Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 10:30 PM

569 posts, read 552,093 times

Advertisements

This is a little out of the thread: but why would you consider an AK? I have heard that AKs were widely inaccurate in hitting a specific target. So you aim your AK at a mother, but the bullet lands on the little girl who holds mom’s hand. But that was what I have heard.

And the 7.65 rounds might be hard to replenish in the times of needing in the U.S.

But for the topic sake, I would buy the original wooden buttstock AK. I’m a pretty traditional guy. In my army armouries, the M1s’ buttstocks havn’t rotten yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 08:36 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,340 times
investing money in soon to be banned guns is a waste of time and money, just look at what happened in California.

all those banned guns are either registered or hidden and never registered, people are afraid to take them out to the public range, unless you want to risk having the police / sheriff dept called on you and have your guns confiscated and get arrested, thats what happens these days in CA

it causes gun owners to fear bringing one of their banned guns to the range, even if it's legally registered, because the police can still confiscate your guns and hi capacity [standard capacity mags] and say because it's a nuisance.

I would save my money, because even if you did buy soon to be banned guns, you would never be able to use them or resell them.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Slightly off topic, but I had the opportunity to fire a fully auto Chinese-made Vietnam-era AK47 in (of all the iconic places) Cu Chi Vietnam last month. Kept on getting feeding failures however...probably hasn't been maintained since it came down the Ho Chi Minh trail in 1968.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:52 AM

269 posts, read 178,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
investing money in soon to be banned guns is a waste of time and money, just look at what happened in California.

all those banned guns are either registered or hidden and never registered, people are afraid to take them out to the public range, unless you want to risk having the police / sheriff dept called on you and have your guns confiscated and get arrested, thats what happens these days in CA

it causes gun owners to fear bringing one of their banned guns to the range, even if it's legally registered, because the police can still confiscate your guns and hi capacity [standard capacity mags] and say because it's a nuisance.

I would save my money, because even if you did buy soon to be banned guns, you would never be able to use them or resell them.
For like the 3rd time

Rifles will be sold LONG before any ban or attempted ban. The person that gets screwed is the idiot that buys the thing at the top of the market during the frenzy, not me. I'm not asking for advice on how to make money. I'm an accountant with a nice portfolio, I got that covered. I'm just asking which of the cheaper AK's are more sought after.

It's as if this concept is new to many of the posters on this sight

Old 12-02-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
This is a little out of the thread: but why would you consider an AK? I have heard that AKs were widely inaccurate in hitting a specific target. So you aim your AK at a mother, but the bullet lands on the little girl who holds mom’s hand. But that was what I have heard.

And the 7.65 rounds might be hard to replenish in the times of needing in the U.S.

But for the topic sake, I would buy the original wooden buttstock AK. I’m a pretty traditional guy. In my army armouries, the M1s’ buttstocks havn’t rotten yet.

Read the original post.

Also, while I'm no expert on AK's, they're far more accurate than most people give them credit for. My buddy's Saiga, which is basically a sporter AK, is just as accurate as either of my AR's or my minie 14 when using open sights (for me). I can keep it on a paper plate sized target at 100 yards, which is plenty accurate for what it's intended for. Now if I decided to put a real scope on one of my AR's, then it's a whole different story. However, my thought is that if I want to shoot a bench gun, I'll shoot my model 700 varmint rifle.

Also, most AK's shoot the 7.62x39. Even here in the states, it's one of the most common rounds. I've never been a fan of the round and prefer the 5.56x45, but it's probably the most proven combat cartridge ever made.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:23 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
For like the 3rd time

Rifles will be sold LONG before any ban or attempted ban. The person that gets screwed is the idiot that buys the thing at the top of the market during the frenzy, not me. I'm not asking for advice on how to make money. I'm an accountant with a nice portfolio, I got that covered. I'm just asking which of the cheaper AK's are more sought after.

It's as if this concept is new to many of the posters on this sight
The concept isn't new, but you make it sound like you're the first person who ever had this idea.

Fact is it's more to do with luck than planning.

If you buy early enough to avoid the market peak, you're taking a gamble that the guns will appreciate more than the loss by being used (even if you've never fired them unless you're a commercially licensed dealer you're not going to avoid that loss).

If you buy when the writing is on the wall, you're going to buy at near peak and hope to make a little profit, and risk being left with a garage full of AK's that you can't sell.

Say you buy at $500 (that's not peak price either, that's pretty normal) and sell during the frenzy at $1000, you have 40, you need to sell at least 20 to break even, if you don't reach 20 you're already at a loss, if you sell 21 you've invested $20,000 for $1,000 profits and have merchandise you can no longer legally sell. Any FFL at the time will be buying wholesale, because they are mitigating their risks of having excessive unsellable stock remaining and wholesale prices are much more stable than retail, and probably selling for the same price, so they're off the table

You will be buying retail, and FFL's buy wholesale (which isn't much cheaper, but is still cheaper) and you'd be competing with them during a pre-ban (or threat of ban) frenzy, an FFL can order 100 AK's and have them delivered, you could go to an FFL and try that and see how far it gets you now.

At best before your FFL's in the area think there's something weird going on will probably sell you maybe 50 AK's (if there's like 10 stores within easy reach). You can't avoid this by using Gunbroker or Guns American either, because those stores will be doing your paperwork for the transfer. If they think something weird is going on, you may get a visit from the local PD, or BATFE, that's not going to look good as an accountant, just sayin'.

Problem is that even with inflated prices close to a ban (or even the threat of one), you're not going to make much money without volume, and volume puts you at risk of BATFE (running a commercial firearms dealership without a license). Even at best you're only going to be making 10's of thousands if you're really good, lucky and careful, and for the risks 10's of thousands isn't worth it. Go invest the money in some penny stocks, or a kickstarter, you might just make a whole lot more with less overall risk, sure you may lose money, but not your license to be an accountant, or your legal investments, or your freedom by being in jail.

The idea isn't even half baked, the flour, eggs and butter are still sitting in their packages on the counter and you've yet to find a mixing bowl.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
The concept isn't new, but you make it sound like you're the first person who ever had this idea.

Fact is it's more to do with luck than planning.

If you buy early enough to avoid the market peak, you're taking a gamble that the guns will appreciate more than the loss by being used (even if you've never fired them unless you're a commercially licensed dealer you're not going to avoid that loss).

If you buy when the writing is on the wall, you're going to buy at near peak and hope to make a little profit, and risk being left with a garage full of AK's that you can't sell.

Say you buy at $500 (that's not peak price either, that's pretty normal) and sell during the frenzy at $1000, you have 40, you need to sell at least 20 to break even, if you don't reach 20 you're already at a loss, if you sell 21 you've invested $20,000 for $1,000 profits and have merchandise you can no longer legally sell. Any FFL at the time will be buying wholesale, because they are mitigating their risks of having excessive unsellable stock remaining and wholesale prices are much more stable than retail, and probably selling for the same price, so they're off the table

You will be buying retail, and FFL's buy wholesale (which isn't much cheaper, but is still cheaper) and you'd be competing with them during a pre-ban (or threat of ban) frenzy, an FFL can order 100 AK's and have them delivered, you could go to an FFL and try that and see how far it gets you now.

At best before your FFL's in the area think there's something weird going on will probably sell you maybe 50 AK's (if there's like 10 stores within easy reach). You can't avoid this by using Gunbroker or Guns American either, because those stores will be doing your paperwork for the transfer. If they think something weird is going on, you may get a visit from the local PD, or BATFE, that's not going to look good as an accountant, just sayin'.

Problem is that even with inflated prices close to a ban (or even the threat of one), you're not going to make much money without volume, and volume puts you at risk of BATFE (running a commercial firearms dealership without a license). Even at best you're only going to be making 10's of thousands if you're really good, lucky and careful, and for the risks 10's of thousands isn't worth it. Go invest the money in some penny stocks, or a kickstarter, you might just make a whole lot more with less overall risk, sure you may lose money, but not your license to be an accountant, or your legal investments, or your freedom by being in jail.

The idea isn't even half baked, the flour, eggs and butter are still sitting in their packages on the counter and you've yet to find a mixing bowl.
I have access to several of these rifles right now. The problem is they're not all the same, so I'm trying to figure out which ones are worth buying.

I've done the math, and the cost of the transfer doesn't dramatically cut into my profit. I wouldn't be competing with FFLs, nor would I be selling to them. I get what you're saying about making it worth my while and how difficult moving 40 rifles would be; however, I'm only looking at moving 5-10 rifles, which could easily be done by word of mouth where I live. I would never drop the type of money you're talking about into a somewhat risky investment like this. The $2500-5000 I could make would be easy work and a fast turn around. The worst that could happen is I break even, or I get stuck with some new toys : ( I agree that spending 5k on a vintage guitar or a large precious stone is a much better investment, but those types of investments pay out over long periods of time in most cases. This is just something that is a no brainier way to make some quick cash. I have no doubt that if a D gets elected people will stop thinking clearly again.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:52 PM

215 posts, read 185,430 times
I think whatever you get, get duplicates and working / nonworking ones you can swap parts between
They make guns jam on purpose, so you won't be able to withstand military-grade combat
So...
Do with that what you want
And stop spending so much money just to get a gun that may fall apart after awhile
Find out how to "get the real deal" not some over-hyped P.O.S. mentioned in a gun magazine

Old 12-03-2015, 06:08 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
I have access to several of these rifles right now. The problem is they're not all the same, so I'm trying to figure out which ones are worth buying.

I've done the math, and the cost of the transfer doesn't dramatically cut into my profit. I wouldn't be competing with FFLs, nor would I be selling to them. I get what you're saying about making it worth my while and how difficult moving 40 rifles would be; however, I'm only looking at moving 5-10 rifles, which could easily be done by word of mouth where I live. I would never drop the type of money you're talking about into a somewhat risky investment like this. The $2500-5000 I could make would be easy work and a fast turn around. The worst that could happen is I break even, or I get stuck with some new toys : ( I agree that spending 5k on a vintage guitar or a large precious stone is a much better investment, but those types of investments pay out over long periods of time in most cases. This is just something that is a no brainier way to make some quick cash. I have no doubt that if a D gets elected people will stop thinking clearly again.
You are planning on making only one month or less earned income from this scheme?

And risking a felony conviction, 5 years in Federal Pen, and up to $100k in fines. You've even stated on here your intention is to buy to resell at a profit which can be used as a statement of prior intent of being in the business of dealing firearms (a violation of 18 USC 922(a)(1)(A)).

Forget about it, for $5k it's not worth your while based on the risks you're running. BATFE doesn't care if your trying to sell one rifle or 100 rifles, if you're intending solely buy to resell for profit, then they can and will nail you to the wall.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:28 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Also, while I'm no expert on AK's, they're far more accurate than most people give them credit for. My buddy's Saiga, which is basically a sporter AK, is just as accurate as either of my AR's or my minie 14 when using open sights (for me). I can keep it on a paper plate sized target at 100 yards, which is plenty accurate for what it's intended for. Now if I decided to put a real scope on one of my AR's, then it's a whole different story. However, my thought is that if I want to shoot a bench gun, I'll shoot my model 700 varmint rifle.
The inaccuracy reputation more or less stems around full autofire.

Ak's use a piston to rack the action which does contribute to some barrel flex when in motion. Combine that what the recoil of a decent weight bullet and you just have a lot of movement going on while in the midst of "spray and pray"

Shoot it semi, and it's fairly accurate if in decent condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting