Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:48 PM

569 posts, read 547,697 times

Advertisements

The Carbines vs. Rifles

The latest news says the U.S. Armed Forces are about switching M16 rifles to the carbines. This is an odd change to me as switching the rifles back to the muskets. So I search the web about the M14s for their performances and designs, but they don’t tell whether an M14 has rifling. So I take the carbines are smooth-bore.

A reason that the Chinese forces in the WWII used the carbines, that was because the Chinese soldiers were only physically fit for the M4s. Furthermore,the theatres that received the aids were Burma, Laos etc. where a rifle would be too cumbersome. Then the later role of the army went to the defensive role. The ranges were rather no necessary no more. However, I didn’t see a reason of a continental defender switching the rifles to carbines.

Would you prefer a carbine over rifle?

A pic telling the physical ratios of a WW2 Asian with the rifle:

Last edited by CPPU12345; 11-21-2015 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 11:09 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,960,215 times
You're all sorts of drunk tonight I think.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:38 PM

What are you expecting with a normal guy who lives in Asia, where the simple honesty gets you killed? If I make perfect senses, I would be either very vicious or insane. No sober people could live here. We are all beasts or beast-likes.

My question was why the US planned to switch the rifles to muskets?

Last edited by CPPU12345; 11-21-2015 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: where the simple honesty

Old 11-22-2015, 06:19 AM

7,925 posts, read 12,626,985 times
I think the reason could be better maneuverability in close quarters. Inside buildings the additional length of an M16 is a handicap.

It doesn't seem as if you are giving up a lot of capability.

M-16 Effective range 550 meters (point target), 800 meters (area target)
Muzzle velocity 3,110 ft/s (948 m/s)

M-4 500 m for a point target and 600 m for an area target
2900 ft/sec (884 m/sec)

Another small benefit is weight; the M4 comes in at 6.9lbs with 30 rounds while the M16 weighs 8.79lbs.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:35 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,081,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
My question was why the US planned to switch the rifles to muskets?
I think you are confused about a few things.

A musket is a smooth bore firearm that was widely used before rifling was invented. A modern counterpart to this concept is shooting Foster slugs through a watefowling shotgun.

A carbine is a rifle with a shorter than normal barrel.

There is no way a modern military would ever go back to equipping smooth bore firearms to their standing armies. The advances in accuracy and range rifled firearms provided to the modern soldier would make such a move as ridiculous as trading modern artillery piece for a catapults or trebuchet.

My Remington 7600 .30-06 pump comes with either a 22 inch normal barrel, or an 18 inch carbine barrel. The shorter barrel of the carbine affects the ballistics slightly, as a shorter barrel translates into a lower velocity for the projectile and a shorter effective range. However, some people prefer the carbine when hunting heavy Ontario bush as it is easier to maneuver and has a faster swing for close shots in tight quarters.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:43 AM

7,572 posts, read 5,288,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I think the reason could be better maneuverability in close quarters. Inside buildings the additional length of an M16 is a handicap.
On the other hand it would think that it would be nice to have an actual battle rifle in the mix, which I suppose is why the M-14 was brought back to a limited degree for the war in Iraq.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

A carbine is a rifle with a shorter than normal barrel.

Okay, thank you for the clarification.

I was thinking why would anybody use a smooth-bore firearm these days, not to mention becoming the standard issue of the regular armed forces. The mentioned stepping back was meant to risk the young men’s lives; because losing in the accuracy is nowaydays bad.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:05 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,791,431 times
I don't think there is any technical reason that an M4 would have any less accuracy than a "full size" M16 or AR-15 rifle. A premium M4 with a good trigger would no doubt give more usable accuracy than the average full size rifle.

A longer barrel, heavier rifle is not necessarily more accurate than a shorter, lighter barrel. A big long rifle will "hang" better on target for slow-fire offhand work for most shooters. A longer barrel gives a longer sight radius if you are using iron sights. For a big Magnum cartridge a longer barrel will give somewhat better ballistics, for the .223 I'm not sure the loss of velocity is that much for an M4.

Most "sandbox" operations are, as I understand the situation, closer range, faster moving fights than were typical years ago. That and if you actually carry any rifle or carbine all day long, it gets heavy towards quitting time. Thus the popularity of the M4.

The word "carbine" is not really that precisely defined. Essentially it's a shorter barreled rifle. If you offer a rifle with a longer and shorter barrel option, generally the shorter one is called the "carbine" version. For old Winchester lever guns, a carbine has a different barrel band setup as well as a shorter barrel than the rifle. These carbines can have problems with the group "walking" as the barrel heats up in sustained fire, if the forward barrel band is tight on both the barrel and the magazine tube, this *may* be partly responsible for the idea that a carbine is less accurate than a rifle.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:13 AM

23,494 posts, read 13,733,755 times
AR wise, I've always bought carbines. They just work better for me and with the -10, 300-500 yards range is still pretty darn decent.

Now, as civilian rifles, they still need to have that 16 inch long barrel.....so they aren't that much different than their 20 inch brothers.

One thing I find interesting if not insane is putting that forward grip post on a rifle for such must be a massive fatigue inducing factor. I would never have a rifle like that by choice.

HOWEVER, I suppose it does have its purposes if one is doing close in fighting where spaces are tight.

IMHO.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:47 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,213,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

The word "carbine" is not really that precisely defined. Essentially it's a shorter barreled rifle. If you offer a rifle with a longer and shorter barrel option, generally the shorter one is called the "carbine" version.
Didn't it used to be that part of the definition of "carbine" was that it was generally chambered in a pistol caliber, so one could use the same ammo in the sidearm and long gun?

I'd like to have one of those original Ruger carbines in .44 Mag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting