Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 08:12 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Have you taken a handgun class? Does your state have requirements for training?

Have you ever hunted? Shot anything? Your post is concerning.
Have you read the rest of the thread? If so, your reading comprehension is concerning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 09:53 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Wouldn't 22WMR be too great a risk of overpenetration if used for HD? Other than that, it sounds pretty great.
With personal defense ammo, I have no concerns regarding overpenetration from the 22 WMR.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:34 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Have you read the rest of the thread? If so, your reading comprehension is concerning.
I am hoping you have more experience than you have posted, because different things you have said, tell me you have no business owning a firearm.

Such as fully unloading the weapon into a victim during a situation. Someone that has training won't have that concern.

I am a huge supporter of guns. I work in the ballistics industry. I have a 12 year old daughter that hunts. She would be able to quickly react in the invent of an intruder in our house, without having the issues you mention are a concern for you.

There is a heck if a lot more to think about when you pick up and fire a weapon into a target. Is it a clean shot? What is beyond my target? Where can the projectile travel? If you do not possess the ability to think and act quickly without putting others in danger, you need to rethink firearms. What type of house are you protecting? Do you live in the country on 2 acres? Are you in a middle town house or an apartment building with buildings surrounding your dwelling?

I stand my my original opinion, of getting a .22LR and practice, practice, practice.

Also, shotguns are better suited for home defense. I will even go as far to say that an AR-15 is by far one of my favorite guns to shoot, and it is extremely intimidating to see. A tactical .22 will give the same look.

I do not even own a handgun, although I am qualified to do so. I live in one of the toughest states for gun control.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:30 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:

The one thing I worry about: If a bad guy breaks in and I shoot that entire cylinder at him and am sued by his dirtbag family, won't a jury think I went full rampaging Eastwood/Heston on the dead perp? "The defendant shot the deceased victim NINE times, ladies and gentlemen!"

Of course, if dead dirtbag was in my house uninvited at 2AM, I'd have a pretty solid defense.

But is there a risk of overpenetration with .22LR? That to me is a serious consideration--and another point in favor of the modern-Minie-ball/Celtic hurling stone that is the .45acp round. (Plus it looks like .45 is not that expensive these days--just a few cents more per round.)
Here in Texas, our "Castle Doctrine" law prevents a dead or wounded perp's survivors from taking you to civil court if the grand jury says it was a good shoot.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:32 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
And don't take this wrong, but if you can't take someone down within 1-3 shots, you have no business owning any guns.
Really? Then 99% of cops shouldn't be issued a firearm.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:46 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
And don't take this wrong, but if you can't take someone down within 1-3 shots, you have no business owning any guns.
According to coroners, quite a few men have taken >3 torso hits to take down in time, much less rounds fired while in actual combat (there is a difference between a shooting and a gunfight).

Old 12-24-2015, 09:10 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Quote:
I am hoping you have more experience than you have posted, because different things you have said, tell me you have no business owning a firearm.

Such as fully unloading the weapon into a victim during a situation. Someone that has training won't have that concern.

I am a huge supporter of guns. I work in the ballistics industry. I have a 12 year old daughter that hunts. She would be able to quickly react in the invent of an intruder in our house, without having the issues you mention are a concern for you.

There is a heck if a lot more to think about when you pick up and fire a weapon into a target. Is it a clean shot? What is beyond my target? Where can the projectile travel? If you do not possess the ability to think and act quickly without putting others in danger, you need to rethink firearms. What type of house are you protecting? Do you live in the country on 2 acres? Are you in a middle town house or an apartment building with buildings surrounding your dwelling?

I stand my my original opinion, of getting a .22LR and practice, practice, practice.

Also, shotguns are better suited for home defense. I will even go as far to say that an AR-15 is by far one of my favorite guns to shoot, and it is extremely intimidating to see. A tactical .22 will give the same look.

I do not even own a handgun, although I am qualified to do so. I live in one of the toughest states for gun control.
Great post!

I started my wife out with a .22 and now she's competent and capable of handling every gun I own.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:53 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Here in Texas, our "Castle Doctrine" law prevents a dead or wounded perp's survivors from taking you to civil court if the grand jury says it was a good shoot.
Wish we had that law in Virginia. Maybe someday. We do have open carry, no permit needed.

Quote:
You asked me if I've ever shot a gun, after I mentioned I've shot guns off and on since I was a kid--not to the degree many have, but I've shot rifles, shotguns, semiauto handguns and revolvers. I've shot skeet and at a gun range. I've had some training via BSA and at gun ranges. And I've talked with lots of gun owners and read a lot in thinking about this purchase.

Thanks for offering to deny my 2A rights, though. Hillary Clinton may have a position for you, should she win (God forbid).

Quote:
...Such as fully unloading the weapon into a victim during a situation. Someone that has training won't have that concern.
Really? If training was so failure-proof, then I guess no soldier, Marine, or police officer has ever shot anyone in error, huh? After all, they get lots of training! And I guess all those people driving like idiots never went to driver's ed!

Quote:
Good for her. I hope you are right. But according to guys who have been in combat and cops who have been in gunfights--I am neither--until the excrement actually hits the impeller, you never really know how for sure how you'll react. I IMAGINE that if I have a .22 handgun, even loaded with the WMR round, I would likely worry that the small caliber won't stop the aggressor fast enough--and that worry, combined with the natural adrenaline rush, would probably cause me to shoot at least the BG is dead on the floor. And although I would rather take that legal risk than not shoot him enough to stop him quickly, it would be better to avoid that risk if possible.

Are you really faulting me for not overestimating my own reaction in a situation I have yet to face?

Quote:
There is a heck if a lot more to think about when you pick up and fire a weapon into a target. Is it a clean shot? What is beyond my target? Where can the projectile travel?
And that's why I keep asking about overpenetration. I don't want to injure any innocent parties in nearby homes.

Quote:
I stand my my original opinion, of getting a .22LR and practice, practice, practice. Also, shotguns are better suited for home defense. I will even go as far to say that an AR-15 is by far one of my favorite guns to shoot, and it is extremely intimidating to see. A tactical .22 will give the same look.

Never took issue with your opinions on firearms and calibers, just with the backhanded insult in your prior comment. The person you should be "concerned" about is the guy who knows nothing about guns, has never shot one, and doesn't ask any questions--just goes and buys one. I may be no expert, but I'm not a complete ignoramus either. Just a guy who doesn't pretend to know everything.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 12-24-2015 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-25-2015, 04:09 PM

149 posts, read 185,510 times
I would strongly suggest you take a serious look at the EAA, Pavona. It is made for a woman, smaller grip, easier slide to rack, and it comes in 9mm. I have the EAA Witness in 45acp, and it has been flawless with over 2,500 rounds through it. I have friends who have various EAA handguns and not one has had a problem, or complaint. These Pavonas are getting rave reviews, and might be just what you are looking for. I would check out the reviews online.

E.T.A.: The Ruger SR9C might work as well. I have the full size SR9, and it too has been rock solid, just not as easy for a woman to rack the slide.

MO

Old 12-28-2015, 05:44 PM

32 posts, read 23,325 times
if your hands are small, you need a Sig P938, a cocked and locked SA pocket 9mm. Have a smith do a trigger job, especially an overtravel stop and enlarge the thumb safety. Luminous sights help a lot, contrary to bs often put about by the ignorant. DA triggers require an "extra" 1/2" of finger length, in order to properly engage the trigger with the correct part of your finger.

Also, Sig makes a $250 .22lr conversion unit for their P938, $250. $100 adds a threaded barrel, for use with a sound suppressor. .22 units are not considered to be guns, so they can be shipped by mail to anyone in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting