Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 12:10 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Set up a camera.
Agreed. Don't "burn" the spot. Have Fish and Game set up a trail cam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 11:13 PM

569 posts, read 552,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I live on a country lane that isn't traveled much. especially go walking every day and noticed a dead deer in late August or early September of this year in a ditch up the road from my property. I didn't think much of it; maybe got hit by a car? (I doubt it since the road isn't one you would take at high speed).
About a month later ANOTHER deer but hunting season had started. The EXACT same spot. I thought maybe it was a deer that got away. Then a Coyote in the SAME SPOT. I started to suspect something but today I found a young deer laying on a piece of cardboard in the same spot. I don't think it was over a year old (small one).

Whoever is doing this is not harvesting any of the meat; they are killing them and dumping. I called the TWRA and they are going to come out and look.

Why would someone do this? Any ideas?
Yes, a nutcase.

I recommend you to take a defensive approach to all the strange mis-approaches; I meant when you were alone with no one else.

Anyway, if the incidents were created by a nutcase, he was trying to stress you out. The guy was reflecting his path on how he became one. Hence, don't be baited. Stand "defensively", you are not Jesus.

These guys were numerous at where I,m living.

Last edited by CPPU12345; 03-15-2016 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: adding: I meant.....

Old 03-20-2016, 11:15 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Same spot every time. I walk a half mile in either direction every day and 4 in the same spot. Safe speed on this road is 30mph; nothing is being hit.
Deer often travel the same path, so much so that there may be observable trails through the woods and fields on which they travel between bedding and feeding areas. These habitual trail habits mean that, often, deer will cross the road in the same spot frequently. Deer often travel at times when visibility is low, and may run into the road with little or no warning, and the driver doesn't see them until it is too late.

What *you* think is a "safe" speed is irrelevant. What is the posted limit? At what speeds do others travel on this road, believing it to be a "safe" speed?

I live in an area where deer are common. There is no posted limit on the road, the laws are such that roads which do not have a posted limit must be considered to have a limit of 45mph even though it is not posted as such. Some folks around here feel that it is "safe" to travel at 65mph on this road, and I have done it myself, occasionally. In fact, given perfect conditions- full sun, dry road, reasonably warm temperature, no pedestrians or farm tractors present, it *IS* perfectly safe to travel at such speed.

But, at times when deer (or moose) may be moving, it is insane to travel at such speeds. During such times I often travel slower than the [unposted] limit, especially in the areas where I know deer often cross the road. Even so, I have been surprised from time to time by one or more deer suddenly appearing in the roadway, and only narrowly avoided a collision.

What you are seeing is more likely to be a result of ignorance than nefarious intent.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:02 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
30MPH is plenty of speed to kill a deer. In my community, the roads are all 25 or 35 and there are dead deer every fall during the rut. How is visibility on this road? Because if there is a deer trail at a hard to see spot where they continuously cross, then they sure can be getting hit. Then they bolt into the ditch and don't have the go to get out so they lay down and die. Just a thought. Deer are all over in my area and yes, there are places that consistently have dead deer at the side of the road!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:41 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Deer are suspectible to being hit at night by cars traveling at any speed. This is due to the way their brains shut down causing full paralysis when bright light hits their eyes.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:04 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
And such smart things they are, it's not always the car that hits the deer!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:28 PM

569 posts, read 552,313 times
Just believe! They were the accidents causing by the traffics.

Thinking too much makes you nut, too.

Leaving the cases to the nutcases. Whoever did dump the deer bodies purposely, he lost sleeps.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:41 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Wonder how the deer got the cardboard under him after he was hit by a car?

Wonder how the coyote got hit by a car. Usually they are more cautious.

Seriously though; someone is dumping them. The EXACT same spot for all of the dead animals.

(I haven't found any since hunting season ended. I intend to set up a trail camera in the fall at that spot to identify the dumper. I don't want that stuff near my home attracting coyotes and other pests.)

Old 03-26-2016, 05:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
I live on a country lane that isn't traveled much. I go walking every day and noticed a dead deer in late August or early September of this year in a ditch up the road from my property. I didn't think much of it; maybe got hit by a car? (I doubt it since the road isn't one you would take at high speed).
About a month later ANOTHER deer but hunting season had started. The EXACT same spot. I thought maybe it was a deer that got away. Then a Coyote in the SAME SPOT. I started to suspect something but today I found a young deer laying on a piece of cardboard in the same spot. I don't think it was over a year old (small one).

Whoever is doing this is not harvesting any of the meat; they are killing them and dumping. I called the TWRA and they are going to come out and look.

Why would someone do this? Any ideas?

I have heard of cases locally where property owners were distressed by the number of expensive landscaping plants that the deer were eating. Law enforcement was no help so they decided to take the law into their own hands, shooting and surreptitiously disposing of the deer carcasses. Likewise for coyotes and that were threatening family pets.

Perhaps your lane is just a convenient place to dump the carcasses. ?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:43 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I found a spot the lake employees are using to rid of all dead animals. I kept seeing vultures landing and we investigated it. This was years ago and they are still using that same spot for roadkill and even any fish that washes up.

STINKY spot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting