Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 03:46 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I highly recommend the Ruger SR9 - around $400, 17+1 capacity, VERY slim grip for a double stack (adjustable too), and Ruger's customer service (if needed) is second to none. Try handling one at a range or your LGS, the grip ergonomics are really nice. There is also a compact version, the SR9c

Ruger® SR9® Centerfire Pistol Models
Wow, that seems to hit all the marks on my list--thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 03:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I LOVE, love, love my Ruger LCR revolver .38!

I have small hands and they aren't very strong, but this fits in my hand like it was built just for me.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:47 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I LOVE, love, love my Ruger LCR revolver .38!

I have small hands and they aren't very strong, but this fits in my hand like it was built just for me.
I don't have one of these yet but am thinking about it. You can get the LCR with an exposed hammer for "true DA" action or the original shrouded hammer DA only. I'm leaning towards the former.

And I'm an old gun guy, no problem racking a 1911. But the simplicity of use of the LCR appeals.

OP, you and DW are going to need to put in some practice time on the range. Ideally start shooting an action pistol game like ISPC.

An alternative that has not been discussed so far would be a Beretta in .380 (9mm Short) with the tip-up barrel, allowing loading without racking the slide.

An issue that can come up with the smallest possible 9mm pistols like the Springfield, is that the design is rather extreme, in terms of trying to get the smallest gat that will "run" and not beat itself to death with full house ammo. They tend to be sensitive to a not-firm-enough grip, and malfunction if not held hard. While the wheelgun will go bang all 5 times if DW just manages to pull the trigger through DA.

I really think you need to at least go to a gun show and handle some different gats, see what you and DW actually like. You wouldn't buy shoes without trying them on, right?

Old 12-22-2015, 02:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Revolvers are by far the most reliable but in my practical experience a .38 revolver has way too much recoil for a small woman. If you are stuck on a 9mm, I would recommend a Glock 19 (compact), which I own, Glock 26 (subcompact) or the new Glock 43 (also subcompact).

Old 12-22-2015, 03:11 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
My wife is 5'2 and shots my .357 snub no problem. I have it loaded with .38+P, but she has fired .357 out of it. But I'm sure there are some that would have issues. Being married, I also know it's a bad idea to make generalizations.

Hornaday makes a lite .38 defense round geared towards women. It's even got pink plastic tips on the hollowpoints. That's a good option for the recoil-sensitive.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:26 PM

Thanks for all the additional replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I LOVE, love, love my Ruger LCR revolver .38! I have small hands and they aren't very strong, but this fits in my hand like it was built just for me.
Good to know--thank you. I've always liked the design of revolvers and the ease of loading. I just think they're cool. Now that I know there are some with 8-shot capacity, I'm willing to consider then for HD more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I don't have one of these yet but am thinking about it. You can get the LCR with an exposed hammer for "true DA" action or the original shrouded hammer DA only. I'm leaning towards the former.

And I'm an old gun guy, no problem racking a 1911. But the simplicity of use of the LCR appeals.

OP, you and DW are going to need to put in some practice time on the range. Ideally start shooting an action pistol game like ISPC.
Indeed, we will. I've been thinking--and maybe I'll unthink this--I'd rather buy a gun first rather than rent. Renting rather than buying to me just seems like a waste (as with renting anything). But I realize that buying the wrong gun could be even more expensive.

Quote:
An alternative that has not been discussed so far would be a Beretta in .380 (9mm Short) with the tip-up barrel, allowing loading without racking the slide.
Not a bad idea. My rationale for 9mm is that we need something cheap enough that we don't avoid practicing. Though I do sometimes think to myself "45 is almost as cheap and has much less risk of overpenetration, arguably greater stopping power, and definitely less recoil--and is quieter."

Quote:
An issue that can come up with the smallest possible 9mm pistols like the Springfield, is that the design is rather extreme, in terms of trying to get the smallest gat that will "run" and not beat itself to death with full house ammo. They tend to be sensitive to a not-firm-enough grip, and malfunction if not held hard. While the wheelgun will go bang all 5 times if DW just manages to pull the trigger through DA.

I really think you need to at least go to a gun show and handle some different gats, see what you and DW actually like. You wouldn't buy shoes without trying them on, right?
I have! But yeah, that doesn't always work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Revolvers are by far the most reliable but in my practical experience a .38 revolver has way too much recoil for a small woman. If you are stuck on a 9mm, I would recommend a Glock 19 (compact), which I own, Glock 26 (subcompact) or the new Glock 43 (also subcompact).
If I were to get a revolver, it'd definitely have a long-ish barrel to offset the recoil. I hear good things about Glocks re. reliability, but--no offense--I don't care for the blocky shape. I know--not the point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
My wife is 5'2 and shots my .357 snub no problem. I have it loaded with .38+P, but she has fired .357 out of it. But I'm sure there are some that would have issues. Being married, I also know it's a bad idea to make generalizations.

Hornaday makes a lite .38 defense round geared towards women. It's even got pink plastic tips on the hollowpoints. That's a good option for the recoil-sensitive.
You got tall one, huh? (My wife is even shorter.) I shot a .357 once. Oh. my. God. Fun to do once and probably fun to have as a toy or if you're fully capable of handling it late at night--but for us I think it would be like buying a Formula 1 car to learn to drive in.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:09 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Need some knowledgeable advice. I'm looking to buy a 9mm handgun for home defense and target practice. My wife has tiny hands (glove size 4 or 6), and mine are not huge, either.

I'm looking for something that she can easily grab and quickly shoot in a home-defense situation--so I need either DA/SA or DA only. (I can see her getting flustered having to rack the slide under pressure.) It also needs to not be unduly heavy nor have a long trigger reach.

I would like something high-quality that will last decades in the budget above. (I really like what I read of the Browning Hi-Power but can't justify spending that much.) I've already settled on 9mm for various reasons (cost and capacity, mostly).

Here's what I'm looking at:

Walther PPQ
Sig P320 (interchangeable grips)
HK VP9 (interchangeable grips)
FNS-9
Kahr 9
S&W MP9c (though the stock trigger is reportedly not great)

In order to get a light-ish gun with an easy trigger pull, I'm open to a compact--though most likely I won't end up carrying. We prefer something made in the USA, Germany, Belgium or Austria. And customer service counts for a lot!

I know everyone will say we should go to a gun store and shoot them in person, but there aren't any nearby, most won't let you actually shoot them (just handle them), and it's just easier (and more cost-effective) to buy online.

Thanks for any advice/thoughts.
Why not a .22LR?

Old 12-22-2015, 05:18 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why not a .22LR?
This is not a bad idea. You can get a .22 LR Ruger LCR. It is a 9 round revolver. Can be a good practice "understudy" to a .38 or .357 one.

I'm not sure that trying to optimize "life-cycle costs" for a defensive firearm makes much sense. But I own quite a few gats myself, consider them a hobby as well as being tools.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
This is not a bad idea. You can get a .22 LR Ruger LCR. It is a 9 round revolver. Can be a good practice "understudy" to a .38 or .357 one.
You know--I'm almost embarrassed to say that the syren's song of cheap .22LR ammo had me kind of thinking about that, in that if you shoot someone enough times, they will die. No recoil to speak of, huge capacity, almost as quiet as my old Red Ryder, cheaper than last year's iPhone, and what? A 9-round revolver?! That just sounds FUN.

The one thing I worry about: If a bad guy breaks in and I shoot that entire cylinder at him and am sued by his dirtbag family, won't a jury think I went full rampaging Eastwood/Heston on the dead perp? "The defendant shot the deceased victim NINE times, ladies and gentlemen!"

Of course, if dead dirtbag was in my house uninvited at 2AM, I'd have a pretty solid defense.

But is there a risk of overpenetration with .22LR? That to me is a serious consideration--and another point in favor of the modern-Minie-ball/Celtic hurling stone that is the .45acp round. (Plus it looks like .45 is not that expensive these days--just a few cents more per round.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 12-22-2015 at 06:15 PM..

Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
You kept shooting until the threat is gone.

I just bought a Ruger LCP 380. I can't wait to do some target shooting. I've been eyeing them for years, I finally decided to do it.

My other small gun is a Kel-tec PF-9. It is an okay gun, but not a favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting