Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 03:51 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times

Advertisements

This isn't a bad idea. Firearms are cheap right now. If Hillary wins there will be another massive run on ammo and assault-style weapons just like what happened in November 2008. Same thing would happen right after a huge shooting spree like what happened after Newtown... like what's happened the past few days at the Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs and the mental health center in San Bernardino. You may have waited too late.

Buy now, sell a week or so after the election.

As for which type? Probably doesn't matter. Panic buyers don't get too picky when the store shelves are bare.

For what it's worth, she'll have just as much luck getting a weapons ban passed as Obama. She, personally, won't have the political power to get it done. But if there's a string of shootings like Newton it may happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 06:42 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
The BATF has successfully prosecuted people for engaging in the business of selling guns without an FFL.

Just something to think about. . .

Old 12-05-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The BATF has successfully prosecuted people for engaging in the business of selling guns without an FFL.
Just something to think about. . .
Yes, for buying and selling large quantities to the point where it was a business. But buying 1-2 guns now and selling a year later?

Old 12-05-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Yes, for buying and selling large quantities to the point where it was a business. But buying 1-2 guns now and selling a year later?
There isn't a threshold number of gun sales that is required. Buying one with the intent to re-sell is a business activity in the eyes of the BATF.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There isn't a threshold number of gun sales that is required. Buying one with the intent to re-sell is a business activity in the eyes of the BATF.
After a little research, this is technically correct and I was wrong. If you buy a single firearm with the intent to resell, whether for profit or not, the BATFE says you are required to get a Federal Firearm's License. That said, the chances of the BATFE having any interest in someone who buys and sells one gun (other than a straw purchase) are pretty remote:
Quote:
18 U.S. Code § 921 - Definitions
(a) As used in this chapter—
(21) The term “engaged in the business” means—
(C) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921 (a)(11)(A), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms;

(22) The term “with the principal objective of livelihood and profit” means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(1) for any person—
(A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; or
My personal opinion is, with the wording above, they'd have a very hard time getting a conviction if someone buys 1-2 guns then sells them a year later. Even so, obvious workaround is to 1) state you are buying with the intent to keep, and there's nothing to stop you from changing your mind; and 2) don't advertise that you are planning a potentially illegal activity on public internet forums.

Finally, please don't take away from this that I'm encouraging you to break the law. Personally, I undergo regular background checks because of my profession so I scrupulously adhere to all laws. My salary is worth a bit more than making a few hundred dollars off a gun sale.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 12-07-2015 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
After a little research, this is technically correct and I was wrong. If you buy a single firearm with the intent to resell, whether for profit or not, the BATFE says you are required to get a Federal Firearm's License. That said, the chances of the BATFE having any interest in someone who buys and sells one gun (other than a straw purchase) are pretty remote:

My personal opinion is, with the wording above, they'd have a very hard time getting a conviction if someone buys 1-2 guns then sells them a year later. Even so, obvious workaround is to 1) state you are buying with the intent to keep, and there's nothing to stop you from changing your mind; and 2) don't advertise that you are planning a potentially illegal activity on public internet forums.

Finally, please don't take away from this that I'm encouraging you to break the law. Personally, I undergo regular background checks because of my profession so I scrupulously adhere to all laws. My salary is worth a bit more than making a few hundred dollars off a gun sale.
I think you are probably right about that. I just wanted to put the information out there so that anyone contemplating this knows what they might be facing.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:38 PM

794 posts, read 818,636 times
Without getting into politics or economics, I'd say: WASR

Check the sights and gas tube for any cant. You want straight examples that shoot as straight as they can.

Try for chrome lined barrel guns.

If you get a WASR (or a few WASR's), invest thirty bucks in a dark red stain and some poly for the furniture. Hit the parker up with some 2000 grit paper and make some nice looking "weathered battlefield pick ups" that will bring that extra hundred bucks per rifle. Make sure to dremel off that barrel nut if so equipped and replace it with a slant break. Maybe even outfit a few with side folders if you can find some wire folders. People go nuts for "forward dong" weathered fore-grips...

God speed little buddy!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:37 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
lol tell your gut that if you buy it as an investment and it gets banned, the state could just confiscate it... then where is your investment?
The investment is in having a reliable, effective, quality weapon with which to prevent that.

Arsenal Bulgaria
Arsenal converted Saiga
Krebs
Rifle Dynamics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting