nervous. He has another year in office and he could whip out his executive action poison pen and start attacking gun rights.
He is not a fan of the second amendment and I think this might be the time that he chooses to go after it. It would be a huge uphill battle to amend or ban guns but he could do damage to what many of us see as heritage.

Guns in the hands of good brave men with freedom in their hearts is what made America great.

The trouble with a liberal politician is he doesn't make the distinction between a legal law abiding gun owner and a criminal. Of course it is much easier to make new laws that inhibit the law abiding but it is not so easy to shut down the criminals who use guns even though there are so many laws already on the books.

Criminals by definition do not obey the law.

I am nervous that Obama is "gunning" for the rights of law abiding citizen gun owners and that is really scary because what they don't realize is that without the Second amendment we wouldn't have the First.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:24 AM

510 posts, read 609,471 times
Ugh. It's been six years of people screaming that Obama is gonna take our guns, and six years of Obama doing absolutely nothing to take your guns. In fact gun rights have expanded under Obama. You can now carry your guns in national parks, for example, a right that Ronald Reagan (of all people) took away from you!

Yes Obama speaks a lot about trying to reduce gun violence thru new/stronger legislation (unfortunately usually after a bunch of kids have just been killed by a crazy guy with a gun), but other than briefly trying to reinstate the ban on assault rifles (which he quickly abandoned) he hasn't done anything to limit gun rights.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Don't worry. When it comes to gun rights vs people's rights, gun rights always win in this country.

Plus we clearly had the 1st amendment before the second. You can count right?

Old 10-02-2015, 09:25 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I'm just as mad as Obama... the difference between me and him is that I'm mad and sick of crazy whack-a-nuts going on random murder sprees, not inanimate chunks of metal, plastic and wood. Banning guns is like trying to get rid of your lawn's dandelion problem by picking the yellow flowers off and I'm not about to give away my own means of protection in a world full of crazies both official and otherwise.

The government is apparently completely unable to do anything besides banning things, which is no solution at all. Meanwhile, I wade through dozens of mentally ill homeless people aggressively begging for change downtown everyday and read about a new random shooting spree every month.

Our society is like a zoo... and as everyone who's worked in a zoo knows, the animals themselves tend to go crazy in a zoo environment. Until we do something to safely and humanely take care of our mentally ill and remake our world into a place that isn't so conducive to creating mental illness, the senseless killing will go on.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 AM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
The Europeans say our problem is our country is so big. What is ok in one part is not ok in another part. I can see having a gun in Arizona if you've got rattlesnakes and out in the desert dying and you have to shoot a cactus to get water. But not in NYC.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:06 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Ugh. It's been six years of people screaming that Obama is gonna take our guns, and six years of Obama doing absolutely nothing to take your guns. In fact gun rights have expanded under Obama. You can now carry your guns in national parks, for example, a right that Ronald Reagan (of all people) took away from you!

Yes Obama speaks a lot about trying to reduce gun violence thru new/stronger legislation (unfortunately usually after a bunch of kids have just been killed by a crazy guy with a gun), but other than briefly trying to reinstate the ban on assault rifles (which he quickly abandoned) he hasn't done anything to limit gun rights.
Only because he was completely and utterly ineffective.

I'm not particularly worried about my guns or ammo. I got one of the NRA's scaremongering calls on Wednesday where they asked me for more money. The reality is that there are too many guns in the country and they are too deeply ingrained in the culture to do much. Probably the strongest reason not much will change is because there are many market incentives to keep the laws relatively lax, whereas there are few economic incentives for stronger regulation or prohibition.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Why is anyone nervous? "Gun rights" are self-preserving. That is why you HAVE a gun, in part, as per the intentions of our Founding Fathers. Your gun IS your right to own your gun.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
It's all good ,
Every time Obama opens his mouth, gun sales takes spike.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:29 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Only because he was completely and utterly ineffective.

I'm not particularly worried about my guns or ammo. I got one of the NRA's scaremongering calls on Wednesday where they asked me for more money. The reality is that there are too many guns in the country and they are too deeply ingrained in the culture to do much. Probably the strongest reason not much will change is because there are many market incentives to keep the laws relatively lax, whereas there are few economic incentives for stronger regulation or prohibition.
Just another reason why I won't join the NRA so they can support conservative policies that I don't agree with.

Nobody is coming for our guns unless you are a criminal and even then you have to be caught doing something illegal to warrant seizure.

It's only the paranoid who buy into the NRA BS. and send money. Or those who need NRA membership to join a gun club.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:34 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Forget the guns.
We have a PEOPLE problem.
When will some politician figure out a way to do something about the REAL problem?
Sure, it sounds trite, and the anti-gunners hate it, but it is absolutely true:
GUNS do not kill people! PEOPLE kill people!
Since the perp in the Oregon case seems to have been questioning people about their religion before shooting them, perhaps such people deserve a closer look for possible terrorist tendencies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting